has anyone lost a significant amount of weight using the elliptical trainer?

Options
2»

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The elliptical was my weapon of choice during my weight loss process. I had a reasonable calorie goal and used the elliptical to create significant deficits.
  • Becky_LaBelle
    Becky_LaBelle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used an elliptical to help me lose my 1st 50 pounds or so but it was mostly diet. I had an awful MCL sprain so I was limited to low impact exercises. I've discovered some HIIT rountines on the elliptical that help me burn more calories but the main way I've lost weight is a clean diet and giving myself a free meal every now again so I don't feel deprived. Once I felt better, then I started to lift weights and do more activities.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Not on it's own

I've lost a significant amount of weight eating at a calorie defecit

and I've used the elliptical to increase my cardio fitness

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. While it helps to create a calorie deficit, your diet is more important for weight loss than whatever exercise you do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mayawalz wrote: »
    thanks everyone! so much great advice on here. i'm trying my best with the calories but i've gone overboard everyday so far :(, but since i'm only starting i guess its expected, i can adjust accordingly once i know what the culprits are (carbs!!).

I took me a while to figure out how to eat within my calorie goal. There were alotttt of habit that needed to change. Keep working at it, you are heading in the right direction!

• bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    20lb so far and I mostly do eliptical. Sometimes a bit of walking/treadmill/bike/weights but mostly treadmill.

In my mind anything that has you moving is going to help. Dance around the front room, walk to the shop rather than take the car if you can (not for like a weekly shop, that'd be daft for many)...and anything is better than nothing.Only felt like 10 minutes...least you did 10 minutes.

Do beware. I use Map My Walk and MFP and I can apparently burn 1000cals on a busy day at work...yeah, right! I don't actually eat back exercise calories per se...I aim for a weekly average of about 1350 ...the exercise cals are there for weekend can't be arsed to weigh everything, forgot the odd nibble, I'm eating out and have to guess...seems to work for me!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its ok, but burning calories using your cardio machine of choice is very dependent on current weight, duration,intensity and consistency. You have to do a lot of cardio to burn weight but if you keep consistent then it all adds up.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not on it's own

+1
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have 5 young children and started trying to lose weight when my youngest was around 6 months old. I tried to eat right and danced and did exercise videos at home. I lost 60lbs so it can be done as long as you stay disciplined.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. A suggestion for cutting back on calories - log your food before you eat. That will be eye-opening! Also, it is really helpful to get a food scale to accurately measure what you are eating (if you are not already using one). That will also be an eye opener. I find it much much easier to eat within my calorie goal if I plan ahead what I am going to eat. For instance, we are going out for dinner tonight and I know I will have at least one cocktail. I have entered two already plus I have decided what I will have while there. That typically (not 100% fool-proof, of course!) keeps me from making a split second decision when I get there and eating more than I intended.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Not on it's own

This. I've lost a significant amount of weight because I faithfully weigh, measure and log my food daily. I've increased my cardio fitness by using the elliptical on a regular basis. The elliptical is actually my favorite cardio machine and I use it pretty regularly, but that isn't the reason I've lost weight. Weight loss starts and ends in the kitchen.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is due to a calorie deficit. You can either eat less than you use in a day. And/or use exercise to create and increase your deficit. Anything that gets your heart rate up and burns calories can be used as exercise to help lose weight.
  • klsynosch
    klsynosch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    dieting(calorie deficit); elliptical trainer for cardio; walking for extra movement - all combined yes 60+ lbs
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical, best thing I ever did was buy one to have at home. I can choose my own intensity level and I use it as time for me, 30 minutes on the elliptical with a good book is worth it's weight in gold for me. Go forwards, go backwards, low resistence with speed or slow it down and bump up the resistence and you might just fall in love with the results.
    I lost weight with a combo of healthy diet and regular movement. I would suggest finding several things to do not just the elliptical. The hula hoop is great for core muscles, yoga, calesthenics are all things easily done at home.

Whatever you choose to do I would advise you to take measurements, you'll see those change faster than the weight on the scale many times.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is gonna come from the kitchen, not the gym.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    The elliptical was my weapon of choice during my weight loss process. I had a reasonable calorie goal and used the elliptical to create significant deficits.

ditto.
    direct answer to OP question with direct results.
    use cardio to create a bigger deficit has also been a winning formula for me too.
    good luck OP.

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical. I use it almost daily as a part of the overall health goal. As mentioned by others, exercise alone won't make you lose weight unless it's part of a calorie deficit program. But what it does do, feeds your energy levels improves blood flow and I'm a firm believer that it battles the blues.