Why not loosing on the scales

Options
I'm on 1480 cals a day. Chose sedentary however am questioning this. I do x2 45min personal training a week. Walk about 5km once a week and ride the bike 30km once a week. By the end of my week I burn 2,000-2,500 calories. I've Been on MFP more than 2 months and NOT loosing weight? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Are you being absolutely and completely honest regarding your food intake?
    Are you weighing your portions, or guessing?
    MFP does work, but you have to be brutally honest with yourself....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ncastles wrote: »
    I'm on 1480 cals a day. Chose sedentary however am questioning this. I do x2 45min personal training a week. Walk about 5km once a week and ride the bike 30km once a week. By the end of my week I burn 2,000-2,500 calories. I've Been on MFP more than 2 months and NOT loosing weight? What am I doing wrong?

are you logging your exercise, cutting the calories in half due to MFP estimation and eating them back? Because you should be

You need to log accurately I'm pretty sure you are eating, by accident, more than you think

tighten up on your logging, weigh everything, log it carefully, never use cups, check calories against packages and other calorie databases, never use other people's homemade recipes and don't overestimate your exercise burns using the MFP database (cut them in half)

Set your diary to public for specific advice

PS you lose weight so your clothes feel looser
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest

^^^if you are not logging like this then you are not logging very accurately

If you are logging your exercise when you do it then it should NOT be included in your activity setting, otherwise you are double counting it.

if you open your diary you may get some more helpful advice
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?
    Don't overthink it and be patient. Yes, 2 months is quite a while but the scale shouldn't dictate your success. Are you losing inches? Do you feel better?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you logging and weighing everything you eat? If not, you're eating more than you think.
  • ncastles
    ncastles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest

^^^if you are not logging like this then you are not logging very accurately

If you are logging your exercise when you do it then it should NOT be included in your activity setting, otherwise you are double counting it.

if you open your diary you may get some more helpful advice

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Firstly, I am specific when logging food eg: in grams, and not generic. I also log my ingredients for the recipes I make. I cook a lot at home so scales are my friend.
    But do agree, I could be better at it and the link was Really helpful
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public?
  • ncastles
    Options
    Don't feel comfortable with that
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No weight loss over 2 months = no deficit.

this...

Through error, inaccurate logging, something, you're not in a calorie deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Don't feel comfortable with that
    Nothing wrong with that. You're not in a deficit.
  • ncastles
    Options
    How do I make it a deficit? Do I eat less than 1480?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    You weigh and measure everything you eat. Unless you do this, you have no idea how many calories you're really consuming.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    A deficit just means eating fewer calories than what your body burns in a 24 hour period - daily activity, walking, working, sleeping, exercise, folding laundry, etc.

If you entered all your info accurately in MFP, your daily goal will be a deficit, and that's without exercise. Meaning you could eat to goal every day, do zero exercise and you'll lose. And of course, logging exercise increases your goal - you've burned more cals, so MFP adds them back in, eat them (or at least a portion, depending on what you're using to estimate burned cals) and you'll be back at the original deficit and still lose.

However all this info is only as good as your logging skills - as others have said, the more accurate you can be, particularly with food, the better off. If you don't have a food scale, get one. They don't cost much or take up much space on the counter. Weigh all your solids, and use measuring spoons and cups for liquids.

For cal burns, get a decent HRM or an all day tracker. And then be prepared to watch how things go for about 4-6 weeks. If you're consistent with tracking and logging everything, evaluate after than amount of time and see how you're doing. Losing weight? Awesome, keep at it. Gaining or staying the same? Drop cals by 100 or so and wait another few weeks.

It takes time, but it's worth it.
  • ncastles
    Options
    Thank thank you for your response. Finally it's making more sense. You're great at explaining MFP,
    In the bar graphs, on the days I exercise it shows my net calories well under 1480. It also show me in 7 days my average is 1100-1200 calories.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Losing not loosing.
  • ncastles
    Options
    Not
    Loosing
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options