Cheat Days

Options
I am really struggling with my cheat days!! I feel so guilty eating bad (unhealthy) foods! I'm so worried I'll fall back into old habits!! Does anyone else have this problem and any advice to share!!

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    it sounds like to resolve your problem you should just stop having cheat days.. maybe just have a cheat meal. or don't plan your cheat day and they will sometimes happen and within the next few days you adjust your calories accordingly.
  • pittsburgh412
    pittsburgh412 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty ! Cheat days are good :smile: I usually use mine Saturday and Sunday. But still track all of your foods on here and try not to exceed 1700 calories
  • aprilmariemedley
    aprilmariemedley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's a great idea;I will try that!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I didn't "cheat" when I first started. I wanted to work hard, stick to my deficit, and lose the weight. Now I eat at maintenance or slightly above once in awhile, but it's not cheating-not to me. At that point I already know it's going to stall my weight loss, and I'm either okay with it so I do it-or I'm not okay with it, so I don't.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Work the foods you love into your calories, that way you don't feel tempted to "cheat". There are no healthy or unhealthy foods when it comes to weight loss. Some are just more nutrient rich than others.
  • aprilmariemedley
    Options
    Thank you ladies!! :D
  • MickeyCastello
    MickeyCastello Posts: 269
    edited February 2015
    Options
    While I was losing, my cheat day was Friday after weigh-in, and only if I lost weight. Now in maintenance, I only get a cheat day if I don't gain. While you're losing, don't go over what your maintenance would be for that day though, or you go negative on your weight loss. Good luck!
  • aprilmariemedley
    Options
    Thank you both!! I think I'm gonna try to have a cheat meal once a week and include food I like into my allotted calorie intake!! Thanks to everyone for their advice!!
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting cheat days to a cheat meal or snack or cut it out all together. But you don't necessarily have to miss on certain foods completely, if there's something you're craving you could try buying a smaller portion or saving half of what you get for another day. I personally try to cut things in half and with small things like candy bars it's easier for me but entire meals from restaurants I find this harder to do. Some people this works well for, always worth a shot.
  • katekc22
    katekc22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way! so ive started having a cheat meal once a week and maybe a cheat snack once or twice a week instead of cheat days, so far seems to be helping!
  • arditarose
    Options
    katekc22 wrote: »
    i feel the same way! so ive started having a cheat meal once a week and maybe a cheat snack once or twice a week instead of cheat days, so far seems to be helping!

What is a cheat snack? A snack that puts you over your deficit?
  • OhReally42
    Options
    If you're trying to avoid something like cookies or chocolate, that could be considered a cheat snack. Or yeah, something thats higher in calories I suppose
  • Blisschick1
    Options
    I tried to ignore cheat days, but it just doesn't work that way. I'd end up trying to justify my indulgence, and it just allowed me to cheat a little more next time. In the long run, you'll just end up telling yourself it's okay, when you know it's not, and fall back into bad habits. I did, and now I'm trying to lose 20 lbs. I already had lost. No more cheat days for me. :(
  • arditarose
    Options
    OhReally42 wrote: »
    If you're trying to avoid something like cookies or chocolate, that could be considered a cheat snack. Or yeah, something thats higher in calories I suppose

Avoid for what reason? Not hitting macros first? I'm confused. I'm eating a whole chocolate peanut butter bar right now and the only reason I feel a little bad is because my protein was under today.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I cheated the other day. Went out for lunch with co-workers. They wanted...Taco Hell. I just ate light and healthy at dinner. Still came in at my goal calories, and had some junk food to feed the craving. Sometimes you gotta do it to keep from binging.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I try to stay on track as much as possible & save any cheating for days when I have less control over my meals, like when friends want to go out for happy hour or my grad program is having a potluck or something. That generally happens once every week or two, and that way I don't have to be that person always eating lettuce & water at things like that, haha. It also works out well because I, and maybe I'm the only one, naturally moderate my intake at get togethers anyways because I don't want people to judge me for a plate piled high with crap or for going back for seconds & thirds!
  • OhReally42
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Avoid for what reason? Not hitting macros first? I'm confused. I'm eating a whole chocolate peanut butter bar right now and the only reason I feel a little bad is because my protein was under today.

This isn't me personally, and not just those things, but some people have to avoid some foods other wise they over eat. Maybe a better example in my instance would be like fast food or soda, I used to eat and drink those things so much that if I were to keep those in my diet on a regular basis,even just one cheat day a week, I'd start to buy them more than once a week and ruin everything for myself. I'm much better off with out it anyways because I physically feel better for many reasons, and chocolate and cookies were just an example, but some things can't even be done in moderation for some people and some people are strong enough to keep cheat days/meals/snacks to one instance. Not everyone is the same.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Why? I had a cupcake tonight that not only fit into my calories but helped me hit my protein for the day.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I mean, I understand the concept of a cheat day or maybe cheat meal. But for some reason I don't get the cheat snack. I don't know what that means ha.
  • OhReally42
    Options
    For about 2 years now I've cut ff and soda out altogether and at first it did help lose weight, after a while of course not as much, but I still feel better without. If it ever comes to a point where we eat ff then I try to keep with in at least my calories as much as possible, or at least a more macro conscious meal later.