Exercising with bad back "What to do?"

Options
Sunhee123
Sunhee123 Posts: 22 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I really need to start exercising but afraid to do so with bad back. (Can't lift or jump much) What kind of light exercises can I do? I've started walking and riding stationary bike. Hoping to start exercising with a friend.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What is the cause of your bad back? Have you seen a doctor or chiropractor?
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My husband rides a recumbent bike and lifts. He has had surgery and can only lift certain ways but he can bench since he is on his back. He stays quite fit. He does other lifting but some of it is limited weight wise. He likely will need more surgery in the future.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would ask the doctor familiar with your back problems what exercises are safe.
  • karensuegill
    karensuegill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I have found for an injured back is Yoga. Many of the stretches and moves are the same ones prescribed by physical therapists for back issues. I've had back problems recently and I've been doing Yoga and the recumbent bike. You can even do the back exercises at home. Sometimes I do them first thing in the morning. Then as my back has felt better I have gone back to my low and light aerobics class with no bouncing. The Yoga has really helped!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Seconding yoga. And agree -- a lot of the exercises I was given were also yoga ones.

Definitely pay extra attention to proper form, and any signals your body sends you to stop or back off. Pay no attention to trainers at the front of the room or in a video telling you to go faster, not stop, do more -- go at the pace you feel is safe.

And yes, if you're willing to consult a professional, do so! Can never be too cautious with backs.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    You should really check with a doctor or physical therapist first. Having said that, you will need to start with strengthening your core. You can google core exercises, there are a lot of them. Once your other muscles, in particular hips, abs, glutes and hamstrings are stronger you can begin to add some weights.

I have 3 herniated discs in my back and began really focusing on exercise 17 months ago, now I'm doing DL's, bench press, squats, rows, OHP's, etc with significant weight for my age and physical condition, but it took awhile and a lot of hard work getting to this point.

So be careful, but know that if there is a will there's a way.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I third the yoga.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've worked with bad knees and asked lots of questions of my physiotherapist. Core is good, with care (care with twisting!). Low impact is good. I've even done Zumba low-impact style and saved myself from strain. Stretches and lifting while on your back can keep you from overstraining.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/easy-on-the-knees-731797

And walking is the best!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I fourth yoga.

And for cardio, I would think swimming is the best bet.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sunhee123 wrote: »
    I really need to start exercising but afraid to do so with bad back. (Can't lift or jump much) What kind of light exercises can I do? I've started walking and riding stationary bike. Hoping to start exercising with a friend.

What was your diagnosis and where are you at with recovery / rehab / PT? Released to exercise?
  • Sunhee123
    Options
    Back disc. Dr. Recommended surgery but don't want to. :((.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

You can always get a 2nd opinion. If you haven't gone to a Neurologist, go to one for the 2nd opinion.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a good personal trainer, one that has a background in sports rehabilitation and nutrition. They will assess your abilities and work with you to build strength without further injury. I have a permanently dislocated sacral joint/pelvis, have had three knee surgeries and have arthritis...at 46. But my PT has helped me strengthen my core, making my back and pelvis more stable plus strengthened the muscles around my joints. A good PT will be your best new friend.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have back problems too. I swim, run and bike as I feel up to it.

Yoga and Pilate's bother my back. I can not twist or bend but there is research suggesting that it helps. I invested in an inversion table which has been priceless.

Best thing to do is use your best judgment. I love the stability ball and core strength. If you haven't gone to physical therapy yet I'd recommend it. Its really helped me get to a mostly manageable pain level.
  • Sunhee123
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have back problems too. I swim, run and bike as I feel up to it.

Yoga and Pilate's bother my back. I can not twist or bend but there is research suggesting that it helps. I invested in an inversion table which has been priceless.

Best thing to do is use your best judgment. I love the stability ball and core strength. If you haven't gone to physical therapy yet I'd recommend it. Its really helped me get to a mostly manageable pain level.

Thank you!! Light exercises and riding stationary bike are working for me right now. (Very slow result!!) :((
  • Sunhee123
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

You can always get a 2nd opinion. If you haven't gone to a Neurologist, go to one for the 2nd opinion.

Trying my best not to do anything that will hurt my back, but as you know, it close to impossible.

Not giving up!! :))
  • Sunhee123
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    What is the cause of your bad back? Have you seen a doctor or chiropractor?

Car accident... Been to both!!
  • Sunhee123
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • Sunhee123
    Options

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Look up Chair Exercises and if theres something the instructor is doing that youre not able to, just modify it or change it up!