Gluten - Depression?

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/261289500_Randomised_clinical_trial_gluten_may_cause_depression_in_subjects_with_non-coeliac_gluten_sensitivity_-_an_exploratory_randomised_clinical_study

Who knows. It's plausible. Maybe worth looking into a bit more with a more powerful study. Problem is depression by its very nature is a subjective assessment, even though it is medically evaluated with a Mental Status Examination... It's not like an MRI, blood marker or Physical exam finding.

So hard to make an overly valid study, but something to think about.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    eveedance wrote: »
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/261289500_Randomised_clinical_trial_gluten_may_cause_depression_in_subjects_with_non-coeliac_gluten_sensitivity_-_an_exploratory_randomised_clinical_study

Who knows. It's plausible. Maybe worth looking into a bit more with a more powerful study. Problem is depression by its very nature is a subjective assessment, even though it is medically evaluated with a Mental Status Examination... It's not like an MRI, blood marker or Physical exam finding.

Except it's been found that non cealic gluten sensitivity is unlikely to exist. Whoops
  • Acg67 wrote: »

Except it's been found that non cealic gluten sensitivity is unlikely to exist. Whoops

I know there is debate and literature supports both views (existence and nonexistence). If you wouldn't mind posting the literature you are going by? If not, that's fine too. I just like making discussions literature-based as much as possible. Having access to more studies (that support or refute) is always a good thing.
  • Acg67 wrote: »

Yes, thanks that's the one that sticks out in my mind too. Like I said I'm fully aware of evidence for and against and I appreciate you dialoguing this way rather than your first response. Thanks again.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    I believe it is one of the things that screws with my moods. Two of my aunts have diagnosed celiac. So who knows?
  • eveedance wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

I know there is debate and literature supports both views (existence and nonexistence). If you wouldn't mind posting the literature you are going by? If not, that's fine too. I just like making discussions literature-based as much as possible. Having access to more studies (that support or refute) is always a good thing.

• Hi. My name is Wendy and I would like to connect with others who suffer from cealic and other allergies that cause bloating, weight gain, sinuses, and/or dermatitis.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    The first sign of many autoimmune diseases is depression.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    I have come to the conclusion that she science community has no freaking clue. The "good for you, bad for you, causes cancer " list changes weekly.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    I have coeliac disease and I get depressed that I can't have gluten. My favourite shopping centre now has a Krispy Kreme. FML.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    I have coeliac disease and I get depressed that I can't have gluten. My favourite shopping centre now has a Krispy Kreme. FML.

That is a perfect response! :)
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Interesting
  • I have a lot of stomach issues to, dairy, gluten, corn etc. Going to a naturopath was very helpful, as she tested me, and found out I have extremely low stomach acid. She put me on Swedish Bitters, and a couple other things, and I feel like a new person!

• eveedance
    eveedance Posts: 77
    Here is recent evidence in support of the fact that NCGS does infact exist

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25701700
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25734566

As well, the last trial confirms what makes sense from an evolutionary biology standpoint, that regardless if you have symptoms or not, the gut does have permeability response to a food that was never a dietary staple prior to the neolithic revolution.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Acg67 wrote: »

Not exactly. The conclusions drawn by the media were not warranted by the study itself. In the study, they picked people diagnosed with non celiac gluten intolerance...for the study to see if it exists. Which really means they are not testing whether gluten intolerance exist. They're testing to see if the medical community can TEST accurately for a condition that may or may not exist. And that, if it exists, we know little to nothing about, including what it might do to the body, which would alter what potential markers can be tested for.

So the conclusions really should be more about the test results, not the condition. The end result is that participants diagnosed as having gluten intolerance were not found to have gluten intolerance when certain physical markers were used as a testing method. That doesn't mean that gluten intolerance doesn't exist. It means that either our methods for diagnosing gluten intolerance or our methods for detecting it are inaccurate, you know?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Another interesting study on depression, that could relate to intolerances possibly, or many other conditions - http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288715.php
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Trust your body. Signals such as bloating, lethargy and gas are your body's way of telling you that it doesnt like what your feeding it. Isolate what impacts you negatively and remove it from your diet. Any inflammation in your body due to allergies or intolerance will greatly inhibit your ability to lose weight. Everyones body is different, how something affects you wont neccessarily be the way it affects someone else. Regardless of the studies...the scientific proof....the opinions....trust yourself and your body's ability to tell you what it needs. When you find the formula that works for you then you will feel the difference.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member

I'm celiac too, and I have the same issue. I get depressed every time I walk by the pretzel place in the mall... wow, do they smell good! :'(
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member

I'm celiac too, and I have the same issue. I get depressed every time I walk by the pretzel place in the mall... wow, do they smell good! :'(

lol... It's the cinnamon buns that get me!!! Although having celiac disease is a blessing too... We eat real food (or at least I do... Don't want to eat expensive processed junk).
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member

That is a perfect response! :)
    I don't have any issues with gluten, but I am extremely grateful there isn't a Krispy Kreme anywhere near my twisted obsession with hot donuts. I once ate a dozen on the drive home from a business trip. End results were not pleasant.