Healthy Habits

Options
Morning! I have started 2015 determined to change my unhealthy habits one step at a time! I started by quitting pop in January. 7 weeks free already and I'm ready to move to the next one but I'm kind of stuck.

What kind of healthy habits do you all incorporate into your healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 30 minutes everyday.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I take up a new physical hobby to learn. I'm currently learning bo staff, and I love it so much that I'm going to look for a dojo to learn martial arts. Archery and escrima sticks are going to be on my list for 2016.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a big one. I've added that in.

One of the habits/skills I am learning through MFP is portion control, and being aware of how many servings I'm actually eating at a time. Also, I'm working on not eating a treat just because it is offered or because my family is eating it. I have room in my diet for treats, but I want to be more intentional in choosing them when I want them, instead of eating just because everyone else is.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    well I never really do intentional exercise plans (too boring for me) but if I have the option to bus or walk, I'll always pick the walking option, and just wear headphones for music so it's more fun ^_^
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i don't restrict any foods and instead enjoy everything in moderation.
    restriction always set me up for failure.

i also pay more attention to measurements than scale weight. while the scale may not move much, bf% could be.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    drink more water. a simple estimate is take your body weight in lbs and divide by 2. this number is the number of ounces of water per day you should be drinking.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Struggling to actually do this, but more sleep. I am a chronic undersleeper, about 5.5 hours / night.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, so I'm always searching for new & healthier options on Pinterest, in cookbooks and all over the internet. I enjoy trying new foods, keeps it interesting!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    sdado1013 wrote: »
    drink more water. a simple estimate is take your body weight in lbs and divide by 2. this number is the number of ounces of water per day you should be drinking.

Let me see... 150lbs /2=75oz 75oz/8oz in a cup= 9 cups (approximately) of water a day. 9 cups/2cups in a glass= 4 1/2 glasses of water a day..... Yay! I get my daily water everyday and I didn't even know it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I try to get in a good 4-6 servings of vegetables and fruit daily. I eat a high fiber diet rich in whole grains. I eat a lot of lean protein. I get most of my fats from things like avocado, avocado, olive oil, and coconut oil; nuts (particularly almonds) and the like. I exercise regularly. I get some sleep.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Let me see... 150lbs /2=75oz 75oz/8oz in a cup= 9 cups (approximately) of water a day. 9 cups/2cups in a glass= 4 1/2 glasses of water a day..... Yay! I get my daily water everyday and I didn't even know it!

good job! keep it up
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I switched to making my breakfast and lunch everyday and taking it with me to work. Before, I was routinely getting fast food in the mornings and afternoons.

I also started walking at least 30min 4-5 days per week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Veggies - everyday. I have no problem getting fruit in, but my veggies are lacking unless I make it a point.

Exercise - most days. In the past I've quit exercise when I was "done" dieting and the weight came back....duh! It helps to find something you like to do. That will make you more consistent.

I'm trying to eat less processed foods. Not zero processed foods (I have a can of soda everyday) - just less.

Drinking water is great because it displaces other things. Water makes sure I don't scarf down things because I'm (actually) thirsty.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Portion control, more water, more physical activity, calorie/nutrition awareness, long term commitment to choices and trade offs without self denial or self recrimination.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    waking up at 4:45 to warm up my car to be at the gym by 5:15 to get in 30 minutes of cardio

using sundays as the day to cook my lunches (prepare) for the week
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Portion control, more water, more physical activity, calorie/nutrition awareness, long term commitment to choices and trade offs without self denial or self recrimination.

All of this.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    -I try to get at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables (more veggies than fruit) every day
    -make sure I drink enough water
    -avoid foods with added sugar
    -make sure I get adequate protein
    -try to get more fiber
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Myth. There's actually a very simple estimate. If you're thirsty, drink. If you aren't, don't. No math needed.
  • Knowing the difference between appetite and hunger. Eat when your stomach is hungry, not when your mouth is.
  • toledochic
    toledochic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I gave up pop too. It's really hard but it can be done.