Psychology tricks for getting in shape

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1) change what's visible: I had three boxes of chocolate from Christmas all on my kitchen island. I'm still not done eating them. I used to eat 3 boxes in a day. Just eating in moderation makes having to hide things 100% unnecessary for me.

2) Change What's Reachable: Yeah... nope. I'd eat food up in my room, or in the living room, away from the kitchen. Iw ould still get up to get more food. Smaller dishes only helped because I also didn't allow myself to go back for 2nds.

3) Plan ahead: I don't generally plan ahead most of the time now. I grab food I want to eat, and then log a reasonable amount. Weighing and logging food regularly has helped me learn what a reasonable amount for my caloric needs (at the moment) should be. I also buy a lot of "bad" food and I'm still losing weight.

4) eat slower: Even when I eat slow now it still takes me a while to be full. Macros are far more important for this than is how fast I eat.

5) Reduce your food options: Why would I do that? If I want one of everyting, I will eat one of everything - I will just grab reasonable portions to ensure my overall caloric intake is reasonable.

6) Be mindful of those you eat with: I got fat eating alone. Lose weight eating alone. So uh :/
  • KitCatMcG
    KitCatMcG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions. If it helps someone even a little bit, worth sharing. Thank you.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Not much of a trick against yourself if you're in on it. Might work for tricking others in a household, so long as they don't get wise.
  • blondeeedoll
    blondeeedoll Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some ideas might work for some, not for others! 'Individual results may vary!'
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for adding this! Perhaps I'm more susceptible because I do the same kind of tricks turning my watch and clocks 5-10 minutes fast and I keep managing to trick myself.

A lot of these work for me: smaller plates, using teaspoons instead of normal ones for cereal, hiding the sweeties and biscuits on the top shelf where I end up forgetting them, immediately putting dinner leftovers in a tupperware box in the fridge to stop me going back for seconds, trying to eat more slowly and- biggest weakness here- trying to avoid reading/ watching anything while eating. That last one has definitely been a real challenge and made me feel quite uncomfortable the first few times.
  • One knows that they bought fancy dishes, when the cups come with saucers but since I am not fancy, I use the saucers; as snack plates.