Thoughts on/experience with eliminating refined sugar/processed foods?

Options
swimm79
swimm79 Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all,
I got down so I was within my "last 10 pounds" range, hit a wall, gained some, and feel like I'd like to look closer at what I'm eating now instead of just how much. Has anyone here tried cutting out refined sugar and heavily processed foods (excluding home-canned items)? What are your thoughts? Beyond just losing weight, I'd like to have a strategy that makes me feel healthy too!

Replies

• Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've cut out all of that and feel fantastic! Wouldn't go back to the way I was eating. I was addicted to sugar and "carbs" can't have it its too much of a trigger for me. I've upped the good fats and not as hungry as often. The carb monkey is off my back!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,933 Member
    Options
    It could refocus your commitment but it's probably not sustainable and then what happens when you do consume some refined sugar or something heavily processed.......nothing is what happens unless you start to over consume, funny how that works.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It was a great decision for me. I cut out refined sugar and most wheat and have a lot more energy and no longer get cravings. I also am very rarely hungry, because I replaced the sugar and bread with more protein and healthy fats. I say give it a try and see how it works for you.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I have for health reasons, though probably a lot more severely than you have in mind. End result - less water retention, no hunger spikes, and over the years, I've lost the taste for super sweet things, while at the same time I can taste the sweetness in a lot of foods where people normally don't. I'm also far more aware of the metallic taste in artificial sweeteners or of things being too salty in packaged foods.

It is sustainable long term, if that's what you want to do, but you have to go into it knowing the implications. A slice of birthday cake may be a once or twice a year treat, but it also might give you a hangover of sorts to rival tequila for a day or so after, similar to how vegetarians will get sick when they eat meat after going without for so long.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I did that once. It did work for weight, but the main benefit, to me, was that it altered my preferences - away from food that got me into trouble, and towards food that supports a number of health goals. Although I do eat highly processed food now, on occasion, I also know from experience how good I can feel when I eat lots of veg, fruit, meats, and less-processed grains.
  • swimm79
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, it sounds like something I'll have to try! How do you guys pack meals to go though without including processed carbs?

Neanderthin, I agree it would undoubtedly have to give on some occasions, to not offend some relative at a yearly gathering for instance haha:) In cases like that I'd be ok with it.
  • aaronames
    Options
    I cut all added sweeteners from my diet hoping I would feel much better. I was most likely much healthier but I didn't sleep better, still was tired a lot. I lasted close to two years. I do endorse it if you want to be healthy, the sugar craving leaves after a few months, but I will say it was not easy.
  • juliamc183
    juliamc183 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Quite recently I decided to massively cut back on all the refined sugar I was eating. My problem used to be that the more I ate it, the more I craved it, and looking back the amount of sugary junk I was getting through really wasn't healthy.

At the moment, the 'worst' thing I eat on a regular basis is a 125g pot of fruit yoghurt, which I have on most mornings with my muesli and fruit for breakfast. There are probably healthier yoghurts out there (I understand Greek yoghurt is something a lot of people go for), but because that's more or less the only 'bad' thing I eat, and I eat it along with healthy stuff, I figured I could be doing far worse.

As for things like chocolate, fizzy drinks, etc, I've gone more or less completely cold turkey. I think last week I may have had one Toffee Crisp, but that was literally it and even then I could very easily have done without it. That method won't work for everyone, and I suppose strictly speaking moderation might be a better approach, but I know that with me it's very easy for one bar of chocolate to lead to another one (and another one) and completely cutting it out just seemed to make more sense, at least in these early stages. I can't imagine staying completely refined-sugar-free forever, though, and so whenever I feel like I want to have it again I'll make sure that I wean myself back onto it carefully and with a more active effort to consume it in moderation. But in the mean time I'm simply not craving it all, and I'm not exactly going to eat it just for the sake of eating it! I can't believe that I can go into shops now and honestly not be tempted in the slightest by any of the sweets on offer. Like I said before, it genuinely felt like the more I ate the more I needed, and now that I'm not having it as much that constant craving appears to have abated.

So, the long and short of it is I'm very glad to have cut down and become less dependent on it. A friend even commented today that my skin was looking good, but I don't know how much of that is due to the lack of sugar!

• benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as clean as possible, and when I do cheat I definitely feel worse. As other posts have said, it does get easier once you have been doing it for a while and you stop craving those foods.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    unneeded, but there is an interesting fetish attached to it.

i'd say, eat what you like, don't eat too much, and you'll be fine.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    swimm79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, it sounds like something I'll have to try! How do you guys pack meals to go though without including processed carbs?

Neanderthin, I agree it would undoubtedly have to give on some occasions, to not offend some relative at a yearly gathering for instance haha:) In cases like that I'd be ok with it.

A lot of leftovers. Get some wide mouth, glass insulated thermoses, the kind meant to eat out of instead of drink. Pre-heat them with boiling water for 5 minutes, dump the water, then put in your warm food, and it will keep it warm. Reverse works, too, with ice water instead of boiling, to keep things cold.

When that's not an option, string cheese, raw veggie sticks, lower carb nuts, celery and nut butters or cheese, lettuce wraps with whatever kind of fillings you want.

I'm spoiled now since I work from home, so I can make whatever I want for lunches, but the thermoses were survival when I still had to drive in to work.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your weight goals, if you suspect changing some things in your diet will make you feel better (more energetic, for example) and it won't do you harm, why not try it?

That said, I'm slamming my head repeatedly into that last ten pounds wall right now and I eat no grain and nothing with added sugar in it and I cook from scratch, so it's no guarantee of weight loss. The last ten is just terrible anyway. If I had remembered how awful and slow it was losing it last time, I probably wouldn't have to be losing it again right now because I wouldn't have let myself gain any back. So be prepared to weigh and measure every bite and watch yourself like a hawk. A grass fed, organic, cage free hawk.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Best thing i ever did for my energy levels and overall feel. Plus it did wonders for my digestive system.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did a Whole30 in January. I felt good during it and the food was great! If you don't know what Whole30 is, it's basically an extreme paleo. No sugar, grains, dairy, alcohol, or grains. Unfortunately, I didn't lose any weight at all. It was SO disappointing to cut out all sugar and processed foods and not lose anything. I always thought that my over-consumption of sugar was the primary roadblock to weight loss for me.

So now I'm back to counting calories. I'm avoiding processed food as much as possible. After that month of cooking such great food, I learned some really good habits like batch cooking.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    If you think it will help, there is nothing to lose. Make small steps to cut out processed foods and sugars. You may never get to a point where you are completely free of processed foods and added sugars but you can give it a try.
  • StellaMA20
    StellaMA20 Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've cut out refined sugar and 99% of processed foods - I still sometimes have protein powder and some wasa crackers....but at the moment, that's it. It also helps to not be in the US these days and not be barraged with processed food constantly - so its easy to buy tomatoes and onions instead of pasta sauce, or regular yogurt instead of fruit yogurt, natural cheese instead of sliced crap, and just fresh chicken or fish instead of prepared foods. There are cookies and chips in the markets where I am, but those are easier to avoid. The chocolates are also manageable to avoid. I eat lots of fruits, vegetables including starchy vegetables at times, beans, quinoa and unprocessed grains, chicken, fish, cheese, and rarely rice. Olives and natural cheddar cheese are a regular treat, as are avocados. I don't miss much - but once in a blue moon, I wish I could have a slice of fresh baked cake with strawberries.... I have more energy normally and I only crave clean flavors when I'm hungry....like oranges and cheese etc.

I hope I'm able to make this last - but I may re-introduce once in a few months options of cake and ice cream and may bake some cake myself...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think it would be pretty hard to completely eliminate all commercially processed foods. I do try to limit the amount I eat. We grow a lot of our food, raise chickens for meat and eggs, hunt and fish. We don't eat a lot of sweets. Very, very rarely eat premade food from the grocery or fast food, though we do eat in restaurants occasionally. I'd say we eat somewhere between 80-90% whole/minimally processed foods, depending on the time of year.

I eat plenty of grains, nuts and beans. Fiber is very important to me.