Not eating enough?

Options
MFP wants me to eat 1,490 calories a day but I always seem to average around 1,100. I keep reading ppl on here saying if you don't eat enough your body will go into survival mode. Is that really true. I listen to my body and eat until I'm full. If I'm not hungry I don't want to force myself to eat. I do my best to choose healthy low calorie foods. Also should I try to limit my carbs or does it not matter as long as I'm within my calorie deficit?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, starvation mode does not exist. You should be eating up to your goal, or at least 1200 to ensure you're getting the nutrients you need. Add some calorie dense foods into your day (nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, oils, avocados) to help reach your goal.

As for the carbs, it doesn't matter as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Survival mode is not true. Your body doesn't stop losing fat when you eat low calories. If you are really eating 1100 calories and not feeling rather hungry, one very likely possibility is that that you could improve your tracking. Are you weighing your foods on a scale, using spoons and cups (these are made for liquid only) or worse, estimating portion sizes? This can make a huge difference. Do you take cheat meals/days (those calories count)? Do you eat out often or have food you didn't prepare?
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fine as long as you don't have a medical condition. And a female shouldn't go below 1200 calories. I think it really depends on your activity level whether you should eat more.
  • Misterfish96
    Misterfish96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Think long term nutrition. It's easy to want instant satisfaction and looking forward to reaching your goal is great motivation but its ok to take it slow.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There are many medical professionals who believe it exists. Obviously, they haven't been reading the MFP forums.

Simply put, if you don't eat enough, your body doesn't have enough energy to do everything it needs to do, so it starts moving slower and you end up using fewer calories. If you find that you are more tired than normal and just don't feel like doing stuff, yeah, you could be in starvation mode.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    chanell84 wrote: »
    MFP wants me to eat 1,490 calories a day but I always seem to average around 1,100. I keep reading ppl on here saying if you don't eat enough your body will go into survival mode. Is that really true. I listen to my body and eat until I'm full. If I'm not hungry I don't want to force myself to eat. I do my best to choose healthy low calorie foods. Also should I try to limit my carbs or does it not matter as long as I'm within my calorie deficit?
    Mix in a few high calorie foods for the day so that you get closer to your 1,490 -- foods with fat for example work. Nuts are good because they are calorie dense.
    Or eat more of your low calorie foods.

• chanell84
    chanell84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Vismal I weigh and measure everything I eat and rarely ever eat out. Preparing my own foods allows me to ensure they are really gluten free (I have celiac disease) and how many calories they have. I have only been doing this for 31 days but so far I have not cheated. I feel great! I have more energy than ever and even exercise at least 4 times a week. I really want to make this work and have it be a life style change. I am constantly watching my macros and worrying about whether I'm eating the wrong foods. I actually cut milk out of my diet but i could do nuts.
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    I don't think it exists, but it's advisable to get at least 1200 calories in.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are many medical professionals who believe it exists. Obviously, they haven't been reading the MFP forums.

Simply put, if you don't eat enough, your body doesn't have enough energy to do everything it needs to do, so it starts moving slower and you end up using fewer calories. If you find that you are more tired than normal and just don't feel like doing stuff, yeah, you could be in starvation mode.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Starvation mode as described on MFP where the body magically holds fat and stops losing weight due to reduced intake differs greatly from metabolic adaptation. I've lost count of how many times members have to tell newbies to ignore you due to fallacies in your diatribes.
  • vbenoit81
    Options
    I not sure what I think about starvation mode. I lost 10 pounds eating exactly 3 oz of chicken, 1 boiled egg, veggies, and half a can of tuna twice a day, plus a protein shake. Which usually adds up a little over a 1000 calories, depending on what veggies I eat or what I put in my protein shake. If you look at my plates they look huge and I am never hungry. I rarely snack.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    vbenoit81 wrote: »
    I not sure what I think about starvation mode. I lost 10 pounds eating exactly 3 oz of chicken, 1 boiled egg, veggies, and half a can of tuna twice a day, plus a protein shake. Which usually adds up a little over a 1000 calories, depending on what veggies I eat or what I put in my protein shake. If you look at my plates they look huge and I am never hungry. I rarely snack.

So what you're saying is you get almost protein and virtually no dietary fat and you think that's okay and healthy?

+1
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Whilst there is an element of truth in that it doesn't mean that you are going to stop losing weight, just that it slows down slightly .. if it was true then you wouldn't get emaciated figures of starvation victims would you?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    vbenoit81 wrote: »

Hell that must have been fun :huh:
  • jaysiekemso
    jaysiekemso Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do believe that starvation mode exists. I was in a caloric deficit for so long.. The first 2 - 3 months I was losing weight very fast. I went from 28% body fat to 20% body fat. After that I was still eating 500 calories under my maintenance for about 2 months and nothing changed. I was working out a lot too, A LOT! I never ate back the exercise calories either. For the last 7 days I started to eat a little bit more to try boost up my metabolism. I'm eating 250 calories under my maintenance now and I've been doing less cardio too. You would think I would put on more weight by eating more and exercising less than I used to... Nope! The number on the scale has gone down a bit actually. So I guess it's working.

You might be in a starvation mode. Just try to eat 1490 calories. If you always feel full and feel like you can't eat anymore try to find foods that are high in calories, that way you can eat the same amount of food but take in more calories. Try fattening food, it's high in calories... But of course make sure it fits your macros :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I do believe that starvation mode exists. I was in a caloric deficit for so long.. The first 2 - 3 months I was losing weight very fast. I went from 28% body fat to 20% body fat. After that I was still eating 500 calories under my maintenance for about 2 months and nothing changed. I was working out a lot too, A LOT! I never ate back the exercise calories either. For the last 7 days I started to eat a little bit more to try boost up my metabolism. I'm eating 250 calories under my maintenance now and I've been doing less cardio too. You would think I would put on more weight by eating more and exercising less than I used to... Nope! The number on the scale has gone down a bit actually. So I guess it's working.

You might be in a starvation mode. Just try to eat 1490 calories. If you always feel full and feel like you can't eat anymore try to find foods that are high in calories, that way you can eat the same amount of food but take in more calories. Try fattening food, it's high in calories... But of course make sure it fits your macros :)

I'll take the results of scientific testing over beliefs any day.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    chanell84 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Vismal I weigh and measure everything I eat and rarely ever eat out. Preparing my own foods allows me to ensure they are really gluten free (I have celiac disease) and how many calories they have. I have only been doing this for 31 days but so far I have not cheated. I feel great! I have more energy than ever and even exercise at least 4 times a week. I really want to make this work and have it be a life style change. I am constantly watching my macros and worrying about whether I'm eating the wrong foods. I actually cut milk out of my diet but i could do nuts.

If you are exercising 4 times a week and only eating 1100 calories a day (aka gross intake calories), you really should be eating more. If you feel as great as you say, I too would question your logging. Your body needs fuel. Food is not the enemy. Most health care professionals strongly advise women not to net under 1200 calories a day. That is because your body needs fuel and certain nutrients to keep working properly. Eat more nutrient dense foods. Avocados are high in calories and don't fill you up, etc. I would strongly suggest you talk with a dietitian.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The only question I would ask is if you are getting enough nutrients at that caloric intake. Yes? Awesome.