Struggling to meet my intake goals!! Suggestions?

Options
I am struggling to meet my daily intake goals. It seems like if I meet my caloric goals, I go wayyyy over on my sodium and/or sugar goals! I started today to try and monitor those since Diabetes and High BP run rampant in my family. I just need a few suggestions on some foods that have calories but little sugars or sodium!

Replies

• h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • LavendersMom
    LavendersMom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I became a label reader.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to meet my daily intake goals. It seems like if I meet my caloric goals, I go wayyyy over on my sodium and/or sugar goals! I started today to try and monitor those since Diabetes and High BP run rampant in my family. I just need a few suggestions on some foods that have calories but little sugars or sodium!

Actually, staying w/in sodium and sugar is kinda easy. I only looked at your Diary for today, but I would say that you need to start Reading Labels of the foods you choose. Example: You chose a Diet Soda that has 130mg of sodium per 12 oz, that's pretty high; You chose Frozen veggies that are ALREADY Salted (that's fine IF you do not add any more salt while cooking or at the table;) you eat String Cheese, actually Most Deli products are HIGH Salt and many have Nitrites (Choose low/No Sodium items, UNTIL you can ween OFF of them.) When you buy frozen and canned products look for No Sodium added (Most grocery Stores carry these Now; give up/Reduce eating Frozen Low Calorie Meals, they are Loaded with Salt.)

You have to become AWARE what you buy, you must look at ALL the Nutrient Info - Not Just the Calories. The SAME works with Sugars. But it is My understanding that the Main problem in eating with Diabetes is Carbs; they BREAK Down into "sugars" in the Body, so mainly you should be eating LOW GLYCEMIC Carbs (so Fruit is Ok, in moderation but WILL make your sugar count high) that is why it is very important to Research and get Info on your Own about an eating Plan that is Best for YOU.
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    Very informative! Thank you!