Am I eating enough?

Options
Can you guys give me advice on my food diary. I'm 18, male, 5'11". 153lb. trying to lose 2+lb a week.
Average Intake:
CAlories - Carbs - FAts - Proteins
1,064 163 24 73

Thanks

Replies

• ndswimchick22
    ndswimchick22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well, your goal is very ambitious, and I would recommend trying to lose a bit less a week. After looking at your diary, it seems that you're not eating enough on some days. You should AT LEAST eat 1200 calories a day, in order for your body to function. That's a major problem...
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    You need to make your diary open to the public for us to be able to see if your eating enough! I think you can do it through settings.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    In my opinion no, you're not eating enough. You are still growing so have far different requirements to anyone who has finished growing.

have a play with the tools on here and see what calories it gives you to maintain...then cut no more than 200-400 a week from that figure. The closer you are to goal the slower it has to be I'm afraid, trying to lose weight too quickly at your age could lead to problems later on....not worth it. Slow and steady definitely wins the race in this case
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Wait why has noone asked why you are trying to lose 2+ lbs a week when you are 5'11 and 153lbs. that seems like a good weight range for your height.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No, it does not appear to be enough, what did MPF recommend? At your age, I would see a Dr. as you may need extra nutrition to insure proper growth. Males at this age are in a growth spurt zone and you want to make sure you are doing everything correctly.

See a Doctor, even one at a Clinic should be able to guide you.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The foods you're eating are pretty good, but you're falling short of your calorie goal,.

This might mean you're not getting enough nutrients. 1200 a day is a fairly good rough stab at basic minimum daily intake. You're not meeting that. Increase your portions of what are really good food choices by about 10%.

At your weight and height, I'm guessing you don't have a lot to lose - you're near a healthy bmi, yes? In which case a goal of 2 lb a week is going to be extremely unlikely - better to shoot for 1/2 lb a week.

Going out on a limb here, but as a tall young male, do you have a body type you're aspiring to? Are you working out regularly too?
  • catcrazy
    Options
    Wait why has noone asked why you are trying to lose 2+ lbs a week when you are 5'11 and 153lbs. that seems like a good weight range for your height.

That is a good question...140 at 5ft11 is still in the healthy range but 153 is not even close to overweight.

1200 a day is a fairly good rough stab at basic minimum daily intake.

Its actually widely recognised as 1500 minimum for a male
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    At 18 years old, 5' 11" and 153 pounds, you must be pretty thin already. That's near the bottom end of the healthy weight range for you. My son is about your age and height and weighs closer to 180. While he isn't thin, he isn't overweight, either. I think 2 pounds per week is unrealistic given your current height and weight and I hope your desire to lose more weight stems from something healthy.

Your BMR is about 1800 calories a day. Your metabolism is as high as it probably ever will be in your life. If you under-eat now, your metabolism is going to plummet and you'll have that much of a harder time keeping weight off as you get older. I'm speaking from experience and I'd like to see you avoid that mistake.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    No, you are not eating enough.

Also, with your current stats, you would have to take extreme measures (ie, extremely unhealthy) to lose 2 lbs. a week. That is a hard pace to maintain for someone who is obese, much less someone who is ALREADY AT A HEALTHY WEIGHT.
  • twisto53zz
    twisto53zz Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm actually pretty fat. 16% BF, it's just i have not much lean mass. ill be sure to work on eating more, thanks for the personalized advice! ( I have been losing 2-3lbs a week) through exercise and healthy eating :S
  • catcrazy
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm actually pretty fat. 16% BF, it's just i have not much lean mass. ill be sure to work on eating more, thanks for the personalized advice! ( I have been losing 2-3lbs a week) through exercise and healthy eating :S

Have a look at this table and you will see that you are on the higher end of average for your body fat % but you also have to realise that some of that "extra" is needed for continued growth (up to about age 21 for males). Have a mooch around the forums and seek out the fellas that are working on reducing body fat and building muscle... I'm positive that most will be more than happy to help you. To gain muscle you need to eat differently but not necessarily in deficit. http://www.csgnetwork.com/bodyfatcalc.html
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on increasing muscle mass. If you keep eating such an extreme deficit, you're going to lose just as much muscle mass as fat, and shoot your metabolism down.