Lap band

Options
Im 100 pounds overweight and after trying countless diets and diet pills I've decided to have lap band surgery. I've talked to a lot of people and read a lot. A year ago I was not mentally ready but am now. Surgery date is tentatively feb 23. On the pre-op diet now. Anxious and excited. Would love to talk with others doing the same for support and encouragement

Replies

• cinder_cat
    cinder_cat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just had my surgery a week ago, was feeling the same way a year ago but was talked out of it , so I decided to give my self the year to see what I could do on my own. I gained more weight on my own is what I did. It's been 3 weeks since I started pre-op diet and 1 week since surgery and I am down 21lbs. I was also about 100lbs overweight and hating myself for it. So here's to new beginnings! Good luck to you :-)
  • 01megar
    01megar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had gastric by pass done over 10 years ago, not same as lap band. I had a significant large weight loss, I lost a total of 100 lbs within 6 months, and after that it just got slow, with a total loss of over 250 lbs within 2 years. The only thing I recommend that I did not do is exercise while you're losing weight, its best to, otherwise saggy skin all over. I am on MFP now, I still watch what I eat, I am exercising now to tone up its slow but its ok. I have kept off my weight, I was super way up there wearing a tight XXX, and double D bra, I don't intend to ever ever be this big again. I have committed myself to exercise and I am actually enjoying myself, I love the way I am looking now and slowly seeing my muscles appearing, I wear a loose size 12. I feel sexy in my workout clothes, and I am thrilled I have kept all this weight off. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had lapband back in 2005 and lost about 85 lbs over the next couple of years. I have gained a lot of it back so that's why I'm here :) Good luck with your upcoming surgery! The band will definitely help with volume eating, but the weight will come back if you are not watching what you're eating. Beware of soft, high-calorie foods, and high-calorie drinks ;)
  • sue61802
    sue61802 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Your stories are inspirational and helpful. I'm on day 3 of pre op diet with surgery set for February 23. I'm excited and nervous and just pray I won't fail
  • jamie91203
    Options
    Prayers for a safe surgery. It's a lifestyle change to loose weight. I lost 110 lbs n six mnths on adepix from my dr. Gained around 30 back so Wrkin hard to get it back off without a prescription. It's more than a surgery or popping a pill. ...it's a lifestyle change. Best 9f luck!
  • sue61802
    Options
    Thanks so much! I've never heard of Adepix. Best of luck to you as well.
  • sue61802
    Options
    cinder_cat wrote: »
    Just had my surgery a week ago, was feeling the same way a year ago but was talked out of it , so I decided to give my self the year to see what I could do on my own. I gained more weight on my own is what I did. It's been 3 weeks since I started pre-op diet and 1 week since surgery and I am down 21lbs. I was also about 100lbs overweight and hating myself for it. So here's to new beginnings! Good luck to you :-)

• sue61802
    Options
    Let's stay in touch. I
    Very interested in how your doing. I live in lllinois how about you?
  • cinder_cat
    cinder_cat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alberta Canada . Im excited someone is doing this around the same time I am and who will be able to understand what I'm going through. I'll be 45 in March and hopefully that's where life will "begin again" I found the pre op diet harder than the post op diet so far. So that's something to look forward to for you hopefully. A week out and I'm not in any huge amounts of pain the port site pulls a bit but nothing crazy excruciating. I don't get a full for another 5 weeks so I'm curious if not a little nervous about that. Hit the treadmill for 30 minutes today and hated every second of it!! Kinda lethargic today so that might have been it. Other than that my husband is hoping you're a Blackhawks fan cause there's not many of us here in Canada that are lol . Maybe he needs to find his own support group! Keep up the good work it definitely is not the "easy way out" as I've been told.
  • sue61802
    Options
    I have done restrictive diets plenty but this pre-op is tough. I guess it's confusing for me because it says primarily liquid but then always vegetables and proteins. ?? I'm doing protein shakes breakfast and lunch and a diet meal for dinner. How much did you lose at pre-op and so far ?? What's your total loss goal! So glad to connect and yes the Blackhawks are awesome both of my grandsons play junior hockey
  • rskennedy46060
    Options
    I had my Band put in in February 12th and my husband had his put in on February 19th. Pre-op wasn't too bad but I only had protein shakes and liquids for a week prior to surgery. Still haven't had solid food yet. Puréed food starts tomorrow. I'm kind of excited to have something besides liquid. Hopefully it will help with the hunger I am now experiencing. It's not horrible but I didn't know I would feel hungry quite so early on.
  • sue61802
    Options
    My surgery was Monday. Tried eating some cream soup last night and over did it. Though I didn't get sick I sure didn't feel well. I've pretty much just had sugar free jello and pudding and hot tea. I'm still really achy especially in my back shoulders and chest. I guess it's from the anesthesia but it's uncomfortable just hope that's normal. I don't see the doctor until Tuesday at which time I should switch to puréed foods Hope you and your husband are progressing. Pretty cool to do it together !!! Good luck. Let's stay in touch
  • paulahope2
    Options
    As a nurse on a surgical ward.. I highly recommend you stick to the diet and plan your doctor told you to stick to.. Especially the vitamins (multi vitamin with iron, b12, calcium and vitamin d).. I've seen a lot of people not taking these supplement and it really takes its toll on the body! Wish you all the best with the surgery :)
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Also.. (Sorry if I'm annoying and repeating stuff you already know)! Low fat proteins, fruits, vegetables and whole grains are the way to go.. This one may sound silly.. But avoid straws and take small gulps of water :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you came out of surgery OK. The food will come. I called my new stomach my "six month old baby" and fed it new foods cautiously, to see what would sit well. If something didn't work, I gave it a try again in a few weeks. The achiness is from trapped air leftover from the laporascopic surgery. They blow your belly up for room. Walking helps get rid of the gas.

It is also gratifying to see all these success stories. I agree that exercise is so rewarding. I think even more so than weight loss, which becomes ever more a byproduct of living well.

I had bypass surgery this past June. If you haven't found it yet, here's a support group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • betterthanyesterday69
    Options
    I had the band back in 2011, I wouldnt wish that on anyone! I would never advise anyone to get that surgery
  • fwlady531
    Options
    In 1987 I had gastric bypass with a band not lapband. Then in September 2013 my band eat my stomach. Was bleeding internally. Had to have emergency surgery. Doctor did a reverse gastric sleeve. In hospital 23 days worn lots of antibodics and 5 blood transfusions. Lost more weight but now I have gained 10-15 pounds now trying to lose it. Need to total my proteins daily. Doc says I need 75 g of protein but also need to watch total of calories. This app is not doing it.
  • sue61802
    Options
    I'm following the diet strictly that the doctor gave me. Thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it.
  • sue61802
    Options
    I have set my goals different so it does keep track of what I need. But your right it is my calorie driven. I love the motivation and support of this app. Good luck.