Think you're getting fat if you dont run?

Options
Recently I've had this problem where I think if I dont run that I will get fat lol. My knees,shins, ankles, thighs have all been hurting me lately and I think its from over training. I run every other day then Ill lift weights and do HIIT on the stationary bike in the gym, or the elliptical on the days off from running. I work construction and move a lot, work out, and walk the dog almost 2 miles every night. I always think that if I dont actually do running then im not doing any cardio. Am I the only one who thinks this all the time? I always think I just have to run or I think Im giving up on myself. I love the feeling of getting winded or tired on my runs.

I just recently purchased a HRM so I can do boxing on my cardio days instead of running. My knees have just been taking this pounding for 2 years now.

Replies

• charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes. I feel the same way. I love to run, but I know it's hella hard on my body - but I feel like if I don't run I won't get "good enough" cardio.

I run pretty much every day.........weight train every day too.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    From your picture it looks to me like you could use some fat on you. I don't say that to be mean, but I hope you eat a hell of a lot of food to keep your body working that hard all the time.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It's like if I don't run it's not really a workout. My knees kill me afterward. But it's a good kinda hurt. Is that weird? Running makes me feel like I actually did something. But not just running. It has to be running outdoors. I don't like running on the treadmill. I feel like I can go faster and longer outside. It's probably just in my head!
  • AliCat2705
    AliCat2705 Posts: 22
    Options
    So good to know I am not the only one! I think the same thing! I run every day..if I take a "day off" I still end up doing some hard cord walking lol. I have to run every day and not small amounts either. Plus I walk every night and usually every lunch time, plus I do resistance training every other day. I still feel like if I dont do ALL of it, ALL of the time then I am going to gain.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to be a runner. I have tried many times, but I find it painful. It has been somewhat demoralizing, but the elliptical is my answer to running. It is so smooth and gentle. I kick some serious a** on the elliptical. As long as I've got my tunes I'm good to go. There is no way you will become fat with that list of activity. You may have to cut cals a bit. Let the running go for a while. Listen to your aching knees. You'll be back.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I understanfd exactly where you are! I have been dealing with this bad knee pain that has kept me from running for aabout week and a half now and it makes me feel like crap and brings alot of frustration to know that I cannot runn 7 miles today.

I am currently feeling the whole "giving up on my self" statement, but we have to also remember that it doesn't happen over night but that it takes a life style and poor constant habits that get us to that unhappy "fat" place!
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. If I don't get at least 4 miles in after work or swim at least an hour at a good pace I feel like I've failed and that I'll wake up a blimp. On days off I freak and end up in a bad mood, even if it was a planned day off.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I can really relate. I enjoy the feeling of pushing myself farther and harder than I thought I could. If I don't run, I feel as though I failed myself on some level. I generally take one day off a week from running, and even then it is difficult not to get out there.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    Don't beat your body up too often. Stop when it hurts. Give your body time to recuperate. Recovery is key to progress. Tossing it up will give your body time to grow and prevent it from getting use to your routine.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I didn't run yesterday and I was up a pound today :(
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    I always feel like if I don't want to pass out after a workout, I'm not trying hard enough.... I think it's a mind set we get from those first workouts that feel like hell but make us loose weight fast, and now the workouts hurt less so we don't feel like we are working hard. If that makes any sense.
  • Drewso
    Drewso Posts: 16
    Options
    Glad Im not the only one! I will be switching up cardio routines here and not doing any weighted leg workouts for a while then. Its so hard not to go out when its sunny and warm outside now. All winter I pounded the treadmill thinking of spring and summer and now Im taking a week or 2 off (hopefully thats all) so my body can recoop. I have upped my calorie intake to 3400 per day. Lots of carbs for being so active. Thanks to everyone for responses. Its good to see so many have the same kinda problem and it helps me to relax to know im not the only one.
  • AliCat2705
    AliCat2705 Posts: 22
    Options
    Glad Im not the only one! I will be switching up cardio routines here and not doing any weighted leg workouts for a while then. Its so hard not to go out when its sunny and warm outside now. All winter I pounded the treadmill thinking of spring and summer and now Im taking a week or 2 off (hopefully thats all) so my body can recoop. I have upped my calorie intake to 3400 per day. Lots of carbs for being so active. Thanks to everyone for responses. Its good to see so many have the same kinda problem and it helps me to relax to know im not the only one.

if I could eat 3400 calories a day I would be in heaven! haha