Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Options
hi everyone! I'm about 3 weeks in to the 30 day shred. I also eat very clean, gave up all alcohol. And the scale is telling me that I'm not losing weight, but gaining. And my clothes are tighter. Why is this happening. I'm sticking with it but it's so discouraging at this point. Anyone else have this issue??

Replies

• Katniss326
    Katniss326 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It may be because you are building muscle. You probably are losing fat but that "fat weight" is most likely being replaced by "muscle weight". I've heard this happens during the early stages of any work out routine. Stick with it. I'm sure you will see weight loss results soon enough.
  • kcdizzle
    Options
    Ok whew!! That makes me feel better! Thanks!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do you measure/weigh all of your food? If not, you are probably underestimating what you are eating. Do you log your exercise and eat back those calories? If so, perhaps the allotted calories are inflated. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, then you are not building muscle.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Honestly, "gaining muscle" is not something you can do in 3 weeks and it is not something that would affect your weight like that. Having done 30DS myself, I can tell you that it is not a muscle-building program, but it does burn calories well.

My guess is that you are either over-estimating your burns, underestimating your calorie intake, or maybe both. How many calories do you think you're burning per session?
  • Anton7201
    Anton7201 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing JM 30 day shred starting on week 3. I alternate work-out programs and thats seems to work for me. I'm no expert but I've learn that calorie take is very important. This app will help you track your progress. Lots of water, no sodas and cutting down on sweets. Oh I've also been drinking lots of Green tea. lost about 5 lbs so far. Try changing your routine, Good luck :smile:
    Options
    I'm only on Day 3 of lvl. 2, and I'd love support. Sometimes it's so hard to do the entire workout or just get up in the morning and do it!
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Do you measure/weigh all of your food? If not, you are probably underestimating what you are eating. Do you log your exercise and eat back those calories? If so, perhaps the allotted calories are inflated. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, then you are not building muscle.

This!
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I work out I use the 30 Day Shred. Last year I did it for a month and a half and the scale didnt change much, but my body did. I was also thinking about getting a zumba tape. You can add me if you like, I really need motivation to work out!
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am currently using 30 Day Shred, but only a couple of days a week to supplement my half marathon training. However, I did the full 30 days last summer and I really liked the program. I really didn't lose a ton of weight (maybe 8 lbs and I had around 70 to lose!) but I lost quite a few inches and my body changed a lot. And you can't beat the time investment!
  • AshZie
    AshZie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This happened to me!! I was in my 2nd week and I was excited to try on a pair of jeans that were too tight before. To my horror, I couldn't even get them up. I gave up for 3 days and binged on junk food. Then I came to my senses and realized regardless of the scale, I was getting stronger. I added 3 days a week of additional cardio and weights at the gym and after 30 days, I've lost 4.5 inches and 5.4lbs. It will pay off!
  • AshZie
    AshZie Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I have pictures but I don't know how to post them :(
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely not building muscle - not enough time, not heavy enough weight, and not enough food.

But, at three weeks in, your body is likely still adjusting to new things - new exercise, and new food intake I'm guessing? Be patient, if you are accurate with your logging and truly in a calorie deficit, you will lose.

And definitely go by tape measure and comparison pics - the scale is a dirty rotten liar sometimes and will mess with your head.
  • sweetjules81
    Options
    I did the 30 DS this time last year and lost weight and inches. I did it 4 of 7 days and ran 2 miles on those days after the workout for weeks 3-4. I went from a 10 to a 8. We cut carbs in our house and I tracked most of my food. I was very surprised. I have been lazy for awhile and gained back 8 pounds and am starting over. I am on day 1.