worried pre made food will taste bad after 4 days

Options
Im always scared to eat my pre made food after 4 days in the fridge. I sometimes take the first bite and throw it out cause it taste funny. So I go down the street and get chipotle.

Replies

• tmumma88
    Options
    Depending what you make I would freeze some of your portions. That is what I do and that way it stays fresh longer. The texture can sometimes be different depending what it is but it is worth a try to avoid waste and the easy excuse to splurge on chipotle.
  • leomarquez15
    leomarquez15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Didn't think about freezing my meal, I should get the freezer zip locks bags and try it. Good info
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Definitely freeze it. I premake heaps of meals and freeze them, it makes it so easy to grab and go. If you make a few different things, you can grab what takes your fancy and not have to get bored.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yup freeze it. I usually eat fridge leftovers within 2 days. Freezer portions last, like, months. I just made up 12 portions of enchilada's, and have portions of soup in there as well. Just finished off with my lasagna today.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything that's been in the fridge for more than 3 days, personally.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    When I make soups for lunches, I will eat them up to a week later with no weird flavors. I get a little wary after that.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is cooked meat and fish -3 days. Anything else -5 days. Often sauces improve over time as the ingredients (garlic, chilli, ginger, herbs and spices etc) seem to develop. Anything else goes in freezer barring salad items.

If you are reheating, make sure it is piping hot before serving.

Also make sure your fridge is working properly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Why not just make some fresh food? You could stir fry up a meal in the time it takes to go get something at Chipotle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why not just make some fresh food? You could stir fry up a meal in the time it takes to go get something at Chipotle.

THIS. I'm honestly baffled when people say that they just eat out or get takeout because they don't have time to cook. It takes less than 10 minutes to grill some chicken and cook some veggies. It would take me longer to go to the restaurant, get food, and come back.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Psychological. I leave meals in the fridge for a week and they're fine. Never poisoned myself.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Psychological. I leave meals in the fridge for a week and they're fine. Never poisoned myself.

If week-old chicken breast were bad for you, I would have been dead a long time ago.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

If week-old chicken breast were bad for you, I would have been dead a long time ago.

It depends on several of factors. Temp of the fridge, freshness of the meat when cooked, how often the fridge is opened, etc. But, yeah, if properly prepared and stored, it can keep for a week or more.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Also Try using glass containers. things stay fresher a lot longer in glass containers/ mason jars!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Aross83 wrote: »
    Also Try using glass containers. things stay fresher a lot longer in glass containers/ mason jars!

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. My mom swears I'm nuts when I say my stuff lasts longer in glass.

True story.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    If it smells funny, I don't eat it. LOL
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I always put my leftovers in lunch portion containers and into the freezer the same day. Then, in the mornings, I take whatever frozen leftover I'm in the mood for and let it defrost while at my desk until lunch. Walla!
  • littleaudrey85
    littleaudrey85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Aross83 wrote: »

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. My mom swears I'm nuts when I say my stuff lasts longer in glass.

True story.

Haha yes to both of these! I might chicken (or tuna) salad Sunday nights and eat it throughout the rest of the work week for lunch. Sealed up tight in a glass container and it still tastes first day fresh by Friday.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Nothing we say will change your mind set. Hope you enjoy Chipotle.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I hate frozen food, the texture grosses me out. If you're like me, use glass containers for the fridge, and just make enough for 2-3 meals (3 if you KNOW you'll eat them, otherwise just 2 meals).

Here are things I make and things to make with them:

Meatloaf (no ketchup or whatever glaze, though - basically baked hamburger stuff).
    - sandwich
    - with sauce over pasta, like meatballs
    - with rice and/or black beans (for those - sautee with onion, garlic, and red wine, 5 mins)

Roast beef
    - sandwich
    - with pasta, again, like a stroganoff (sauce w yogurt)
    - put a different sauce over it, like a stir fry, and have it with rice and a salad
    - burritos

Roast chicken
    - sandwich
    - pasta
    - salad
    - rice dish (add peppers and a tiny bit of sausage for flavour)
    - burritos
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I cook for two so it is easy to have the leftovers pile up. I don't typically pre-cook a lot. So I package up part of my dinner for lunch the next day. This past weekend we had a "leftovers dinner" where I pulled out my party platter and put a different leftover in each section, along with some burritos. I was lucky as it had been a particularly colorful selection of leftovers. Green asparagus, orange mashed squash with potatoes, and so on. It was gobbled up pretty fast.