Help a paranoid girl out!

Options
I've been on this website for awhile, eating 1,200 calories a day and not eating back any exercise calories. I've lost 50 pounds so far, but I have become increasingly crabby and hungry. I plugged my numbers into an online calculator that suggests that I should be eating 1,400 calories to lose about a pound a week. I'm freaking out a bit that eating that extra 200 calories a day is going to mess my weight loss up. But I plan on eating that 1,400 and half my exercise calories back. I'm just looking for some reassurance for people who've gone through this already that I'm doing the right thing.

Replies

• dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    not sure what your stats are but i'm 5'3", started at 187.4 lbs, today i'm 183.4 lbs (started Jan. 19) and i eat 1560-1660 cals a day. 4 lbs in 5 weeks is good to me :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you've been eating at 1200 you might not lose anything for while after upping your calories by several hundred, you might even gain a bit. But then you'll probably start losing again.

If you don't want the weight loss to stop, you might want to up your calories by 100-200 for a week or so at a time until you get to where you want to be.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you are crabby and hungry, eat more! I recently had to start eating 75% of my exercise calories back because I was getting crabby and hungry (and burning 1000+ calories and exercise makes eating 50% back different than burning 400 calories in exercise).

Give it a few weeks of 1400 + exercise calories to really start gauging how it is working. You will probably be happier, yay....but let your body adjust and start losing. You will lose slower, but you will be happy. Happy = good. If after two solid months you aren't seeing what you like then adjust it!

Btw - 1200 net calories is the lowest recommended for women by most health care professionals.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My stats are 5'6", started at 235, and my CW is 184.6 :)

4 pounds in five weeks is awesome!!

And maybe I'll ease into the increase.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Options
    I know the 1,200 wasn't good...but the weight loss was so fast! It got addicting. Now I'm just trying to be happier/healthier while losing a little bit more.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    and you know what the best part of losing 4 lbs in 5 weeks is? i even had chocolate and ice cream every single day :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back the calories earned through exercise. I would definitely eat a portion of them, to fuel your workouts. This should alleviate your hunger and you'll still lose.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance for 4+ months - after losing ~50 pounds in 9.5 months.

Started eating 1400-1600/day - aiming for 1 pound per week. After about 6 months, I went to 1600-1800 and expected a slower loss to finish things out. Now eat 1800-2000 at maintenance.

I've been on this website for awhile, eating 1,200 calories a day and not eating back any exercise calories. I've lost 50 pounds so far, but I have become increasingly crabby and hungry. I plugged my numbers into an online calculator that suggests that I should be eating 1,400 calories to lose about a pound a week. I'm freaking out a bit that eating that extra 200 calories a day is going to mess my weight loss up. But I plan on eating that 1,400 and half my exercise calories back. I'm just looking for some reassurance for people who've gone through this already that I'm doing the right thing.

• Boobietrap1337
    Options
    and you know what the best part of losing 4 lbs in 5 weeks is? i even had chocolate and ice cream every single day :)

I always figure out a way to fit chocolate in :)