Losing inches but not weight...

Options
hi
I haven't lost any weight for the last 2 weeks but I'm clearly losing inches. Sometimes the weight on the scales goes up by a couple of pounds! :/

I'm on 960 cals a day and always in deficit on average by 100 cals. I also exercise 5-6 times a week which adds roughly 200-300 cals burned a day. I don't eat those cals.

I don't weigh my food before anyone asks. I go by the weight on the bags/ food packaging (not processed) I'm 9 stone 10 and trying to get down to 9 stone.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I intensely dislike what the scales do to people which is discourage and disappoint. Muscle weighs more than fat. It is GREAT that you're losing inches! The weight loss experts (which I am definitely not) in here may be able to advise you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP can I ask how tall you are and your current weight/how much you need to lose? Why do you feel you have to eat only 960 calories a day?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    hi
    I haven't lost any weight for the last 2 weeks but I'm clearly losing inches. Sometimes the weight on the scales goes up by a couple of pounds! :/

I'm on 960 cals a day and always in deficit on average by 100 cals. I also exercise 5-6 times a week which adds roughly 200-300 cals burned a day. I don't eat those cals.

I don't weigh my food before anyone asks. I go by the weight on the bags/ food packaging (not processed) I'm 9 stone 10 and trying to get down to 9 stone.

If you are eating below 1000 calories a day, unless you are extremely short, this sounds like an eating disorder, so you have bigger problems than not losing weight. Unless this is some sort of crash diet supposed to work in a few weeks? Which is again not a healthy way to lose weight.
  • ripcurlrana
    ripcurlrana Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I should just throw the scales away!
  • ripcurlrana
    Options
    Oh!! I've obviously set up my goals wrong on this app!! It's NOT a crash diet! I'm 5'2, I'm currently 9 stone 10 pounds. When I input this into the app under 'lightly active' it told me to be on 960 cals a day.

• Blisschick1
    Options
    So about 136 lbs...I'm the same height, and the ideal weight for that height is between 98-135 lbs. I don't know what your bone structure is like, but for me, if I go anything below 135, I start to look too thin. I really wouldn't worry too much about about your weight.
  • ripcurlrana
    Options
    For me I can see I need to lose some fat around my belly and tops of my thighs.
    I used to be around the 9 stone weight but it's slowly crept back on this last year.

I would appreciate anyone advising me what my calorie intake should be. Today's advise has helped me to keep the exercise up as I was disheartened with this mornings weigh in.

Thank you.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I too have been losing inches but not weight, for 7 weeks.....I have lots to lose too.....I am 244lbs, started at 251 nearly 8 weeks ago.....for weeks I have stayed around the 247 /248 mark, but I know I have lost from my belly, and face and other places.....so I am not worried about the scales....just wish I had measured from the start too.....Anyways, the scales have started to come down this week, lost 5lbs this week alone....bringing me closer to what I should be losing....so stick with it.....but I would look at what your eating.....try loading your details in again, changing the activity up or down one, see what it gives you then.....you can then go down again see if it goes back to the 960 you say....that does seem very low.....MFP says for a woman not to eat under 1200 a day.....but I am no expert on how much to eat.....(hence the big belly...lol)

I have been averaging 1300 cals a week less than my goal for 7 weeks now, and I am fine, but I am eating at least 1600 most day......

I got a fitbit charge last week to track my daily activity and it has given me far too many calories back so my gap this week is huge compared to before the FB....But I am eating sensibly, I hope you do too....

Good luck with it..
  • ripcurlrana
    Options
    Thank you for the info and advise Jon. Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh!! I've obviously set up my goals wrong on this app!! It's NOT a crash diet! I'm 5'2, I'm currently 9 stone 10 pounds. When I input this into the app under 'lightly active' it told me to be on 960 cals a day.

There's been some odd data being thrown at people - we believe there's gremlins in the MFP machinery - basically you should up that to 1200 minimum and ensure you get a good spread of nutrients.

960 is not a recommended calorie amount for losing weight in a healthy manner

Also - if you're losing inches, that's where it counts , ignore the scale which is often masked by standard fluctuations due to water weight (affected by cyclical hormones, sodium, change-up in exercise etc)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I used to be around the 9 stone weight but it's slowly crept back on this last year.

I would appreciate anyone advising me what my calorie intake should be. Today's advise has helped me to keep the exercise up as I was disheartened with this mornings weigh in.

Thank you.

Also follow a progressive lifting programme if you're looking to reshape effectively
  • Crystal_D_89
    Options
    I completely understand the frustration, that was the hardest issue for me to break. But what really matters are the inches.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome work. I'll take inches over pounds any day.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Why people continue to ask for help and don't share the biggest part of the equation is beyond me.
    1st, lets see what you are eating.
    2nd, your net calories are way to low. Eating 960 and burning 2-300 puts your total calories for fuel at about 660. That is plan and simple unhealthy. You're probably loosing inches as your body fuel itself with eating your muscle mass. I'm really surprised you're not gaining weight as your body goes into survival mode.
    YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LOOSE WEIGHT. Also, lift weights.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Thank you.

Also follow a progressive lifting programme if you're looking to reshape effectively

This!!! Add weight training into your workouts.
    If your measurements are smaller, I always think who cares what a number on the scale says?? It's not as though you walk around with your weight number on a t-shirt for everyone to see. It's how you look and feel that's important.
    In regards to the calories, you should eat the most that you can whilst losing weight. I've had a quick work out that based on your height, weight and working out 5/6 times a week, you need 1901 calories to stay your current weight. So to lose 1lb a week, you should be eating at least 1401calories a day. If you're not weighing your food, you have no accurate idea of how much you are eating. But if you are eating around 900 cals, you can eat a lot more!!! I can make a bet with you that if you eat more, you'll lose :smiley:
  • markzak26
    markzak26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    960 calories is nuts!
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Inches > Pounds (or Stones) any day! And @rabbitjb is completely right when it comes to weight lifting! If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest it... Muscle weighs more than fat, so while the scale may go up, you'll see those inches keep on shredding off...

Also, I agree on 960 calories being way too low... If you're working out 5 times I week, I would consider that more than active... MFP's app is a little odd though-- do your own resource and adjust accordingly. I'm 5' 6", and 136 pounds, and I just went from 1200 to 1400 because I was always starving...
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the MFP has you eating less than you should! Don't worry so much about the number on the scale. Take your measurements and just go by that for a while. If you are eating enough, working out regularly and getting your water, you may be replacing your fat with muscle. It will look like you're not losing weight but you are still getting healthier. No one knows the number on your scale except you! And...if you up your calorie intake, you will probably start to see a decline in the number on the scale. Your body is probably holding on to every calorie it can because you are eating at starvation level.
  • ripcurlrana
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advise. I will up my calories even though MFP recommended it.

I do interval running on treadmill 2-3 times a week for 30 mins and kettleworx for 2-3 times a week - 20 mins.

Can anyone advise what the ratio between Carbs v Fat v Protein should be please?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    hi

Congrats? keep doing what you're doing??

Would you rather weigh less but be larger? I don't understand that the problem is here.