Energy dip due to low-carbish diet

Options
Hi Folks,
So, I am on a 40-30-30 carbs, protein, healthy fats plan that my dietitian recommended. I honestly really like it and think I feel healthier overall, have lost 11 pounds already, and feel so much less bloated and heavy it isn't even funny. HOWEVAH, even though I get 180 grams of carbs and what I think are enough calories and food, I feel tired and run down sometimes. I am also working out pretty much every day doing a pretty challenging and intense kundalini yoga workout on alternate days, and stretching and mild aerobics on the other days, so I am upping my overall activity level and have been for the past couple of weeks, but I log that in and eat the extra calories I earned, so that isn't the issue. I have a lot to lose, and I am very, very committed, so I don't want to mess with my plan. I have been having a couple of cups of coffee per day to help with this, but I don't want to become a caffeine fiend. Anyone else experience this energy dip? Have you gotten over it? How? Also, still new here and always looking for cool MFP friends, so feel free to add me :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I follow a similar ratio when I'm cutting...I don't think your energy dips are a result of too few carbs..180 grams should be plenty...I think it's because you're calorie restricted in general.

When you diet/cut, you aren't taking in enough energy for you to function optimally and while your fat stores make up for your lack of consumption, they are a rather crummy source of energy...it's like trying to run a sports car on *kitten* gas...you aren't going to perform optimally.

I lost about 40 Lbs a couple of years ago and went into maintenance about 1.5 years ago and was amazed at how much more energy I had eating a maintenance level of calories vs my cut calories. I recently did a 4 month bulk cycle and that was something else from a pure energy standpoint....I was pretty much blowing through every lifting plateau I had hit and still had more to give.

Personally, I think it's because your dieting in general. Calories are a unit of energy and you are cutting calories (energy)
  • aboldish22
    Options
    You're always going to have some sort of energy loss in a deficit. Calories are energy, so the less energy you put in your body the less energy you will have to spend. You should get use to it though after a couple weeks. It'll feel like nothing!!
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How are you doing with your H20???? That makes a big difference in energy to me
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That seems like enough carbs. What part of the day do you experience the dip?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How much of a calorie deficit are you on? How many lbs are you losing per week?
    If its only been a week or two, it may just be taking your body a little time to get used to the new routine.
    You said you are working out every day. Maybe try giving yourself a rest day every week, or at least a day where you do something light, like walking.
    If your deficit is really aggressive, you might need to ease off a little?
    And I agree with niecey61, sometimes mild dehydration can feel like hunger, sometimes it can feel like you need a nap :).
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I follow a similar ratio when I'm cutting...I don't think your energy dips are a result of too few carbs..180 grams should be plenty...I think it's because you're calorie restricted in general.

When you diet/cut, you aren't taking in enough energy for you to function optimally and while your fat stores make up for your lack of consumption, they are a rather crummy source of energy...it's like trying to run a sports car on *kitten* gas...you aren't going to perform optimally.

I lost about 40 Lbs a couple of years ago and went into maintenance about 1.5 years ago and was amazed at how much more energy I had eating a maintenance level of calories vs my cut calories. I recently did a 4 month bulk cycle and that was something else from a pure energy standpoint....I was pretty much blowing through every lifting plateau I had hit and still had more to give.

Personally, I think it's because your dieting in general. Calories are a unit of energy and you are cutting calories (energy)

I have to agree with the calorie cut being the issue and not the carbs. that is how it seems to play out for me.
  • SojournerYouth
    SojournerYouth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I have reduced calories before, and haven't been quite this tired, but I also haven't always been working out as regularly, so that is a difference. I am at a calorie deficit designed to lose 2 pounds per week, so nothing too crazy, and it was what my dietitican recommended. So yes, it probably is just my body adjusting to the calorie restriction!
  • SojournerYouth
    SojournerYouth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, I probably do need to hydrate more :)
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would not be afraid of caffeine when needed!