Day 24 logging---Boy do I eat a lot!

Options
I'm Allison. I'm 28 5'6 207 pounds. I'm on day 24 of logging and probably day 13 of using a fitbit.

I wasn't always overweight. I was at a healthy weight throughout childhood but towards my later teen years I was severely underweight because I wouldn't eat.

The past 24 days have been eye opening. My goal was 1600 calories a day but I was closer to 2000 on average. If I don't try to put extra effort into moving I usually only take about 4000 steps a day. I have a sedentary job and in the evenings I am studying for a professional exam.

I haven't been able to weigh myself for about 2 weeks but I am pretty sure I haven't changed in weight.

Someone suggested that I make my diary public but I am embarassed. I am eating crap! I know it. I know what I am doing wrong. I just can't will myself to change. I think I need to put myself on set plan. I need to plan ahead.

Feel free to add me as a friend on here and or fitbit https://www.fitbit.com/user/36S7MZ

Replies

• Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're not ready to fully commit, it's not going to matter if your diary is open or not. It's good that you're logging and now you can see where your trouble spots are. I eat most of my calories between 1-4 so I know to be careful about what I'm picking up or I will graze through 500-700 calories so fast! Get some **motivational** friends here and swap out some bad food for better choices and you'll be on your way!
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi! This is definitely eye opening, for sure! I can't believe how much I used to eat over my suggested cal. Not only that but this shows sodium, carbs.. everything! I am a carb lover but this has helped me cut back a bit.
  • Tandysbooty
    Tandysbooty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You never know by making it public, it may be the motivation to help swap some higher cal foods. I know that it has stopped me giving in at times as I knew it would be there for all to see. But keep it honest if you do decide to go public as not logging everything is only cheating yourself. Good luck :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do now, is take a close look at those days and pick out the foods, beverages, or meals that are wasting a lot of your calories. And one by one decide if you could eliminate them or find a lower cal substitute and still be happy.

For example, I used to drink a lot of soda, and I found that subbing in tea, coffee, diet drinks and more water would work for me. Sometimes I still have a soda, but I cut out several hundred calories a week.

On the other hand, I love ice cream more than air. Nothing works as a substitute for me. So I work to fit some ice cream into my calories and find other stuff to cut!

Also, maybe try keeping notes on how satisfied you feel after eating each meal, how long it is until you are hungry again. This will help you pinpoint which types of foods fill you up and make you happy. And you will also possibly discover some high cal foods that just don't keep you satiated and aren't worth it.

Good luck!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Nothing will change unless you want it to change and it won't happen overnight.

Logging really does help, even if your diary is private. I used to love things like chocolatey-chocolate milk, but that Hershey's syrup and full fat milk was one of the first things to go!

I still have a glass of wine every night and occasional other treats. It took me over a year to lose 20 pounds -- and I want to lose 5 more. That is taking a very long time!