Fibromyalgia and Exercise

Options
Anyone out there dealing with Fibromyalgia? Trying to at least walk everyday but sometimes that is hard in itself! Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• Kat692015
    Options
    Yes I do.... Been about 7 years now and I just try one day at a time, I really have gotten worse when I flare :(
  • Mummieof3boyz
    Options
    Yeah I hear ya! I stopped my medication 2 weeks in. Trying to do it through eating clean and exercise so far so good. Mind over matter! Going to try boxing next week! Wish me luck! Add me if you ever need to talk about the fibro :)
  • wedalton
    wedalton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I have fibro. Diagnosed in 2011. I have gained a lot of weight and it seems my flares are getting worse. Looking to make some new friends. It's time to turn things around.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    I empathize with you all. I can't imagine how painful it is with fibro. Any exercise at all that you enjoy is good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not fibro but chronic pain from a cervical spine injury that left me with all sorts of damage. I found working out actually gave me my power back. I feel like I actually have control over myself now, instead of the pain controlling me.

I really enjoy walking as I can go faster if I feel OK, or slower if I'm in more pain. Swimming and aqua aerobics is also fantastic as it's a great workout and the water helps lesson the pain as there's no real impact. I'd really recommend some water workouts, particularly if you can get to a warm water pool (I just know for me if I'm cold, I will have more nerve pain). Otherwise, take it slow, listen to your body, and just keep trying. You got this!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    <-- Diagnosed in 1999. I find the more I exercise, the less I experience flare-ups. I've gone from daily, almost constant pain to maybe once or twice a month, depending on my stress level. At this point, I suspect I would be bedridden if I didn't do *something* at least 3 times a week. You can do it, too! You might be amazed at what your body can do for you. :)
  • goodlookin229
    goodlookin229 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    YES, I DO. EXERCISE HAS HELPED ME A LOT AND TRYING TO EAT BETTER. IF I DONT FEEL I CAN DO THE EXERCISE I JUST DONT DO IT. I JUST LISTEN TO MY BODY!!! SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS!!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Daily exercise seems to help me. I've worked up to being able to do quite a bit most days. I try to limit myself to 2 hours a day--any more than that and I run into problems.

When I flare, it tends to be very bad and to last for a week or more...but that hasn't happened in a while.