Noob Questions - Lift Heavy but not with machines

Options
I have been on the board long enough to realize there is a very strong following for the "lift heavy (whatever heavy is for you and can be done in proper form)" camp and that few recommend the cardio-bunny fitness approach but what I can't really discern from the posts I have read is why a weight workout using the gym machines are not recommended or respected. Can anyone enlighten me?

What are the benefits to free weights or conversely the downsides to using the machines at the gym?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The "problem" with machines is that they tend to isolate the muscle. So something like leg extensions really focuses the effort on the quads with relatively little tension on other muscles. Conversely, a squat will target the quads, but because your body has to not only move the weight, but also stablize it, you're core, back, arms, calves, etc also get worked. As such, free weight lifts generally have more "functional" benefit in real life as they simulate motions that you commonly do in real life.

It's not that machines aren't good (they are), it's just that free weights are better. The potential downside to free weights is that there is MUCH more need to use proper form/technique to get the most out of the lift and to avoid injuries.

So speaking very generally... if you're doing it right, free weights will give far more bang for the buck. If you're not doing it right, machines are much safer.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i stay away from machines because they take away the benefit of stability , and they also don't force you to use perfect form. and you don't have to use your brain much with the machines, and for me lifting is as much mental as it is physical.

The stable machines have been helpful for me during my knee surgery rehab, but for me that's just about it.

this excludes the the cable machines, i use them all the time for accessory work.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    SunFlwr324 wrote: »
    I have been on the board long enough to realize there is a very strong following for the "lift heavy (whatever heavy is for you and can be done in proper form)" camp and that few recommend the cardio-bunny fitness approach but what I can't really discern from the posts I have read is why a weight workout using the gym machines are not recommended or respected. Can anyone enlighten me?

What are the benefits to free weights or conversely the downsides to using the machines at the gym?

Barbells are awesome if you like barbells. Dumbbells are awsome if you like dumbbells. Machines are awesome if you like machines. Same for resistance bands, bodyweight trainining, any type of class, sport and so on. What would you like to do?
    If you are already in good shape, and have very specific targets then there is definite a need for a specific program and tools. You are not going to compete in bodybuilding while avoiding actually lifting weights. But if you are just beginning and trying to decide what to do, start with whtever sounds more fun to you, or more comfortable. Be open to different activities and equipement, and find a program or class based on that. And if you read a generic negative comment about a certain physical activity or equipment, all you have learned is that the poster making the dismissive comment is not someone with much experience in fitness.
  • SunFlwr324
    SunFlwr324 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your clarifications and comments ... Much appreciated :-)