Workout program ideas

Options
So, I'm fine with doing cardio but when it comes to exercise or weights, I've never really gotten into it. I belong to the Y and I"ve asked some of the female trainers for some assistance but I realize their goal is to get me signed up for personal training. But...I'm a single Mom and it's just not in my budget. I really want to have a "plan". I hear people say do arms/chest one day and lower body another. That's great if I had a clue but sadly, I don't. I don't know how many different exercises I should do in one session, how many reps or when to change it up or how many times per week. I really am clueless. I see kettle balls, I see all this fun stuff but no clue how to create a workout plan. I'm so weak, I can barely lift the barbell without struggling so I need to get busy strength training ASAP :)

I'm wondering if any of you experienced people out there would help me put together some type of work out plan. I'm at the Y about 5x per week for cardio and I look around and watch, but I leave after my cardio because I don't know what to do.

At help would be greatly appreciated, feel free to add me or message me..
Thank you so much...

Replies

• PinkandBlack87
    Options
    Www.workoutlabs.com have printable exercise illustrations. I have printed them out by upper body, core, and butt and legs. I cut them up and glued them to index cards, punched a hole in the side and put them on a ring, that way they are easy to pack around. Personally I did that project for at home exercises, but will work at a gym as well

as a rule of thumb when weight lifting have the weight heavy enough that you can do reps of 10-15 and do like 3 sets. Up the weight when doing 3 sets of 15 reps gets easy.

there is all kinds of information on the web on how to create a exercise plan. As well with how to operate the weight machines. Start with a few exercises and stick with it for a month or so then change the exercise type. If you stick with one routine your body will get use to it and will have little results

one of my favorite exercise videos is this is tae bo. Its challenging but good for beginners. To up the anty I bought 1.5 pound hand gloves to wear while doing the kickboxing.

I hope this helps!
    if you have any questions email me
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    Also when weight lifting make sure its heavy enough for your muscles to feel fatigued
  • Fat2Fit68
    Fat2Fit68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Omg yes this is GREAT INFO. Thank you sooo much. I used to do Tae Bo several years ago, it was fun. Thanks again.
  • weighless14
    weighless14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi
    If you are interested in group ex style workout......
    When I started out I did the strength training exercise videos by Jari Love jarilove.com , very good for starting out
    They are very similar to body pump.

Also free videos on fitnessblender.com
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options

[...]

Also free videos on fitnessblender.com

LOVE Fitness blender! I haven't really delved too deeply into their weight training videos (perhaps I should though?) But I love their other videos. It's nice to have that estimated calorie burn range too, as it helps me realize where I'm at as far as effort goes.

Personally, I've done German Volume Training in the past and really enjoyed it, and noticed fairly quick results (I've seen many variations, and unfortunately have been unable to find the "original", but I'll keep looking!"

I just started Stronglifts 5x5 (along with a trusty app!) as it was suggested to me when I mentioned looking to do Tough Mudder this fall.

Also: I have this page bookmarked on my computer, and have printed it out once or twice as well. It has a few points where it's like "Oooh, try these pre-workout products" or "try this trainer's video" but other than that, it's full of some REALLY helpful information, and even includes a lifting/cardio routine which I plan to give a shot once I'm done with Stronglifts and C25K.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :D
  • Fat2Fit68
    Options
    Hi Everyone, thank you so much for all the great information. I will definitely start reading up on these sites to see what I can figure out...
  • teckelwood
    teckelwood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Www.workoutlabs.com have printable exercise illustrations. I have printed them out by upper body, core, and butt and legs. I cut them up and glued them to index cards, punched a hole in the side and put them on a ring, that way they are easy to pack around. Personally I did that project for at home exercises, but will work at a gym as well

as a rule of thumb when weight lifting have the weight heavy enough that you can do reps of 10-15 and do like 3 sets. Up the weight when doing 3 sets of 15 reps gets easy.

there is all kinds of information on the web on how to create a exercise plan. As well with how to operate the weight machines. Start with a few exercises and stick with it for a month or so then change the exercise type. If you stick with one routine your body will get use to it and will have little results

one of my favorite exercise videos is this is tae bo. Its challenging but good for beginners. To up the anty I bought 1.5 pound hand gloves to wear while doing the kickboxing.

I hope this helps!
    if you have any questions email me

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Another great resource is Fitocracy. Free to use, and you can pay for a membership if you want a couple of extra perks. Name a workout style, and there are support groups for it. Also they have lots of pre-made workouts.
  • teckelwood
    teckelwood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've tried googling exercise plan and just get ads for joining diet groups. Would you please post some links for where to find exercise plans or send a message to me if that's possible here. I'm 72 and have 2 new artificial hips so the 25K programs don't work for me (no running). I don't need to lose weight but maintaining is harder than loosing. Personal trainers don't exist where I live. Gym facilities are limited as well.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    New Rules For Lifting For Women is an excellent resource to teach you the how and why and help you set up a good program. Or you can go with strong lifts, which uses a basic set of five compound movements.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I never know where to start in the gym either. I do Beachbody workouts. I love them because you can do them right at home. The only thing you have to think about is hitting play. There are many types of programs. Right now I'm on P90X3 and I love how they're only 30 min long. It's not for everyone but worth looking into! :)
  • MrsRMR
    Options
    I have also found this information beneficial thanks all and of course the OP for posting
  • Fat2Fit68
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all this information. I'm really not into home videos, I have a collection of them and never use them. I personally, find myself to be MORE motivated when I go the Y and surround myself with people sweating and working hard. But I've been looking up everything that y'all have given me and wow, lots of info out there. I guess my new struggle is trying to figure out which exercises to do for which parts of the body. For example, abs: I know there are upper abs, lower, obliques and I'm sure there are more but I don't know which exercise to hit which muscles, if that makes sense???
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat2Fit68 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for all this information. I'm really not into home videos, I have a collection of them and never use them. I personally, find myself to be MORE motivated when I go the Y and surround myself with people sweating and working hard. But I've been looking up everything that y'all have given me and wow, lots of info out there. I guess my new struggle is trying to figure out which exercises to do for which parts of the body. For example, abs: I know there are upper abs, lower, obliques and I'm sure there are more but I don't know which exercise to hit which muscles, if that makes sense???

That is why I recommended the book. It puts together a complete program. And FYI, if you have a good basic program, you don’t have to trouble yourself with all the accessory items. New Rules for Lifting for Women.

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com also has workout plans that you can print out each day, with videos on how to correctly perform each move.
  • Fat2Fit68
    Options
    Looking up the book info now. Great idea...