CRAFT BEER LOVERS: How do you track beer calories?

Options

Replies

• christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    That chart is a great resource! Thank you so much for sharing. And I'm going to a beer fest at a local brewery this weekend too! It's all cask beer! Also, a beer and chocolate workshop sounds like actual heaven.

You're welcome. And yep, beer festivals are great!

My festival strategy is to pre-log and say, okay, I'm going to allow myself 20 tastings of 2oz each of an average of 7% ABV beer. That's 40oz or approximately 700 calories. I'll bank those calories and set them aside for the festival.

Then at the festival, I'll use a tasting glass with markings for the size of the pour, so I know how much of each beer I drink. I use an app called Untappd to log and rate the beers I taste. Untappd will give me a log I can refer to after the fact to see what I tasted and what the ABV was for each, and I can simply multiply out the calories to see how many actual beer calories I consumed, and log those.

I do a simplified version of the same thing if I go to a brewpub. Works for me.

And yep, craft beer + single-origin chocolate = deliciousness!

Very smart! Thank you so much for sharing and have fun at your festivals!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This is a brilliant resource for craft beer lovers. It allows you to quickly estimate the calories based on ABV:

cal-chart.jpg

beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

Speaking of which, I've got a brewery tasting event scheduled for this weekend, a beer and chocolate workshop next week, and of course a bunch of festivals this spring and summer.

Mmmm, craft beer...

Boo, the chart doesn't go up to 18%. It would have failed me last week. I use ratebeer or pick a similar beer with a higher calorie listing. I like erring on the side of caution.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You have to be a little careful with that chart as an Imperial Stout at 9% will have more calories than a Double IPA at 9%. But in general - yea calories in beer pretty much correlate directly to ABV
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't bother. I drink beer once a week. I will have several enough to get a buzz. LOL
    B)
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am an avid homebrewer and when I started using MFP I took some time to calculate the calories for each beer I make (20+ at the time)... it was eye opening to say the least.

The calculator that I used was this one - http://www.homebrewdad.com/beer_calorie_calculator.php

You can punch in the ABV into that field and make sure to put in volume of beer. Its going to give you a range since ABV doesn't paint the best picture for calorie count.

If that doesn't satisfy your need and you want a more solid number feel free to DM me and I can give you a far more cumbersome way to figure out your calories to a T.

Cheers
  • AnnaNutBread89
    AnnaNutBread89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work in the craft beer industry and have always been interested in ways to track the calories
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You have to be a little careful with that chart as an Imperial Stout at 9% will have more calories than a Double IPA at 9%. But in general - yea calories in beer pretty much correlate directly to ABV

Yeah, if you click on the link and read the preamble and mathematical formulas, it explains all that. The chart is a handy one if you drink a variety of different beers. It's more or less accurate to +-15% or so, but of course it's not perfect. If you drink a lot of heavy stouts or beers with high sugar content, you may want to err on the high side of this. I personally prefer pale ales, IPAs and dry, hoppy beers, so it's not much of an issue for me.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    I tend to pick a generic calorie count or a count for a similar style beer from a national brand. It isn't exact, but I'm not going to give up beer in the long run, so I need to get used to it now.

^^^ this is what I do
  • aeromunch
    aeromunch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The site ratebeer.com includes a "calories" listing for each beer (it's calculating a 12oz serving) but it is using the same formulas as the chart and the ABV/Calorie calculators above. For me I just google "ratebeer <beer name>" and use their calorie count for 12oz but it might be easier for others to use the table or ABV calculator websites.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Too many empty Cals
  • HopHead28
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yeah, if you click on the link and read the preamble and mathematical formulas, it explains all that. The chart is a handy one if you drink a variety of different beers. It's more or less accurate to +-15% or so, but of course it's not perfect. If you drink a lot of heavy stouts or beers with high sugar content, you may want to err on the high side of this. I personally prefer pale ales, IPAs and dry, hoppy beers, so it's not much of an issue for me.

This isn't necessarily true.
    The only thing beer is based around is sugar extraction. The way you get an imperial stout or an imperial IPA is the same... high sugar content fermenting to an alcohol content of over 7.5% ABV.
    Often times thicker bodied beers are made by steeping the grains at a higher heat. It's easy to make a heavy bodied IPA, pale ale, etc just by steeping the grains at a higher temperature. The higher temperature extracts more complex sugar chains that are not typically fermented by yeast.
    This doesn't mean that it correlates to higher calories. Either way the starting sugar content is not changing... the only thing changing is what can be fermented.

You may be surprised to find that your IIPA is going to be on par with an Imperial Stout of similar starting and finishing gravities.
  • segacs
    Options
    ^ Good point. It can be counter-intuitive sometimes.

I still think it's only ever going to be a rough estimate anyway, so I don't worry about it too much. Over time, if you drink a pretty good variety of different beers and use a rough formula like the one in the chart, it all comes out in the wash.
  • HopHead28
    Options
    Ill agree with that. I typically try to err on the side of the higher calorie range if I use the ABV calculator.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My husband and FIL are both homebrewers, I usually just ask them what it is kind of close too, and I just guess from there. However, some of the links/suggestions above look pretty good too!
  • glevinso
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    Too many empty Cals

This thread isn't for you.
  • christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Too many empty Cals

There's nothing empty about beer <3
  • glevinso
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Too many empty Cals

There's nothing empty about beer <3

Agreed!

Without beer I would probably waste away to nothingness. I NEED those calories!
  • williamgprice
    williamgprice Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Terrific thread....the chart is super helpful.

Lol at the estimates earlier on in the thread....300 calories for a pint of big stout
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    This is a brilliant resource for craft beer lovers. It allows you to quickly estimate the calories based on ABV:

cal-chart.jpg

beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

Speaking of which, I've got a brewery tasting event scheduled for this weekend, a beer and chocolate workshop next week, and of course a bunch of festivals this spring and summer.

Mmmm, craft beer...

Boo, the chart doesn't go up to 18%. It would have failed me last week. I use ratebeer or pick a similar beer with a higher calorie listing. I like erring on the side of caution.

It's a formula though - you can calculate it based on the pattern in the chart.
  • segacs
    Options
    And for all you beer drinkers around the globe:
    US pint = 473ml = 16oz
    Imperial pint = 568ml = 20oz

Don't underestimate those imperial pints ... you're only cheating yourself!