What new foods have you tried?

Options
2»

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Funny to think about being 27 years old and having tried so many new things. One would think that is something you grow out of...

Scallops-love
    Spaghetti squash-LOVE. Roasted with evoo, salt and pepper and it's good to go!
    Roasted brussell sprouts-NOPE
    Sweet potatoes-NOPE
    Broccoli in eggs and on pizza-YES

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Pesto ,hummus,protein smoothies,turkey sausage,zoodles,egg whies scrambled with lots of veggies,mushrooms with tiny amt of cheese....garlic & Italian seasoning,melted in micro,cashew milk,low fat cheese sticks,all yummy

Quinoa....nope,low fat salad dressing ditto,chicken thigh meat just no,heavy " good for you bread" ditto,fake food.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I recently tried a Peanut Butter Bacon Cheeseburger !! Heavenly......
    Not calorie friendly, but it was my daughters birthday so it was OK !! ;)
  • donnawtm
    donnawtm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I might have to try this Quinoa everyone is talking about. What do you do with it?
    I can also now add Walnuts to my list,
    Didn't like them on their own but I chucked some in a apple and kiwi smoothie yummy!
    Almonds tomorrow, I'm thinking maybe Melon and pineapple smoothie
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    donnawtm wrote: »
    I might have to try this Quinoa everyone is talking about. What do you do with it?
    I can also now add Walnuts to my list,
    Didn't like them on their own but I chucked some in a apple and kiwi smoothie yummy!
    Almonds tomorrow, I'm thinking maybe Melon and pineapple smoothie

Qunioa is a grain, so you eat it like other grains. It doesn't have the starchy porridge like consistency of barley or oats. It's more similar to rice in that respect. It looks a bit like couscous when cooked. Couscous with little tendril thingys.
  • donnawtm
    donnawtm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se‌ Thank you, might pick some up on my next trip to the supermarket.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    roasted beets and parsnips, beet greens, kale or swiss chard in my omelettes, Green smoothies with radishes, beet greens half a lemon chia flax seed and hemp hearts
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Qunioa is *gross*... like eating tiny spiders with their curly things :/

Poached eggs - never tried them before then decided to try cooking one, and now I have at least one every day. I don't feel like my day has really started until I've had a cup of coffee and a poached egg!

Chili Pepper - I used to hate spicy food. HATE. ANY kind of 'hot' spice AT ALL. Bell peppers were too spicy! Now I put chili pepper on *everything*

Konjac Noodles (aka miracle noodles aka shirataki noodles) - mom in law had tried to make them as she was diabetic and looking for an alternative to noodles. Icky and spongey and just bluh. Then I came across a thread here about how to properly cook them. Now I eat them about as often as I eat poached eggs. I've even had them WITH my poached egg (just add a little butter and soy sauce. Nom!)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I tried kale chips after reading about them on here. Several posts said it was a good alternative to potato/corn chips. Those posts lied. It wasn't bad, but there are so many better ways to use kale.

I never had the nerve to try kale chips,don't even care for it cooked or raw.potato or corn chips,yum,,,,,poor ole kale doesn't even show.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've always been kind of a foodie so I really haven't discovered anything new being on MFP. That said, until MFP I didn't know people substituted cauliflower for everything that is white...I eat a lot of cauliflower, but I never knew that.
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    quinoa can taste bitter if it isn't rinsed before cooking, just run it under cold water in a fine strainer for a minute. i make mine similar to pilaf, toasting it in a bit of olive oil before pouring in hot water and a bit of salt (1.5 parts water or stock to 1 part quinoa), covering and simmering for ~20 min . sometimes I add onions to olive oil, let those cook a bit, then toast quinoa in the oniony caramelized goodness.

once your quinoa is cooked you can eat it as is or use it in any kind of grain salad you like; the basic formula being: a bit of dressing, some veggies, and something extra tasty like crumbled feta.
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    I love jack mackerel made like salmon patties. I like it better than salmon patties
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    quinoa … never heard of it till joining mfp and now i have it in salads every day.
    lentils/split peas/chick peas .. also i now eat every day in my salads ..
    avocados .. introduced to me in new york with friends ..again a salads not the same without it.
    sprouted lentils is a recent recent thing ..taste soooo good.
    almond milk and almond butter .. delicious

Thanks to map and everyone on the boards my food experience has taken me to new places :)
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The most recent new thing I've tried was a couple of years ago: kangaroo. I didn't like it, far too gamey. Which is a shame, because it's really good for you. I'll have to think of something else new to try, which is hard, because I've tried loads of things.