Vacation next week - how to not blow it?

Options
I am traveling to welcome home my husband next week, without children, first time in 4 years! (We have four children, one of whom is autistic, momma is due for a break)
Any suggestions on how to "be good." I am usually not a drinker, but am considering have a drink or two.

Replies

• Ekeras
    Ekeras Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm going on vacation in less than a month too and was wondering the same thing. I'm going to an all-inclusive resort which will make controlling eating and drinking VERY hard. My plan was to utilize the resort's gym and keep up with my running regime... which will allow me to relax a bit when it comes to food & drinks. Also to remember not to binge eat, make healthier choices even though I'm on vacation. I also plan on continuing to log my calories (if I can), so I know what range I'm in while I'm away.

Good luck! let me know how you did it!
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    sounnds like an interesting topic. holz are so easy to blow out. i would be interested in answers aswell xx
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    try to eat only fruit or eggs for breakfast.
    Salad for lunch and have a little fun for supper.
  • lbailey55
    lbailey55 Posts: 2
    Options
    i would get an appetite suppressant and if you dont want to do that drink two full glasses of water each time before you eat and you will feel full a lot quicker. go for the healthier choices of course but the water will really help.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Well, the first thing I would say is recognize that things won't be ideal and plan for it. Try to incorporate exercise into what you do - even if it's just walking. The more exercise and extra exercise beyond what you do now that you can do, the better off you will be. The next thing I would suggest would be to make healthy choices. You know that you won't be in as controlled of an environment as you've had when not on vacation, so there will be lots of variables. If possible, bring healthy snacks with you. Also, they typical things like Stay away from foods that are fried and opt for broiled or baked instead. Go easy on the sweets and treats and try replacing them with healthier things like fruit. Try to use the same principles you've used when not on vacation - drink lots of water, go easy on salt, eat slowly to truly know when you're full. Above all else, do enjoy yourself, and recognize that when it's over, you will get back to reality, and start back on your journey. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, and something you want to be able to maintain for the rest of your life. There will be other vacations and you will have to use the tools you've learned to help you for the rest of your life.
  • rjp3399
    rjp3399 Posts: 9
    Options
    Just come back from 10 days away in Tunisia and managed to gain 10lbs, I kept the drinks in touch only 1 or 2 a day avoided beer completely, and tried to keep active, where I think I failed was not drinking enough water (substitued by other drinks) and trying a little bit of everything at meal times ( All inclusive is bad for you !! :-) ), and not increasing the activity level to match the intake. Whilst not intentional at the back of my mind when the plain chocloate truffles (and other goodies) were on the desert buffet, someone kept saying it's only one and you're on holiday and of course there was mopre than one desert !!!!!

It is difficult, I've just worked that little bit harder since I got back to compensate......now I need another holiday.......
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Vacations are my free time. I log everything, but just or the record. I don't track or count while I'm on vacation. That's my get away from normal day to day, avoid stress triggers, relax and enjoy myself time. A few days or a week of eating freely isn't going to destroy everything you've done to this point. I just came back from a five day trip to see family and friends in Arizona. I ate basically whatever I wanted for those five days and had an amazing time not having to care about calories, carbs, sugar, etc. And made the trip that much more relaxin not worrying about where people were choosing to ear and if I'd be able to find anything decent on the menu.

Yeah, I came back a few pounds heavier. Yeah, those few pounds are already gone again. And that was with a few almost 6000 calorie days. So don't stress, enjoy yourself, go enjoy some amazing time with your hubby and just get back on track when you get back home. :)