Nighttime munchies

Options
Any suggestions to stop snacking at night?? I can make healthy choices all day long and I allow myself some extra calories for a snack after dinner. I'm not truly hungry...I just have this overwhelming desire to snack at night and I always eat more than the calories I've "allowed" for the snack and I usually make unhealthy choices.

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Drink lots of water and keep yourself busy! If snacking at night is something you really just can't get past, then make room in your daily calorie allowance for it. Really, you just need to keep yourself accountable. If your snack is chips, for example, then weigh out the amount of chips you can have and put the bag away. Snacking from an open container will always lead to failure.
  • intrepie
    intrepie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Someone on here suggested to me giving yourself a manicure or pedicure at night. It's tough to snack with lotion on your hands or wet nails :smiley:
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. Evenings have always been my worst time because I see it as my treat once the kids are in bed and i can finally sit down. I just try to distract myself. Take a bubble bath, paint your nails, call a friend, last night I had my husband give me a foot massage lol. It's a hard habit to break but we'll get there eventually!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Same problem. Now I knit.
  • Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hobbies help as people above mentioned, keep busy. I also find brushing my teeth earlier will help prevent mindless eating.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I try to occupy myself more- reading in my room (where I wouldn't eat normally), or yoga. Less time watching netflix/ tv, or on the computer as those seem to be triggers to mindlessly stuff food into my mouth. Drinking herbal tea in the evening. And I don't buy the snacks I know I would just devour.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're truly not hungry, divert yourself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner shortly before going to bed. No time for muchies after.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups of fruit herbal tea to reduce late snacks. I still leave around 150-200 cals free for a late night snack and I keep from eating too much by drinking sweet, fruity tea which satisfies some of the sweet craving. Celestial Seasonings has a ton of these teas; I love the blueberry and wild berry ones. I buy several boxes at a time and drink 4-6 cups in a day!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    crunch ice.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups of fruit herbal tea to reduce late snacks. I still leave around 150-200 cals free for a late night snack and I keep from eating too much by drinking sweet, fruity tea which satisfies some of the sweet craving. Celestial Seasonings has a ton of these teas; I love the blueberry and wild berry ones. I buy several boxes at a time and drink 4-6 cups in a day!

Country Peach Passion and a tiny bit of stevia and I'm good to go.

• kayakgirl11
    kayakgirl11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try banana ice cream. Its my snack of choice, or at least it used to be. I'm starting yet again
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    TCO76 wrote: »

Country Peach Passion and a tiny bit of stevia and I'm good to go.

When I get the fruit tea sampler boxes, I actually give the peach ones away. Peach flavors tend to give me headaches :( However, my friends never complain when I'm handing out packets of tea bags!
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

[/quote]

When I get the fruit tea sampler boxes, I actually give the peach ones away. Peach flavors tend to give me headaches :( However, my friends never complain when I'm handing out packets of tea bags![/quote]

More for me. I do also like the blueberry and mixed berry as well.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I save most of my cals for the evening. Works for me.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner a little later.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the thoughts!

This is my worst time of day also.

I usually clock in more calories / carbs after dinner than all day before.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Keep busy (do something that occupies your hands), make room in your calories for it, or go to bed early. I usually do the latter. I'm starving right now, but I know I'll be in bed soon.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I have found, like someone else suggested, that eating a late dinner helps cut down on this. I usually eat dinner around 9, and go to bed around 10, 10:30 (I get up at 5, sigh), which doesn't leave me much time to snack. I also try to pre-plan my snacks for the evening. That lessens the chances that I am going to make poor choices; the choice has already been made, I just need to stick to it. The late dinner helps with this, as does staying busy and drinking tea, which seem to be pretty common techniques for people.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I usually eat a banana or have a shake usually casein protein it keeps you full and really fills you up so you don't feel hungry. Or I eat those veggie straw chips they are low cal for the amount you can eat for one serving