IIFYM Diet as a Vegetarian - High protein, low carb options?

Options
I've recently started tracking my macros on an IIFYM diet, and so far I've found it impossible to hit my protein without going way over my carbs! Seems like every vegetarian option with a significant amount of protein in it also has a lot of carbs and I am still not able to reach my protein requirements at the end of the day.
Anybody have suggestions for options?

Replies

• christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a vegetarian and Greek yogurt is my number one protein source! I love it!

Just 1 cup of Plain Nonfat Greek yogurt has 23 grams of protein and just 9g of carbs. I recommend Fage and Chobani.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars and protein supplements
  • meganvd
    Options
    That is an awesome suggestion thank you!! Do you add anything to add some flavour? I love greek yogurt but I don't enjoy just plain
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I buy FAGE 0% Greek yogurt, but I've also come to accept the fact that my carbs will be higher than most. I try to make sure that they are complex carbs and I also try to get most of my carbs in between breakfast and lunch so that I am burning them when I go to the gym.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Black soybeans
    Soybeans

Do you eat dairy? Do you eat eggs?
  • kbeard26
    kbeard26 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found it impossible to eat vegetarian and do low carb. If you eat eggs and cheese you can eat that but it gets old very quick. Jay Robb egg protein is the lowest carb I think for a protein shake. I gave up on it because even good vegetables like kale has a ton of carbs per serving. There's always tofu and mock meat but you don't want to eat too much of that stuff.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's a few ideas:

Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Beans
    Tofu
    Leafy greens
    Eggs
    Protein powder
    Protein bars
    Seitan
  • christinehuds
    Options
    Yes, I meant to mention how to make it taste better. Thanks for asking!

When I first started eating Greek yogurt, I found the taste to be repulsive. Haha. I started by adding a teaspoon or so of local honey and mixing it in really well, and maybe a few berries as well! I now can eat it plain ... like by the spoonful! It takes a while to acquire the taste, but I think you'll get there!
  • heybrodudeman
    heybrodudeman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Beans! Tofu, seitan, tempeh!, quinoa (yeah it has 38g carbs in a cup, but 5g fiber, 8g protein, and just general good micronutrients).

I'm mostly vegan and I never get near the default carb values that MFP sets for goals. I'm usually over the fat and protein, and I'm not even trying for low-carb.

What kinds of highcarb/high protein options do you mean?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Are you okay with protein powders? Whey protein is going to be very helpful - pick one with lower carbs
  • christinehuds
    Options
    Oh, and also, Quorn and Boca make wonderful meatless products. Quorn's products are soy-free, but Boca products are not. They have good protein with few carbs! Some are high in sodium though, so be sure to check the nutrition and ingredients.
  • meganvd
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I've just been struggling to drop weight for months. The exercise part of it is right on track but it seems no matter how healthy I eat I'm just seeing no progress, which is why I'm worried about going over my carbs consistently. I've yet to have an issue going over my fat requirements.

To answer a few of you, yes I do eat dairy and eggs - just no meat.. I will have to keep trying things out.
  • benczean
    benczean Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too and was concerned about meeting my protein intake. I recently started drinking EAS brand whey protein shakes (especially on days I work out), in an effort to get more protein. I blend it with 1% milk and I think the chocolate flavor tastes just like a chocolate milkshake. It's relatively low carb and I think they make some low carb whey protein mixes as well.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check my diary. I'm a moderate carb veggie. I keep my protein to around 100g and my carbs under 150g (net is lower with fiber).

I mostly get my protein from Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and lentils. Because they're all my favorites :smile: I supplement with Quest bars and protein powder.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It's going to be tough as a vegetarian to hit the protein goals they put out on that website. Note that IIFYM is not a diet and there is no one size fits all macro ratio...the whole concept was born out of the body building industry and that calculator is simply capitalizing on the concept...being that it was born out of the body building industry, protein amounts are very high...last I checked they were recommending 1 gram per Lb when really, more than 1 gram per Lb of LBM is overkill IMO.

It's going to be very difficult to low carb as a vegetarian and hit those kind of protein goals given that many of your options are decent protein sources, but also high carb.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    meganvd wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone! I've just been struggling to drop weight for months. The exercise part of it is right on track but it seems no matter how healthy I eat I'm just seeing no progress, which is why I'm worried about going over my carbs consistently. I've yet to have an issue going over my fat requirements.

To answer a few of you, yes I do eat dairy and eggs - just no meat.. I will have to keep trying things out.

The answer to not progressing doesn't lie in cutting carbs, though. Can you open your diary? It's likely that some clues might be found if we can have a peek in there.

• darkbluex3
    darkbluex3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I have my macros set to 50C 30F and 20P and I'm struggling so hard to hit it. I normally hit 15% protein. I try to incorporate greek yogurt, quest bars (although they're pricey, so I only buy them once every month or so), and grains that are rich in protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I eat lots of lentils and chickpeas. Occasionally I have two eggs or yogurt (not on the same day). Almonds are good because they provide more protein and less carbs compared to other nuts. I can fit in my protein goals by having zero grains: no bread or rice or quinoa.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm having a Saitan Bar right this moment. only 2g of carbs and 15g of protein. It is 40g and has 109 cal per serving. They are individually packed and have a delicious smoky flavour and a bit of crunch due to hemp seeds. A nice protein rich snack! It is made by Wheaty and called "Spacebar".
  • rckk18
    rckk18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good news -- Latest Medical studies suggest that carbs are not that bad for you. It's the Saturated fat that is a killer and should avoided as much as possible.