Question about Diet and Fairs

Options
So I need some advice. I want to go to a local fair but also want to stick to my healthy eating habits. as you know fair food is far from healthy. do you think I can get away with just eating a turkey leg? Or do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    Fair= 1day
    Healthy eating= 364 days
  • pawp11
    pawp11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fair= 1day
    Healthy eating= 364 days

I agree with this, but I get what you mean about wanting to stick to it. If you really do want to stick to it, my advice is to eat something before you go and drink a lot of water while walking around. Eat your turkey leg, but don't hate yourself if you have something else as well!

Oh, and try to log it all so you know how well you really did!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Turkey legs are a bad choice... up to 1200 calories! Seriously, they are one of the worst options calories-wise.

Personally, I try to eat before I go because it's typically not worth the calories, but there's always grilled chicken sandwiches.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Turkey legs are a bad choice... up to 1200 calories! Seriously, they are one of the worst options calories-wise.

Personally, I try to eat before I go because it's typically not worth the calories, but there's always grilled chicken sandwiches.
    Why chicken, why not a salad or a smoothy? Does it really have to be poultry, inquiring minds would like to know. j/k
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Why chicken, why not a salad or a smoothy? Does it really have to be poultry, inquiring minds would like to know. j/k

Well smoothies are evil for me, lol. I don't eat much fruit at all because it doesn't fill me up for the calories, and smoothies are often made with juice too (haven't had juice once in more than 2 years), so they are basically a sugar calorie bomb that won't fill me up at all.

Salads, well, they are often made of tasteless lettuce with a ton of high calorie toppings, and once you add the dressing, you end up with more calories than you think and it wasn't even good...

Although to be fair I don't remember seeing either at the fairs I've been to in the last couple years.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Well smoothies are evil for me, lol. I don't eat much fruit at all because it doesn't fill me up for the calories, and smoothies are often made with juice too (haven't had juice once in more than 2 years), so they are basically a sugar calorie bomb that won't fill me up at all.

Salads, well, they are often made of tasteless lettuce with a ton of high calorie toppings, and once you add the dressing, you end up with more calories than you think and it wasn't even good...

Although to be fair I don't remember seeing either at the fairs I've been to in the last couple years.

How could a salad with tons of "toppings" not be good especially with a tasty dressing......right, the calories. My point was the chicken sandwich as it pertains to a turkey leg from a fair is as far removed as a salad, unless you add turkey, but that adds more calories....just kidding around. My original point is, it's the fair, it's done infrequently, and comfort foods that people enjoy in a cultural setting are being targeted as evil and the evil for you are the calories, which makes absolutely no sense to me, and never will.
  • pawp11
    pawp11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I had no clue.

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat small portions. I went to a bazaar earlier this month and I ate everything I wanted, but only about half or a third of the portions I got. I brought the rest home and had it at another meal.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    How many calories in a funnel cake. Because I'm thinking OP should wrap the turkey leg in one of those. Eat it. Then get back to it the next day.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I question how accurate that giant turkey leg number is. If you Google it, every single website says the same thing: 1136 calories per leg.

Generally if everyone says the exact same thing it means that there's only one source and everyone is just repeating the same thing over and over until it becomes a "fact."

Edit: I kept digging... Disney says their theme park legs are 720 calories. Yeah, not really low-cal, but it's much more reassuring than 1136!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    screen.png
    To be fair, it's very filling and you could get away with eating half pretty easily. I ended up eating a whole leg at a festival the 21st alone with a cupcake and a diet coke. The event ended around 4 and I didn't consume anything else the entire day except a cup of coffee.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would say get something like an icecream cone. It's probably a splurge, everything at the fair will be! But you can eat relatively slowly and it's not terrible. Or if you really want to, you could bring your own food--sandwich, apple, whatever have you.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Fairs are meant for eating. If you're going with a group of people, why not split a few different items? That way you get a little taste of the fair. You'll probably still go over your calorie limit, but it won't be as devastating as eating whole servings of fair fare.

Also, if you've been on the healthy eating train for awhile, be prepared to run to the bathroom at a moments notice. My stomach cannot handle the fair food as it once could.
  • BeeLeanEatClean
    BeeLeanEatClean Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    screen.png
    To be fair, it's very filling and you could get away with eating half pretty easily. I ended up eating a whole leg at a festival the 21st alone with a cupcake and a diet coke. The event ended around 4 and I didn't consume anything else the entire day except a cup of coffee.

holy cow I had no idea! I just wanted to stay away from simple carbs. plus I have low blood sugar so I HAVE to eat every 3 hours
  • BeeLeanEatClean
    BeeLeanEatClean Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas everyone! I wish I could take my own food but unfortunately they do check your purse and any bags.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would just chalk it up to a "fun" day. Try to plan your other meals that day around what you may eat at the fair. In my past experience there are very few healthy options. Lets face it if I go to a fair I am chowing down on a funnel cake. HA