I should be excited...

Options
that I've lost almost 50 pounds so far! (11 since joining mfp). I know 47 lbs is a lot and I should be thinking hell yeah I'm getting closer to my goal, but that's not how it is. I keep thinking how much better "I lost 100lbs" sounds! I know i will be there someday soon, I'm just slowly losing my motivation for some reason.
I love that I can wear clothes I havent worn in 3+ years! I love it when I see myself and realize I look much better than I did before I started.

I should be excited....but I'm not!

Replies

• bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    you should be so proud of yourself!!! 50 lbs is amazing! youve done a great job and your hard work will continue to pay off! nice job!!!
  • MizzLisaj
    MizzLisaj Posts: 8
    Options
    Be excited. Be Elated. You are a Queen that decided that she would change her lifestyle and had done so and done well. It will only get better if you focus on the task at hand. I have been going through the same thing and I haven't even lost nearly as much as you so, lets keep it up! We deserve it!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Remember - EVERY SINGLE person who lost 100+ pounds, at one time, was exactly where you're at - 47 pounds lost. You can't jump from step 1 to step 100 without taking all the other steps in between. Celebrate your success and realize that you are without a doubt on the road to the you that you want to be!
  • foxyroxy1978
    Options
    I know the feeling I have been at this since Jan and have lost 25lbs...with almost 100lbs left to go...I try to see how far i;ve come not with just my weight loss but with all the big and small changes I have made.. But it is so daunting to think of how far I have to go.. even though I know this lifestyle change is never going to change!! Hang in there and take one day at a time!! sometimes you just need to complain!!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Well, absolutely you should be excited. Congratulations on your accomplishments so far. You are truly amazing! The process can be long and daunting, but the end result is the goal and so worth it. I know exactly how you feel, and it wasn't until after I lost 52 pounds that I started to realize the true magnitude of what I had done. For me, part of it was because my partner isn't as strict as I am and wasn't seeing the results that I was seeing as quickly as I have, so I was feeling a bit guilty. I'll tell you what started me feeling better. My partner made a collage of pictures of me, starting back in 2009 and up to where I was after 5 months on MFP and what a difference! People started noticing the changes and made comments which also started to make me feel better. I started to step out of my comfort zone and set goals I never thought I would ever be able to do. (I did my first 10K this last weekend and I'm looking at doing another one next month). Then people here on MFP started looking to me as an inspiration. I started to "feed" off of all of these things, which helped increase my motivation. Knowing that maybe I can help someone else on their journey is a great feeling. Don't get me wrong, I have bad days too, but overall, I've got my eye on the prize and I KNOW I will persevere.

So, I say to you, give yourself a pat on the back, recognize what you've done, be proud of your accomplishments, then move forward and set new goals. Good luck!
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain on this one. It's hard to celebrate the success when you only look at the bigger picture. Try making smaller goals and celebrate those along the way. I am still only mildly happy with my results. But this month I set up mini-goals to finish. For example: doing a month of 30 day shred, having "meatless monday" every week, walking 5-7 days a week and introducting a new vegetable or fruit each week. There is so much more to this journey then the number on the scale, but that can be hard to remember. Keep it up! You got this!!

Charity
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The words "should" and "feeling" should never go together. Your feelings are your feelings. There is no should with feelings. It's your actions (i.e., what you do about your feelings) that are important.

If I were you, I wouldn't put any energy into trying to feel excited or proud if you don't feel that way but explore why you feel the way you do. Are you not getting what you want out of this? Are you in "dieting fatigue" where the process is wearing you down and maybe you need a break or a change? Are you afraid of success? Or maybe it's just that TOM or you are coming down with something and next week it will all be fine.

Figure out what is going on with you and make changes base on it and you will be successful (whatever success means to you) and not one of those people who loses some, then gives up and gains it all back. (And while you do that, I'll do the same thing with my exercise plan including figuring out why it's 3pm and I still haven't done my planned workout.)
  • scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with wanting more if you have more to lose. When I hit my mini-goals, I reward myself. Not a food reward, I buy myself a new pair of shoes, piece of clothing or jewelry. Also, what I find rewarding is when I can motivate another person to get healthy with me. I have a couple of friends that have jumped on board and I keep sending them encouraging stuff and I set up little rewards for them. They love it! If you can't motivate yourself, motivate others! Trust me, the chain reaction will jump start your excitement. Plus you won't be along in your weight loss journey.

Great job!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far!

It sounds like you are right now at that very dangerous stage where it's really easy to go back to your old lifestyle and put all of those 47 pounds back on, plus a few more, most likely. Do not give in! I've always figured that lack of motivation and self-sabotage is our bodies' way of telling us "I am afraid of losing all of this weight. Feed me so I have a big reserve again." You have to fight it! It's really just mind over your built-in survival instinct.

For some, there's also the psychological fear of change. 47 pounds is a lot of weight when you think about it. You've lost three bowling balls! I'm also betting it took you a lot longer to put those 47 pounds on than it took you to lose them. The next 50 pounds or so will take at least as much effort as you've put in so far. I'm hoping you decide to stick to it and make it happen.
  • 87beckyRN
    87beckyRN Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'm more of a big picture kind of person. I'm not giving up, I want to be able to say "I lost over 100 lbs and look at me now!" Its not just the number of course. I think today is just a "down" day. Tomorrow is a new day :)!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great job for losing 50 pounds so far -- you are halfway to your goal!

I think there's something psychological about being halfway to a goal. I am not quite to my half way point (25/50 pounds). I start to think about how hard it was to take the first half off, and I have heard how much harder it will be to take the next 25 off. I keep practicing "I lost 50 pounds!" to see how that sounds, then realize that I should be celebrating the fact that I HAVE lost 25.

Keep up the good work, and tomorrow's another day!

(and go Bears!)
  • mynameisnotlisa
    mynameisnotlisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    keep it up, sista, and we will be there soon enough. we can take our old fat pants, cut them open on one side, then sew two pairs together and make a freaking blanket! i look forward to the day. :)
  • 87beckyRN
    87beckyRN Posts: 34
    Options
    keep it up, sista, and we will be there soon enough. we can take our old fat pants, cut them open on one side, then sew two pairs together and make a freaking blanket! i look forward to the day. :)

Definately!!!!!!!