Any Vegans Here?

Options
My fiance and I are discussing the option of becoming vegan. I could go cold turkey and go vegan today (I had been vegetarian for a few years back), but my fiance is pretty much a caveman and loves his meat. After watching some videos and starting to do our own research, we took a step back and started to reevaluate our food choices.

Anyways, I was seeking out some tips or tricks on how to successfully transition. Anything would be helpful. (:

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Okay, so...I should mention I'm not a vega. >_< But from the many friends I have who are vegetarian or vegan, successful and failed, this is my advice.

1. Go slow by introducing more vegan dishes into the regular meal plan, and slowly wean off the animal product ones. That way, when you do try going fully vegan, you'll have a list of recipes you know you LIKE. This would be probably more important for your fiancé's success than yours, but it's advice from a nutritionist for me when I had to change my diet significantly for medical reasons.

2. Pay attention to nutrients. Just make sure to look out for potential issues with protein or certain nutrient sources that might change, like iron.

3. Pay attention to how each of you feel. And this one? A biggie, because the sad fact is that some people quite literally cannot be a vegan and stay healthy. Just one example of this: most vegan sources of calcium are from foods that have higher levels of oxalates. These interfere with the absorption of calcium rather significantly. Fortunately, there is a gut bacteria that preferentially eats oxalates, which means that the oxalates are used up, and the calcium can be absorbed well from the vegan sources.

However, some people don't have high levels of this gut bacteria, especially if they haven't been eating the type of food to support this (it's not one you can get through pre-made probiotics, at the moment, although one company is working on it). Some may not even have it at all, if they don't have a healthy gut. For these folks, they literally cannot get enough calcium without animal sources because the oxalates interfere too much (recent studies have shown that calcium from these sources is much less than previously thought, due to this issue). These folks can't safely be vegans.

There are some folks who don't seem to absorb other nutrients as well if it's not from animal sources, like iron, although the best I've heard is that their iron levels keep dropping, even if the doctors can't see why it would happen. I've seen no research on it, to date, just individual experiences.

So you want to make sure to pay attention to how you're both feeling, that you're feeling healthy and well and good on the diet, you know? Both now, and in the future if it's going well and might suddenly have trouble.

Otherwise...I would recommend checking out cashew cream, if you haven't, as this is particularly awesome. Cashew cream based cheesecake and cream of mushroom soup - really tasty.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    . . . the sad fact is that some people quite literally cannot be a vegan and stay healthy. Just one example of this: most vegan sources of calcium are from foods that have higher levels of oxalates. These interfere with the absorption of calcium rather significantly. Fortunately, there is a gut bacteria that preferentially eats oxalates, which means that the oxalates are used up, and the calcium can be absorbed well from the vegan sources.

However, some people don't have high levels of this gut bacteria, especially if they haven't been eating the type of food to support this (it's not one you can get through pre-made probiotics, at the moment, although one company is working on it). Some may not even have it at all, if they don't have a healthy gut. For these folks, they literally cannot get enough calcium without animal sources because the oxalates interfere too much (recent studies have shown that calcium from these sources is much less than previously thought, due to this issue). These folks can't safely be vegans.

There are some folks who don't seem to absorb other nutrients as well if it's not from animal sources, like iron, although the best I've heard is that their iron levels keep dropping, even if the doctors can't see why it would happen. I've seen no research on it, to date, just individual experiences.

I know you mention that you don't have research for your claims about iron, but do you have resources for any of this?

OP, I recommend reading Vegan for Life by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. It's a great book with a collection of actual verified recommendations (based on research, not anecdotes) by two registered dietitians. I have been vegan for eight years. I chose not to transition, but to go from omnivore to vegan overnight. I know successful vegans who transitioned gradually and those who did as I did. The best one to choose is the one that you think will work best for you personally.

I recommend you read the book I mentioned above and learn to turn a critical eye to personal anecdotes. If you haven't already, pick up a vegan cookbook or two. Isa Chandra Moskowitz is an amazing author with a wide range of books. Her "Appetite for Reduction" is a book focused on easily prepared recipes for people looking to lose weight (or maintain), but she has many other excellent ones as well. Vegan Supermarket by Donna Klein is another great author -- her book Supermarket Vegan is based on recipes that can be made from foods commonly found in regular grocery stores.

The first few months (when you're learning new recipes, having to read labels on EVERYTHING, and explaining your choice to people in your life) can be the most difficult, but it gets much, much, much easier after that. It is now virtually automatic for me -- I know what I want to buy in the grocery store, I know what I want to order when I eat out, and I know how to navigate social situations.

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it.
  • zestyzesty
    zestyzesty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey. Thinking about your diet full stop is a good step as these days in busy modern life it is too easy to just eat whatever happens to be around when you're on the hop from one thing to another.

I've been vegetarian from birth, and I'm now trying out veganism for the 2nd time. I would say that veganism is a lot easier than it used to be but it still requires plenty of planning. Veggies and vegans need to pay special attention to iron and vitamins B12 and D and calcium. Oatmeal is a great food to eat lots of as it contains lots of vitamins, including iron and is also great for your heart. You can get a lot too from fortified cereals, especially iron and B12. Tofu, soy milks and yoghurts, chickpeas and other beans contain calcium. Vit D you can get from sunlight or fortified foods, or take a supplement if need be.

I hope you find a diet that works for you and your partner. Good luck :)
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm vegan, for over a year now. I used to take iron pills, because I had horrible blood results after feeling really crappy and going to the doctor. My latest bloodwork shows no more lack of iron, even though I stopped taking the iron pills for months. I feel really good, but take a A-Z vitamin (no iron included) pill every morning (Habit I built over the years). Make sure you eat lot's of "green" veggies and beans to get your protein, calcium and iron. I will probably have a big bowl of steamed Broccoli with Tofu tonight to get my protein dose and reach calcium levels :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Just remember if you don't feel good after going vegan, it just means your not doing it right, I think there's a documentary on it.
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and so is my husband (after I went vegan he followed a few weeks later). Check out websites like happy herbivore and post punk kitchen for great recipes. It is so easy to be vegan now. Almond Breeze milks, coconut yogurts, Chao vegan cheese by Field Roast, So Delicious Almond Milk ice creams, Tofutti Better than Sour Cream, tempeh, coconut bacon, tofu, grains, beans, lentils and not to mention good old fruits and veggies are all awesome! My only regret is not going vegan sooner.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    jeneticir wrote: »
    I am vegan and so is my husband (after I went vegan he followed a few weeks later). Check out websites like happy herbivore and post punk kitchen for great recipes. It is so easy to be vegan now. Almond Breeze milks, coconut yogurts, Chao vegan cheese by Field Roast, So Delicious Almond Milk ice creams, Tofutti Better than Sour Cream, tempeh, coconut bacon, tofu, grains, beans, lentils and not to mention good old fruits and veggies are all awesome! My only regret is not going vegan sooner.
    Do you think coming from say a culture that is use to highly processed foods like NA would make it easier considering most of your choices were just that, then say someone who has little experience consuming processed foods. Personally this is what makes me believe that it's a false premise that vegan is somehow healthier, and I say that because many of the vegans I know say that it's not easy to thrive being vegan and an instruction manual would benefit many. Maybe it's more of an Urban thing where convenience and exposure to that culture is taken for granted or even thought of to begin with considering all cultures of the big ol world. Serious question.

• jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I listed the processed foods to make it easier to help her and her fiance transition. Most people in the USA eat meat and cheese at each meal and they usually want to retain those flavors and textures at first. Over time those foods make nice treats for my family, but we usually make our own meals with vegetables, grains, beans, fruits, and spices. I live near many vegan restaurants (including raw vegan restaurants) which is nice if we want to go out. I know I feel healthier and have not been sick once since going vegan- the only supplement I take is B12. My husband travels for his job around the world and has no problem eating vegan no matter where he ends up on the globe, even the airlines offer vegan meals now.
  • JordanLomb
    JordanLomb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "30 day Vegan Challenge" is a good book to check out, and http://veganhealth.org/ is a great resource for any health questions about a vegan diet.
    Ever since I started logging in my food I was shocked at the amount of nuitrients I was getting from food alone and somedays not even with fortified foods or any vitamins. I'm a cheap college student who regulary works out and I've been doing just fine.
  • darkbluex3
    darkbluex3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm now a vegetarian, but I was vegan for about a year, and I'm trying to transition back to mostly vegan. I ate all meat except for pork, and then I decided to go cold turkey vegetarian, then 1 month later I went full vegan. Honestly, going cold turkey was the easiest for me. I tried to transition slowly back to vegan last year, but it was much harder for me.

Finding great vegan products makes things a lot easier! I love Follow Your Heart mozzarella, along with Gardein's fake meat products. Sweet Earth also makes amazing veggie burgers, if you can find their products near you. I got Chef Chloe Coscarelli's book "Chloe's Kitchen", and the recipes in there are amazing and fairly easy. My mom went vegan with me, and we cooked a lot from that book. Soups are great and easy to whip up in batches, and we would take leftovers for lunch a lot. Rice and quinoa are also easy to cook in bulk and store in the fridge, and you can just reheat and add whatever you like.
  • jwainio1
    Options
    I've been vegan for over a year and a half. I absolutely love my choice and will never eat animal products ever again. My biggest piece of advice: Do your research! Get books from the library and learn about nutrition. A great book to get started: "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis.
  • jwainio1
    Options
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    I will probably have a big bowl of steamed Broccoli with Tofu tonight to get my protein dose and reach calcium levels :)
    I have steamed broccoli and baked tofu all the time! So glad to see fellow vegans on MFP!
  • ashes1017
    ashes1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me personally it was easier to go cold turkey. I was vegetarian for almost 5 years and was vegan on and off in between I'm back to being vegan and I love it. It is definitely a challenge some days especially where I live there aren't a lot of vegan options if I chose to dine out. I'm hoping to transition my husband one day! I've already transitioned him to drink coconut milk rather than dairy.

Being vegan does take a but if knowledge and reading EVERY label if you buy something at the grocery store. However, I feel wonderful and am I glad I made the switch!
  • kaylaahoffman95
    Options
    I've been vegan for about a year and it's just been so difficult for me i feel terrible lol. I guess it all depends on your body and what vegan foods you decide to eat. If you just eat vegan donuts and cakes it's not going to go well lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about a year and it's just been so difficult for me i feel terrible lol. I guess it all depends on your body and what vegan foods you decide to eat. If you just eat vegan donuts and cakes it's not going to go well lol.

What type of problems are you having?

• NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went total vegetarian about 3 months ago. Was a nutritional decision, not ethical, so really not a "vegan". Diet is the same though... Also mostly avoiding anything processed (except for Sriracha). No transition, went cold veggie. :#

I love The Vegan Zombie on Youtube, and if you don't mind some colorful language my favorite cookbook so far is Thug Kitchen. Well a lot of colorful language... Have fun with it!