When to eat...before or after a workout?

Options
I have heard both lines of thoughts regarding when to work out and I was wondering if anyone out there could validate one or the other?

1) Eating after a workout is better because it raises your metabolism allowing your body to process what you will eat much more efficiently.

or

2) Eating 30-60 minutes before your workout is better because it allows your body to burn the calories you have just consumed.

Any ideas which thought is more accurate???

Thank you :)

Replies

• funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I mean I HAVE to eat before my workout or I'll pass out haha
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that with a lot of people, it's all about preference. I don't have the energy to workout on an empty stomach so I always eat about an hour before hand. I will also get a quick snack afterwards to keep the metabolism going. But I know some people who absolutely can not eat anything before working out. I just need the energy .... and coffee is a must as well! LOL I'll be interested to hear the results of this poll.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    I eat before to start my metabolism and give me calories to burn and I eat after so my body can repair. So I say eat before and after, but I'm no expert, just trying to be helpful.
  • mandy935
    mandy935 Posts: 6
    Options
    good question, I am eager to read what people have to say on this as well. Also, I have heard different opinions on the best time of day to workout: morning, afternoon, or early evening.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The post workout meal is not meant to do anything with metabolism, it is meant to replenish you muscles with glycogen and provide protein for repairing any damage. It is generally a smaller meal 200-300 or so calories that is high in protein and includes some simple sugars as well. You want it to digest quickly. Many people point to chocolate milk (the stuff with sugar added) as the perfect post workout drink. I don't know about that, I make a protein shake usually.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Its a personal preference. When I work out in the morning I tend to eat something small, piece of toast or banana, before working out. My workouts are intense so I think I would pass out if I didn't eat something. If I work out in the afternoon sometimes I eat a little something before (fruit or fiber one 90 calorie bar) but other times I eat something right after. I really just go by how hungry I feel. I don't think there is a benefit to either one. They do say that working out in the morning though burns more calories through the day. =)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think it's all in preference. For some it works to eat before & for some after. Have you tried both to see what works for you? I don't eat before a workout, and after I may drink some chocolate milk, but usually won't eat until about an hour or so afterwards. That's what works for me.
  • tlovio
    tlovio Posts: 3
    Options
    I like to eat my carbs 1 hour before a workout and try to eat protein after. You are able to burn the carbs and get energy from it and then later you are just eating protein so your metabalism is still burning calories. I always have to eat 300 calories if I know that I am working out more than 45 minutes. If its 30 minutes or less eat about 150 calories. You need the fuel to burn.
  • cmpettit
    cmpettit Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow... that actually makes a lot of sense... Thank you!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you're doing strength training, I would eat an hour or so before your workout and immediately after. If you're doing a cardio workout, it's recommended not to eat for an hour afterward.
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise on an empty stomach so if it's been a few hours since I've eaten then I'll have a snack. Today I had a banana and a hard boiled egg beore working out. I'm usually not hungry for a couple of hours after working out so I just eat a 100 calorie pack of almonds.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the morning I would eat light and wait for an hour to an hour and half. Ifs its first thing in the morning a yogurt maybe. If I wait until later that day, its no. I eat after. Eating on full stomach makes it harder to give it your best.
  • RippaRita54
    RippaRita54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie regardless of whe you eat it! I would suggest whatever you are more comfortable with. I personally couldnt eat before a workout, couldnt hangle all that food bouncing around as i run however am usually starving within 30 minutes of finishing a workout, just have to be careful to make sure i have something low calorie prepared or i may be tempted to binge on anything i can get my hands on and undo all my good work!
  • kgaston1980
    kgaston1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggest eating both before and after a work out. Usually before my morning work out I'll have a planters daybreak nut mix or energy mix. I may also do a banana, yogart, or a kashi bar. Consider also a light smoothie with a little fruit, yogart and granola. It's just something small to give you a boost of energy so you can give your all to your work out. After my morning work out I usually do a couple slices of turkey bacon and wheat toast or raisin bran. If it's an evening work out I have a grilled chicken salad or tuna. Occassionally I've also had a salmon burger. I look it at like the before work out snack and the after work out meal. You are working your body hard so food is your fuel. I find that when I eat consistantly I maintain my energy through the day and usually have excellent work outs. I hope this helps.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I eat something (snack size) with a bit higher carbs about an hour before (also because I train at 9 am or 7pm - so it is a looong time since my last meal) and then a protein shake right after - and dinner about 45 minutes later.....
  • pinklion721
    pinklion721 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't know how true this is but I have read and been told not to eat before working out because your body will have to burn through that food before burning through your fat. I personally think this makes sense.

I usually eat a piece of bread before hand bc I wont be able to get through my morning workout feeling hungry then I eat my breakfast after the workout.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I eat the same as I would if I wasn't working out, the only difference is that I drik a protien drink right after my workout
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    UUmm, both?

If I'm working out I'll eat around an hour before, something nutritionally sound - some almonds, or natural yoghurt. Raisins are great for instant energy, but really high in sugar.

Afterwards - if it's been a strength workout, chocolate milk within 30 mins. Any other evening workout - tin of tuna stirred into a handful of cooked whole wheat pasta.
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think its more personal preference than anything.

I have a very light snack (100-200 calories) about 30-45 minutes before I work out to stave off any hunger. I'll often workout as soon as I get home from work because I find that working out generally squashes my appetite (although I will confess I think a lot of my hunger is mental rather than physical hunger as I eat 5-6 times a day).

On the weekends I exercise soon after I get up (otherwise procrastination might set in) and I often dont eat before I head out for an hour or so.
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BOTH! Carbs before to give you energy and protein afterward to rebuild you muscles.