Coffee

Options
mulahhjessy
mulahhjessy Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I love my coffee but the way I make it practically takes up 1/4 of my calories for the day. Anyone else have a problem like this?
Also whoever wants a supportive friend on here feel free to add me(:

Replies

• tmumma88
    Options
    I hate to say it but sometimes you just have to compromise.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Yes. Use Truvia for sweetener (no aftertaste), make your coffee a little less strong, so that the creamer you use goes further. I drink 2 cups a day (100 cal total)
  • Koimr
    Koimr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to have my coffee religiously with cream and sweetener... but because I was just starting MFP I went one day just black and HATED it.

The very next day I put my regular cream and sweetener back and.. it was awful. Completely terrible.

Since then, my coffee has been black (and zero calories). And not only that but I find I have two cups before noon and that's it. Previously it was constant all day long.

So just grin and bear it.

My wife doesn't drink coffee but tea instead, I managed to get her off sweeteners as well.

Let me know how it goes. :)
  • Blisschick1
    Blisschick1 Posts: 14
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have the same issue, but I've managed a temporary compromise, with a goal of *possibly* one day drinking it black. CoffeeMate now makes a creamer called "Natural Bliss" that only has 35 calories per tablespoon. Since it's the sugar and cream already mixed, I don't add anything extra to my coffee. At the moment, I'm using 2 tablespoons to 8 oz. of coffee, and it's...okay. I limit myself to one cup.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Koimr wrote: »
    I used to have my coffee religiously with cream and sweetener... but because I was just starting MFP I went one day just black and HATED it.

The very next day I put my regular cream and sweetener back and.. it was awful. Completely terrible.

Since then, my coffee has been black (and zero calories). And not only that but I find I have two cups before noon and that's it. Previously it was constant all day long.

So just grin and bear it.

My wife doesn't drink coffee but tea instead, I managed to get her off sweeteners as well.

Let me know how it goes. :)

Yes. Exactly correct. You can appreciate the flavor better when it's black. You can also try different kinds of coffee to find what varieties you might like.

Don't be this person:
    ajHozCO.png?1
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I have at least two cups a day with 1tbsp of sweet creamer. It's only 35 calories a cup, and I prelog it, along with my nighttime tea, so I can always have them.
  • robagostinelli
    robagostinelli Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First try removing the cream. Black with sugar is still a good coffee. Then slowly get used to having less sugar or replace it with artificial sweetener. Stevia maybe.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I learned to drink it black. I now can't stand it with cream or sugar. I love it black. But it took me a couple of days to get used to it.
  • Emdjoker64
    Emdjoker64 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee! It's my happy juice lol. I use light creamers but normal sugar. I should cut back but it's really hard cuz I love it. It is my favorite part of the morning. I only have one cup in the morning The rest of the day I only drink water.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find black coffee easy to drink when it is iced. I find iced americanos to be especially tasty. I usually make myself an unsweetened soy latte though, for the protein and calcium. Sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon on it. The aroma helps. Once a week or so, I add sugar; but most of the time I don't even miss it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm having a horrible time because I'm trying to remove dairy to help with my IBS issues. The problem is, I always have a cup of coffee with just half and half and all the non-dairy creamers are sweet! My coffee today tasted like disappointment. If I don't find something that actually tastes good I'm probably going to end up going back to my half and half and people can just live with me. :disappointed:
  • RegentPrimrose
    Options
    Avoid having sugar or cream with your coffee. Milk is naturally sweet and after a while you will find you will not want any sugar with it. If you also want to avoid milk, just have black coffee - but make sure you have good quality coffee beans so you still enjoy the taste. Good luck.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with sugar free creamer, its only 30 cals for the creamer :)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in there that your coffee is nearly 300 calories? I use a ~tbsp. of sugar & Coffee Mate and that gets me close to 100, so I guess if you had more than one of those... Or are you getting specialty coffees from Starbucks everyday? Because if that's the case the money you'll save switching is just an added bonus.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    As much as I love EVERYTHING about coffee, i've all but given up on it. I started using pure caffeine powder (be VERY careful with the stuff if you want to try it) 1 serving in a 1L bottle of water every day. When I do have coffee, it's either my saturday latte treat from Dunk's, or if it's mid-week and I'm behaving myself, i just have 3 tsp sugar and some skim milk (blech). If I can't have my half&half, i'd mostly just rather go without.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's not like a super cheap option up front. But I switched a few years back to making lattes at home. A decent enough machine can be had for under $200. You also need to grind your coffee to espresso -- you should be able to do this in the grocery store, or go to a shop that sells nice coffee beans, or get yourself a cheap home grinder ($20 to $40 should suffice) and buy whatever beans you want. The machine takes some adjusting to use, too, so don't get discouraged if at first it isn't exactly how you envisioned.

ANYWAY. Foamed milk, even if you use whole milk, is fantastic at cutting bitterness and adding some sweetness. Figure out what your minimum level of your favourite sweetener is, start there, and reduce gradually over time. I'm down to none, so my coffee calories is basically just the milk now.

And for a treat, around the holidays, I mix in one of those mini candy canes (before the milk) -- they're like 15 cals so even if you want to do more, not so bad -- and have a candy cane latte. :)