Celiac changed the way I ate. And not for the better.

Options
I was diagnosed with celiac almost a year ago. It was a huge challenge to change every single thing in my diet. You would be surprised to see what all has gluten in it. I thought this would be great. I mean gluten is basically all the carb loaded foods right. Wel I was thinking this is going to be a great way to lose a few unwanted pounds. Well turns out most of the gluten free pre made products are loaded with all kinds of other things that are bad for you. And I have gained more weight so now i am cracking down and I am going to lose 50lbs. I am watching what I eat much closer, cooking from fresh, and exercising more. Any suggestions to keep me motivated are welcome. I could use some health conscious friends :)

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    My friend Cara Cruz runs this blog. She does love her junk food as much as anyone, so I'm not sure how she is with healthy gf cooking, but she, her son, and her dog have all been gf for years (the dog, I think, just to prevent cross-contamination). She must have some insight. http://whycantwheatbefriends.com/
  • tawnyamcgraw
    Options
    The best way to go gluten free is to avoid trying to replace breads and processed foods at all-- just drop them from your diet and try eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. If you want some great ideas there are many FANTASTIC recipes and cookbooks and even online ideas if you slip into gluten free/Vegan or Raw food ideas. I am not vegan but having their recipes to add to my life has been so delicious and was an exciting adventure for me. My favorite recipe of all time is to freeze 2 bananas and blend them with Canned Coconut Cream, throw it in a bowl and cover with whatever toppings you would put on icecream. It is so GOOD and has no sugar or dairy or wheat!! T~
  • LessisBestforMe
    LessisBestforMe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me, I gained over 65lbs when I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. all the GF foods added weight to me.
  • Raychel_P
    Raychel_P Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My little sister Annie is a gluten-free chef and blogger. I recommend you check out her blog, she posts tons of recipes that are easy to follow and healthy. I personally don't need to eat gluten-free, but she posts so many great vegetable recipes that I use them often just to have more veggies in my diet.

http://anniesglutenfreegrub.blogspot.com/