Squat Question

Options
TheVirgoddess
TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I did a bunch of (goblet) squats yesterday, and today I'm super sore - but only my legs (thighs to be exact).

I know soreness isn't an indicator of a good workout, but I did want to know if lack of soreness in my butt area was an indicator of bad form?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily bad form. Different squats target different muscles. Also, it took me a really long time to actually activate my glutes while squatting, it really is not as easy as some would like to think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. I would assume that if your glutes aren't sore like your legs, then there may an issue with form, but couldn't confirm that without seeing you actually squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sunnydee123
    sunnydee123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have gotten in the habit of consciously squeezing my butt at the top of every squat, which in essence is also tightening the quads and forcing your hips forward a little. Best way I can describe it. Just really think about the flow of the squat -- makes a difference for me. Good luck!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I guess it would have helped to share the type of squat :)

It's the goblet squat.

I'll work on actively engaging my bum tomorrow, thanks.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Also, it took me a really long time to actually activate my glutes while squatting, it really is not as easy as some would like to think.

This is my first thought, as well. Completing a lift is relatively easy. Getting the most out of it by engaging all appropriate muscles is harder.

Also, squats will generally put more strain on the quads than on the glutes. Glutes are a secondary muscle group with the lift, so the stress won't be as great (generally speaking). Soreness in your quads but not your glutes doesn't necessarily indicate anything. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats are fantastic! My suggestion would be to pause for a 1/2 second at the bottom, and using your mind/muscle connection focus on squeezing your glutes together to push your self up out of the squat.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve always found that squats tend to work the quads more than the glutes. I get good work on glutes from deadlifts.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. I would assume that if your glutes aren't sore like your legs, then there may an issue with form, but couldn't confirm that without seeing you actually squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Agreed with Niner. Here's the thing... in the concentric motion of the squat, be it Front, Back, Goblet, you glutes should have the highest activation during the concentric movement. Many HRM studies have confirmed that the muscles with peak activation during the concentric are Glutes, Calves, Quads (in that order). If you're not activating your glutes it could be...

1. Form, not sitting back into the squat
    2. Tightness in hips, hamstrings, piriformis, low back preventing you from proper movement.
    3. Underdeveloped Glutes, Hamstrings, Quadratus Lumborum
    *general possibilities, would need to see you actually squat to say what's-what

Basically when you squat down you should sit back so your hamstrings and glutes are managing the load, your quads will also provide some resistance but quads should not be managing the descent. On the ascent, the quads should fire to push you out of the hole but your glutes & hips should take over and then your calves get some good activation towards the end.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I'll get a video tomorrow so you guys can tell me where I can improve - if you're willing?

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I'll get a video tomorrow so you guys can tell me where I can improve - if you're willing?

If you get some body to video you, get a frontal shot that includes your feet and a side shot, so 2 videos.

• tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It can depend on your body's physics. Depending on the length of your thighs, calves, torso, etc, can change the way you feel squats. Regardless of what you actively engage. For instance, I never feel sore in my quads, I can tell they are working and they are tired, I just don't get sore. However, my bum is another story. On the other hand, my roommate feels it all in her quads.

However, it never hurts to reassess form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

If you get some body to video you, get a frontal shot that includes your feet and a side shot, so 2 videos.

Okay, will do.

Thanks so much everyone - I really appreciate all the responses :)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I also do primarily goblet squats as we the SelectTech dumbbells. Those suckers are cumbersome to keep on your shoulders. I find it difficult to sit back while still managing the weight in the front. (I've debated adding weight/balancing myself out with a backpack full of textbooks... ?)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It's the goblet squat.

I agree that glute activation is more difficult that you would expect. Bret Contreras has a huge intro on it in his strong curves program. He recommends some pretty basic BW exercises daily to help the glutes learn to activate (such as glute bridges, leg raises, etc), and then actively think about the glutes and try to feel them contracting and driving during the bigger compound lifts.

I end up thinking about my butt a lot...
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I've found plie squats engage my glutes much more.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

It's the goblet squat.

I agree that glute activation is more difficult that you would expect. Bret Contreras has a huge intro on it in his strong curves program. He recommends some pretty basic BW exercises daily to help the glutes learn to activate (such as glute bridges, leg raises, etc), and then actively think about the glutes and try to feel them contracting and driving during the bigger compound lifts.

Haha. Yes, this.

I love goblet squats. But I do have to focus on feeling my glutes in order to, well, feel my glutes. I like squats mostly for the benefit to my quads (not that I don't enjoy the glute benefits) and then for glutes it's hip thrusts and glute bridges.

• clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

It's the goblet squat.

Haha. Yes, this.

I love goblet squats. But I do have to focus on feeling my glutes in order to, well, feel my glutes. I like squats mostly for the benefit to my quads (not that I don't enjoy the glute benefits) and then for glutes it's hip thrusts and glute bridges.

yes yes yes!! I started doing hip thrusts because from what I have heard it is the easiest move to really feel your glutes working. Once they were just a touch sore it was easier for me to really engage them in other moves like the squat. you really need to think about the move and where you want it to work and make it happen, some people can not just squat mindlessly to really work the booty
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    clyn27 wrote: »

yes yes yes!! I started doing hip thrusts because from what I have heard it is the easiest move to really feel your glutes working.

After your warm-up and before you squat, do 1 or 2 sets of like 10 Hip / Glute Bridges. These do help get your hips and glutes activated and is great before you squat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    clyn27 wrote: »

yes yes yes!! I started doing hip thrusts because from what I have heard it is the easiest move to really feel your glutes working.

After your warm-up and before you squat, do 1 or 2 sets of like 10 Hip / Glute Bridges. These do help get your hips and glutes activated and is great before you squat.

Okay, will do.

Thanks again, everyone!
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just found out about a week ago that I have been doing squats incorrectly all my life. It was form because I wasn't sitting into the hip and was putting a lot of strain on my knees and also using my quads mostly. I have been working on the proper form everyday since then and it's definitely hard to break an old habit. But it's never too late :)