Opinions about antiobiotics?

Options
About a month ago I began taking Doxycycline (100mg 2x a day) for acne. For about 2.5 weeks everything seemed to be going fine, one day I began having stomach problems and had to stop. I gained a total of 8 lbs during my treatment, I am a very healthy eater and I run 4 to 5 times a week (between 2 to 5 miles per run). I need advice on how to loose the quick weight gain and could this peak be caused from the antibiotics?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was on that (or a closely related antibiotic, I can't remember exactly which -cycline it was) a few weeks ago for an infection and the pharmacist warned me that class of antibiotics need to be taken with food or they can cause an upset stomach or worse. That's probably what happened to you. I didn't gain any weight during that week, though.

The weight gain is mostly water unless you ate an extra 28,000 calories over that 2.5 week period. It'll shed on its own but you might try drinking more water for awhile to help flush it out.
  • lagrotto
    lagrotto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics can disturb your gut flora changing the way you digest and metabolize food. Try taking a probiotic for the next month or so.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    lagrotto wrote: »
    Antibiotics can disturb your gut flora changing the way you digest and metabolize food. Try taking a probiotic for the next month or so.

Good thought. Antibiotics can kill the good bacteria in your body along with the bad causing digestive issues and even things like yeast infections. I always eat yogurt at least every other day while I'm taking an antibiotic.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics kill all bacteria and cause an overabundance of yeast. That can also cause inflammation.

Anyone on antibiotics should use a good probiotic supplement after to replenish gut bacteria.

Consuming anti-inflammatory foods would also be a good idea.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How long are you supposed to be on it? Did you stop with our without your doctor's approval? I ask the latter because of potential antibiotic resistance.

I took it for two weeks and noticed that I was hungrier but I didn't let myself eat more. If you had stomach problems or gained weight, it might have been for a reason like that but the antibiotic can't make you gain weight.
  • Crystal_D_89
    Options
    I was supposed to be on a 6 week treatment and as soon as I had the stomach problem I called my doctor and she recommended me stopping. I have been very slowly loosing it about a lb every other day, I am also drinking alot of water.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Definitely add probiotics or yogurt to your diet--doxy is pretty non-specific and can wipe out all of your normal body flora (in addition to the upset stomach you may be more prone to vaginal yeast infections as well). Also be aware that if you are on oral birth control you should use a backup method as well while you are on antibiotics as the digestive disruptions will affect the absorption of the birth control.

A 6-week oral regimen for acne is pretty major--she couldn't have prescribed something topical? And then the fact that she told you to just go ahead and stop when you had the digestive issues... This type of the stuff that causes antibiotic resistance. Grrr to your doctor for not prescribing smarter.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I was on that (or a closely related antibiotic, I can't remember exactly which -cycline it was) a few weeks ago for an infection and the pharmacist warned me that class of antibiotics need to be taken with food or they can cause an upset stomach or worse. That's probably what happened to you. I didn't gain any weight during that week, though.

The weight gain is mostly water unless you ate an extra 28,000 calories over that 2.5 week period. It'll shed on its own but you might try drinking more water for awhile to help flush it out.

I had to take cycline antibotic for a tooth infection and there are strict warnings to take with food. It also can/will cause diarrhea in longer use and that diarrhea can turn into C-diff. (bad bad bacteria in intestines.... this antibotic eats the good bacteria). So if you are getting diarrhea from this medicine, get back with your doctor, for you don't want it to go into C-diff
  • fevrale
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Definitely add probiotics or yogurt to your diet--doxy is pretty non-specific and can wipe out all of your normal body flora (in addition to the upset stomach you may be more prone to vaginal yeast infections as well). Also be aware that if you are on oral birth control you should use a backup method as well while you are on antibiotics as the digestive disruptions will affect the absorption of the birth control.

A 6-week oral regimen for acne is pretty major--she couldn't have prescribed something topical? And then the fact that she told you to just go ahead and stop when you had the digestive issues... This type of the stuff that causes antibiotic resistance. Grrr to your doctor for not prescribing smarter.

Some people with severe acne take doxy continually.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yup, I'd get a new doctor, this one sounds like a quack.
  • fevrale
    Options
    I was supposed to be on a 6 week treatment and as soon as I had the stomach problem I called my doctor and she recommended me stopping. I have been very slowly loosing it about a lb every other day, I am also drinking alot of water.

Stomach problems are a common side effect so you're not alone on that. I didn't feel great. And, like I said, super hungry. I stopped on Monday and I feel like I'm back to normal again, appetite-wise.

In more severe cases, they prescribe six weeks to six months. Do you have moderate to severe acne? I don't think your doctor was wrong in prescribing it. It's a normal course for acne problems, especially when they think it's bacterial.

Hopefully you have a topical retin-A or something else to help you out with the acne.
  • fevrale
    Options
    Oh, and if you want to ask a group of people with a LOT of experience with stuff like this go to www.reddit.com/r/skincareaddiction

Like 150,000 people who've had the same problems.
  • itsirkmr
    itsirkmr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »

Yes, I take it for rosacea. I take a probiotic every day. I have not experienced any GI problems.
  • fevrale
    Options
    itsirkmr wrote: »
    fevrale wrote: »

Yes, I take it for rosacea. I take a probiotic every day. I have not experienced any GI problems.

I took probiotics too. But I didn't know you weren't supposed to take them within two hours of the antibiotic because of absorption problems. Oops. :neutral_face:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist tried to put me on long-term antibiotics for rosacea, too. He also told me I should avoid anything that makes my face flush--so no working out, no hot showers, no drinking coffee, no drinking alcohol, no spicy foods... Along with the aforementioned birth control issue...

Instead I found a new dermatologist who wrote me a prescription for Metrogel and life is good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist tried to put me on long-term antibiotics for rosacea, too. He also told me I should avoid anything that makes my face flush--so no working out, no hot showers, no drinking coffee, no drinking alcohol, no spicy foods... Along with the aforementioned birth control issue...

Instead I found a new dermatologist who wrote me a prescription for Metrogel and life is good.
    boom goes the dynamite.
  • Crystal_D_89
    Options
    I am considering switching doctors, I know she wants me to get onto Accutane if the treatment this round doesn't work out well. She prescribed antibiotics, face wash, and two topical creams. I am currently using the face wash and the topical creams and they seem to be doing the job but at a slower rate. I will work probiotics into my schedule. I didn't feel majorly hungry when taking the antibiotics, if anything I felt nauseous and got stomach cramps when I ate anything, and I was also extremely bloated. Since stopping on Friday my bloating has been slowly leaving me but it is taking some time....
  • fevrale
    Options
    I am considering switching doctors, I know she wants me to get onto Accutane if the treatment this round doesn't work out well. She prescribed antibiotics, face wash, and two topical creams. I am currently using the face wash and the topical creams and they seem to be doing the job but at a slower rate. I will work probiotics into my schedule. I didn't feel majorly hungry when taking the antibiotics, if anything I felt nauseous and got stomach cramps when I ate anything, and I was also extremely bloated. Since stopping on Friday my bloating has been slowly leaving me but it is taking some time....

Is it a GP or a dermatologist? If it's a GP, maybe you should get a referral to someone who specializes. Also, dermatologists tend to be the most skilled doctors (at the top of their med school class) because it's kind of a cushy gig.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Yikes that is no life. What could you do? Yeah good call finding a new doctor! :)
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are many articles about chickens gaining weight when given antibiotics. Do some searches on it, interesting and disturbing stuff. Made me finally jump on the organic bandwagon and open my eyes