No fear of commitment here! Will lose 125+ lbs to live life more fully at 40!

Options

Replies

• goofydee30
    goofydee30 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Probably the nutritional victory that has had the most impact on my life is not frying foods anymore. I love fried foods, all fried foods!

Omg so do I miss fried foods.... lots of my Spanish/Mecican dishes& I tried to stay as far away from carbs & sugars as possible. The best thing for me is my entire family is on board, the hubby & our 3 kids were losing weight & eating healthier as a Family! Lots of encouraging people on here thanks OP for starting this thread/group look forward to sharing my success with All of you & reading about everyone else's as well!!!!
  • eml298
    eml298 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Wow! This group has taken off!! There're over 30 posts already in the GROUP by the same name. I'm trying to catch up on reading posts, but I already see that it's pretty unlikely I will be able to maintain the same level of personal commentary with this many people - especially if we continue to grow. That's why it's FANTASTIC that so many of you are doing the same! There's some awesome knowledge in here, plenty of folks who are well-established (or even almost completed), as well as those of us who are just starting (and of course many of us aren't at our first rodeo in this arena - though hopefully it's the last because it'll be a PERMANENT lifestyle change!). With all this variety, we have a fantastic foundation from which to truly help each other!

So - I've noticed new folks coming in and saying "add me" - either here or in the group. So glad to have you!!! Welcome!! I want to clarify that you (as a new person) can add yourself in multiple ways:

1) Bookmark this group! There's a star up to the right of the title of the thread. If you click it, it'll turn yellow and you've bookmarked the group! Then, anytime you visit the community area of the forum, you can click your star to see activity in your bookmarked threads. Easy-peasy! :)

2) Friend me (or anyone else - or EVERYONE else) in this thread!! Most of you have beat me to the punch with the friend invites (thank you!!), though I've sent out a few. I'll say yes to anyone making an effort to check in and be part of this community! :) The more friends, the merrier!

3) Join our new GROUP (in the groups section) with the same name as this thread (or, at least the first part):

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103780-no-fear-of-commitment-here-daily-motivation-toward-living-life-more-fully]click here to see or join the group!

I think I can cover personal feedback for today:

@lgb1 - That's easy. He's here. He's a great supporter, and I love that about him! He has wise things to say, and has seen me through a lot of changes with weight, activity, and mobility over the years.

@Colleens6677‌ - I'm with you! If the group gets too big, it won't feel as comfortable. I've asked the question to the group below, but those of us who are already here should come up with a # cap. And, glad to keep seeing you here! :) Oh - veggie burger convert, eh? I've been vegetarian (well, pescetarian) for most of my adult life minus a few short periods. Now, we're eating some meat - mostly poultry. It's HARD to be veggie when busy! However, combined with this other stuff, a veggie burger is awesome! Thanks for lovely feedback and encouragement to others! :)

@Novileigh - YAY @ seeing you back! You've echoed the point I wrote about above, so glad to see at least three of us are on the same page about the group size! And, good for you with having honesty as a goal! It's hard, but necessary. We need it. @lgb1‌ is in a much different position than I am - he could stand to lose 20 lbs (at most, in my opinion), but wants to tone up. He sometimes has fallen into the role you mentioned above ("rewarding" me with food as he is food-motivated - but with a faster metabolism and higher activity level). We've had to have a lot of difficult talks about this. It's hard, but he's receptive. If we ever need to talk about how to have these talks as a group, let's do it! :)

@mrscapri77 - Glad to see you again! :) Slow and steady wins the race, and you're a FAB example - thanks for the reminder! You've already made at least one friend! ;)

@mrkerryh‌ - Welcome! There's a lot of great motivation, inspiration, and encouragement to be had here! Join in! Keep combing back, and see above (numbered items)!

@RillaVanilla‌ - We have a lot in common this week with goals, TOM issues, etc. So glad you're here/back/figured out the bookmarking thing! :) Thanks for lovely feedback and encouragement to others! :) And we share our nutritional victory! I've also focused on staying under my goal each day this week successfully - YAY for us!

@tricia7673 - Welcome! So glad you're here! See the numbered items above for how to join in! :)

@luvforever - Yay @ seeing you again!! YAY again at being reminded of your awesome progress!! I agree with you and @lgb1 that the beginning is the hardest. It makes sense if we think about the psychology of motivation and how habits take about three weeks to form. Reinforcement for the win! :) We can all get through a few hard weeks to get into the rhythm!! Look @ this successful lady here!

@callsitlikeiseeit‌ - We'll be glad to have you whenever you show up! I'm not big on FB (don't use my real name there due to worries about patients finding me), but I am an active member of some groups there related to hobbies. If that's an interest of others, I'd be happy to start a group - not INSTEAD of MFP, but if we wanted to be multi-platform! :)

@scudderva - Now that C25K thing just SOUNDS painful!! My husband - @lgb1 - occasionally runs. Perhaps he might be a resource/partner in crime? Oh, and there IS an art to cooking veggies! I LOLed at your comment about this! My Mom put bacon and ham in everything (I grew up in the south). As someone who doesn't love meat, blech was how I responded - but was forced to clean my plate anyway! ;)

@gingee_13 - Welcome!! And, your goal (and your sample menu from tonight) sounds awesome! Feel free to share recipes! Maybe we could have a recipe thread in our group area?

@benean - Welcome! Congrats on making the choice to get healthier! And, WOO-HOO at the loss you've already had!! Had to convert the kg to lbs to really get a grasp, but what great progress!!! Keep coming back, and join us (see ways above)!!

@goingforahundred‌ - Welcome!! Ohhh....fried foods...I'm with you! :) I'll join you in focusing on avoiding those except for very occasional treats!

@goofydee30‌ - Hey - if you're cooking Spanish/Mexican a lot at your place, I'm coming over for dinner!! Mexican is my FAVORITE!!! :) Welcome back - so good to see you! And, I'm so glad that you and your family are in this together. That's a HUGE boon for you! I'm also fortunate that @lgb1‌ is in this with me! :) YAY for loving and supportive family!

TONIGHT'S QUESTION/s FOR ALL:
    1) I'll probably make the group private soon - there're already 32 members. What do folks think? How many members would we love to have?

2) I made a sticky thread for check-ins, per @luvforever 's suggestion. Will create one for intros tonight. Thanks - good suggestions! Any other requests?

• luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I think you could make it private now and we will probably get more members over time with word of mouth. But I am good either way.
  • eml298
    edited February 2015
    Options
    luvforever wrote: »
    I think you could make it private now and we will probably get more members over time with word of mouth. But I am good either way.

I agree. I *think* I just made it private (I've not moderated a group here before). We went from 32 to 34 members in the past 15 minutes.

IF anyone makes a compelling argument to keep it public longer, I'm all ears. Having just posted something pretty personal over there in the Intro thread, I'm happy to keep it with the lovely folks already there.

**If someone who's already active in THIS thread hasn't joined already, you will obviously be welcome in the group!**
  • eml298
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sorry for the double post, but I have a f/u question. I "announced" the two threads I meant to "sticky," as that was the only option I saw. You guys can respond to those, right? If not, I did it wrong. ;)

ETA: Ok, I see now that folks have responded...it just doesn't update in the list the same way as the "discussion" threads. I'm used to a different kind of "sticky" that was not an option.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    We have similar stories and goals and our birthdays... I am going to be 40 July 22!

I am trying to regain focus and need to lose about 80lb. Then maybe another 20 after that but I am more focused on that

Please feel free to friend me.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have bookmarked the group and threads in the group, but it doesn't seem to show up in my notifications... anyone know how to get notifications on new replies to group threads?
  • eml298
    Options
    @IrishChik‌ - Join our group! Info in post slightly up thread! Welcome!! We're glad you're here! :)

@RillaVanilla‌ - I don't know, but I'll see if I can figure it out! ❤️
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Starting the group seems to have essentially killed this thread! How's everyone doing? I'm workin' the plan today!
  • Amerdee2
    Amerdee2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok I think I found the right group to give me the motivation I need! You guys so very supportive and with similar goals to keep me accountable. I am a social worker and a widow who is also approaching 40 in July. I lost 65 pounds last year, but then got back in a rut and gained 25 of it back. I have decided my working goal for now is "40 by 40".. Meaning 40 pounds by my 40th which requires 2 pounds per week. I know the only way I can lose weight is by consistently working out. When I slack, which I do.. I tend to look for excuses because I just simply do not like to do it lol, I do not get any results. So if any of you can nudge me to quit making excuses and go do it, that would be great!!!
  • eml298
    Options
    @Amerdee2 - Welcome! Here's some helpful info (I think) from a bit up the page:

So glad to have you!!! I want to clarify that you (as a new person) can add yourself in multiple ways:

1) Bookmark this group! There's a star up to the right of the title of the thread. If you click it, it'll turn yellow and you've bookmarked the group! Then, anytime you visit the community area of the forum, you can click your star to see activity in your bookmarked threads. Easy-peasy! :)

2) Friend me (or anyone else - or EVERYONE else) in this thread!! Most of you have beat me to the punch with the friend invites (thank you!!), though I've sent out a few. I'll say yes to anyone making an effort to check in and be part of this community! :) The more friends, the merrier!

3) Join our new GROUP (in the groups section) with the same name as this thread (or, at least the first part):

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103780-no-fear-of-commitment-here-daily-motivation-toward-living-life-more-fully]click here to see or join the group!

I agree with @RillaVanilla‌ that since we started the group, all the action seems to be happening over there. Feel free to join! :) Your goal sounds awesome! :)
  • Colleens6677
    Colleens6677 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's definitely harder to keep up here and other groups. I still try to check this thread but it is easier to check the group and since there are usually a few posts I think this one gets lost in the shuffle. I think you should cap the number of people in the group to 50 max. Too big and it becomes cumbersome and I think you lose the personal connections.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yay! I've been down with the flu for the last week but just saw that you started the group. I just sent a request.
  • Boe4Life
    Boe4Life Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    eml298, have you tried setting micro goals to go with your lofty ones? I want to lose 60-70 lbs but it seems impossible, so pound a week, 2 pounds a week, pass on the chips, put the salad dressing on the side and dip my fork into it and eat salad that way, skip the soda this meal, 2 quarts of water a day for a week, and the like. Goals like that keep me going and sane. Just a thought.
  • eml298
    Options
    @Boe4Life‌ - Good question, and good suggestion! Someone up thread had suggested this, and I meant to sit down and consciously identify a string of goals. I know I'm focused for the first two weeks on *staying below my calorie goal.* I had to get my stomach used to much less quantity. Today's day 11, and I've been under so far. Fairly good (not perfect) choices most days except last night. I've made an effort to add in more activity instead of *literally* lying on the couch or bed at all times. So, I've been more active in the house for the most part given our repeated snow and ice in the past week and a half. My next mini-goal is to start adding in some focused exercise. And, in terms of a medium goal, I want to be back under 300! Good grief! ;) Sounds like you're on the right track, too! Thanks for being such a positive influence!

@portlandsundevil‌ - Hope you feel better soon! I'll go approve your request! :)

@Colleens6677‌ - I agree it's harder to keep up with both. That said, I think I'm realizing it's *easier* for me when it's all in one thread. (Water under the bridge, though, because we've all moved to the group! :lol: And, I very much agree we should keep the group @ 50. Quite a few people joined (when it was still public) that had NEVER posted in this thread. I don't love that for the ones who still haven't posted in the group either, as we really have got some folks who are so good about popping in and giving (and receiving) support! Hopefully those lurkers will come out of their shells soon and tell us all about themselves! :)
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So … have you hit 50 yet? I thought it was great that you shared about turning down an awesome dessert! I definitely consider that a NSV. I know some people journal the foods they turned down in addition to standard journaling.

My mini-NSV today was getting out my polar HRM from last summer and updating the data from 235 lbs to 213 lbs.

(I usually don't bring my heart rate monitor to the gym, which is why I haven't been using it)

Hope I'm not too late!
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Looking for support. Will join forum post updates, and group.

Love the thread. I have been active in a couple of groups. Two in early fall. And presently : 50lbs in 2015. I like the closed groups. Seem much more positive...and get to know friends.

Thank you....for all your comments, posts, and encouragement.

I am on-line regularly evenings during the week as I am at work (Librarian). But less often on weekend.

I started my journey at 236ish. Lost to about 210 back up about 5. In Oct, I got serious. Did Paleo/Whole 30. Went through the holidays without weight gain. Then had several home crisises in Jan....found myself emotional eating. Thankfully, only put on 6 pounds, which I took off in 1 week. So, probably more water weight than anything.

At 198 today. My goal is 160lbs. BUT may find motivation to try for 140. Haven't seen that weight since about 8th grade.

I am 5'7, and 46 yo.

I have been logging diary and blogging for self. Though they are both open to my friends.

2014 I actually worked on c25k. A biggy for me, as I have never run even when a kid. It was hard work. Participated in two 5Ks. Walk/run time was 39 mins for the first one. I was actually in the upper 20% for age category. Second was a color run and not timed. I was up to the full 3.2mi on the treadmill. BUT outside, still struggled. Some of that is due to allergies and asthma. Alas, this past summer I let that all go by wayside. I was walking/running outside to try to get longer consecutive distance/time, but then in fall when I started Paleo , I revolted against the exercise. C25K was hard. It was not easy. I never got the runners high. I never felt the addiction to exercise. I had to make myself go each time. BUT I felt such a sense of accomplishment.

In January, I started back at gym with hubby. Finally, two weeks ago...I said to self, that scales were creeping up again...and I need to get eating and exercise back in sync, so here I am. Back down to my pre new year low. AND ready for next goal.

Just challenge myself (blog) to 10 pounds by May21.

Donna
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    Options
    Donna,

Breaking the 200 lb milestone! Great!

Also impressive that you did c25k. I started on that but hurt my feet. I'm more a lift weights and stairstepper type.

And at the gym, I'm all business. While I would love it if my DH came with, I'm not at a point where I want to wall laps and chit chat.

Hear ya on the stress eating (teenagers!)

Congrats and good luck!
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Not teenagers...in our home (3kids and homeschooled K to 12) there were no terrible 2's, no pre hormonal tweens, not even teenager angst. NOW our youngest is a college senior (psychology major, no less)...and BAM it all hits the fan.

I was faithfull at gym for over a year doing stepper and weights. I started because I had a fully laterally torn achilles tendon (so bad Drs were sure it would take multiple surgeries to fix it.) For almost 5 years, I lived on motrin and foot brace at night and when at rest. I was still walking with hubby 6 miles a shot, despite consant pain, most of it after. During exercise, once moving it was dull ache. Dr said power walking wasn't helping, but I was already struggling with my weight creeping up even more. The pain finally drove me to non impact exercise, so I headed inside to gym. I really love the controlled climate, tv to keep exercising on much longer than my motivation, and weights.

One day at gym, my training told me I needed to change up work out. I was doing over an hour on stepper at full incline at mid to high tension. I had excuses...and best was the ankle.

He said, "It's gonna hurt whether you do or don't" and so, I started c25K. Thought I would struggle with week one. I actually made it to week 3 before I had to really work at it. AND , praise the Lord, within in those three weeks the pain in my ankle, heel, and tendons went away completely just about overnight.

Dr. still doesn't know what caused it to go away...because tear is still there. Just thought all the muscles around have finally compensated.

I have to admit...I exercise solo. Don't talk. I put on head phones with praise music or tv. But mainly I went to gym last 3 years by self. So, while I am not 'addicted to the exercise'. I relish the quiet time! Besides, I sweat like a pig! Huff and puff still, so talking not a pretty option. AND I know if I talked while on weights, I would slow down and pause too often. LOL. He started with me in Jan because he wanted me to join at the Univ where he is getting a second degree (he is retired from AForce). The fee was cheaper than Planet Fitness. So, I told him only if he went with me. Otherwise I was happy with PF.

BTW. I love the ticker tape on the profile page. I find it so encouraging to actually see that I am 30% closer to my goal than I was 4 months ago.
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    Options
    dclem2012 wrote: »
    He said, "It's gonna hurt whether you do or don't" and so, I started c25K. Thought I would struggle with week one. I actually made it to week 3 before I had to really work at it. AND , praise the Lord, within in those three weeks the pain in my ankle, heel, and tendons went away completely just about overnight.

Dr. still doesn't know what caused it to go away...because tear is still there. Just thought all the muscles around have finally compensated.

ago.

That is amazing. Pain-free is a blessing. After having some heel issues for 3 months, I cannot imagine 5 years. You are right! PTL on your healing!