Getting lean without lifting... possible?

Is it possible to get lean without lifting heavy?

Why am i asking....

I had an accident 5 yrs ago, hurt my back. L3 & L4 damaged and protruding disc. Lost feeling in my right leg for a year. Neurologist advised NO Weight lifting, NO high impact exercise!!

My problem: I want to be lean AGAIN! I was always lean and toned. Always lifted heavy at the gym and was a strong little thing... i'm only 5'2"!

I'm currently trying to lose the excess fat i've gained, but worried I will end up "squishy" rather than toned..

Advice on getting toned with restrictions?.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Does your Neurologist even lift?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Talk to a physiotherapist about your goals and limitations as far as exercise is concerned.

Within those guidelines, stay as active as you can, prioritize protein, and reduce your calorie intake.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Swimming?
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    He should refer you to someone who can help you develop a plan for fitness within the constraints of your injury.
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    I've been completely discharged as I have not had any major flare ups in the last few years! So I don't see anyone anymore.

I have a full report which my own doctor has, however when I ask them for advice they never deliver any of substance. They fluff around the subject basically as they don't really care!

It's really frustrating!!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    That sounds like a big bummer, sorry to hear that. Adjusting macros can always help, more protein less carbs. I think everyone's body is unique so you gotta find what works for you. Swimming sounds like a great suggestion too. Can you do aerobic stuff?
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    i always understood that getting lean had more to do with what you eat and not so much with the lifting.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    If you want to add muscle, you'll have to use some sort of resistance. I'd say find a licensed physical therapist, bring your medical records and discuss. You'll be able to get lean-ER with just diet, but at some point, you'll need a way to add muscle.
  • Cazzy34
    If you want to add muscle, you'll have to use some sort of resistance. I'd say find a licensed physical therapist, bring your medical records and discuss. You'll be able to get lean-ER with just diet, but at some point, you'll need a way to add muscle.

Would light resistance be enough to create a lean look? My fear is that because I can't lift heavy I might not achieve that "toned" look!

I think I may try to find someone qualified that i can train with and within my boundaries.
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Cazzy34 wrote: »

Why am i asking....

I had an accident 5 yrs ago, hurt my back. L3 & L4 damaged and protruding disc. Lost feeling in my right leg for a year. Neurologist advised NO Weight lifting, NO high impact exercise!!

My problem: I want to be lean AGAIN! I was always lean and toned. Always lifted heavy at the gym and was a strong little thing... i'm only 5'2"!

I'm currently trying to lose the excess fat i've gained, but worried I will end up "squishy" rather than toned..

I live this. issues with everything below L3. happened when I was 19 and now I am; well much older. I also have issues in the neck as well. I am actually back in PMR.

Do you have a dropped foot? or just lost feeling? ( my left leg is done, and now starting to have the loss of feeling in the right foot ).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    i always understood that getting lean had more to do with what you eat and not so much with the lifting.

losing weight is more about what you eat...exercise and resistance training in particular is going to have a profound impact on your body composition. When people lose weight but don't work their muscle, they lose that muscle along with fat...they lose weight, but they also lose muscle and that is what the OP is afraid of.

OP...I would think you would be a perfect candidate for swimming. It's low impact and I know some swimmers that do very little actual lifting that have phenomenal physiques. It seems to be a pretty good cardio/resistance workout and might be right up your ally.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    i dont lift heavy but I am lean. I row a lot, run a bit, swim a bit, do kickboxing occasionally, some pushups, etc. However, working with a professional to start with is a good idea based on your limitations.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    You can actually achieve quite a bit with a lot of repetition without a lot of resistance. My legs are toned from just putting in a bunch of hours on a bicycle. They could be stronger if I lifted, but the most resistance I've gotten is lifting myself out of the saddle and cranking up hill. That's about the equivalent of climbing a few flights of stairs.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    See if resistance bands would be OK. They're often used to rehab injuries & strengthen injured muscles. I have a set of bodylastics and there are companies that make attachments like barbells & lat pulldown bars etc for them.
  • Cazzy34

Why am i asking....

I live this. issues with everything below L3. happened when I was 19 and now I am; well much older. I also have issues in the neck as well. I am actually back in PMR.

Do you have a dropped foot? or just lost feeling? ( my left leg is done, and now starting to have the loss of feeling in the right foot ).

No I don't have a dropped foot or anything, just some sciatica now and then. It's my right leg that is affected mostly. I have been lucky in the fact that I am not really impaired other than my restrictions which the neurologist highlighted. No lifting, running, jumping etc. I'm sure as I get older it will most certainly deteriorate and they did suggest fusing two vertebrae together, but I'm not doing that until it's really required.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dawnna76 wrote: »

losing weight is more about what you eat...exercise and resistance training in particular is going to have a profound impact on your body composition. When people lose weight but don't work their muscle, they lose that muscle along with fat...they lose weight, but they also lose muscle and that is what the OP is afraid of.

OP...I would think you would be a perfect candidate for swimming. It's low impact and I know some swimmers that do very little actual lifting that have phenomenal physiques. It seems to be a pretty good cardio/resistance workout and might be right up your ally.

Thanks, yes this is my fear. As I lose weight I'm worried I will end up with little muscle and looking too gaunt! Swimming could be an option, however I don't enjoy it much. Although I don't really think i'm in a position to be able to say no to something that could potentially help. Think I might give it a try!!
    i dont lift heavy but I am lean. I row a lot, run a bit, swim a bit, do kickboxing occasionally, some pushups, etc. However, working with a professional to start with is a good idea based on your limitations.

Sorry, can't do any of these things apart from swimming. All the others are too strenuous for my back! :(
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    can you use a stationary bike? swimming and biking could do a good job while maintaining a small deficit.
  • airborne18th
    Lower back surgery is basically a 50/50 shot.

Okay.. if you have not done PMR in a while you should try and get back and they will give you a routine.. You need to do that routine forever.. keeping your legs, core, and lower back as strong as possible is priority one. Also, no pain no gain is not the mantra for people with spine problems. Muscle stiffness is one thing, but you know the nerve pain and stop when that occurs.

Yoga actually helped with balance. learning the basic yoga alignment for the toes with the knees was hard work, but walking that way will help. you will find some of the stretching in yoga you can do, and some you cannot.. but it will really help with leg strength and into the lower back. ( seated chair took me 6 months until I could do it and against the wall, but that one is gold ).. so is warrior.. but that you have to have the balance and strength. ( I can still only partially do warrior ).

Cardio - The bike or spinning or whatever it is called now has always given me lower back pain. right now the PMR has me trying a seated one.. but that is not much better... I generally avoid the bike, but try it. They do have the bike that uses the hands,, that might be an option, but I have never seen one outside of a medical facility.

Swimming is your best option for cardio.. and really not just cardio. Water is your best friend for all exercises. from walking in the pool to build muscle strength to doing leg lifts and situps... I have a big enough of a bathtub that I do a full isometric routine in the tub.

The problem you will always face is not getting enough cardio.

Diet is important.. you need to always been focused on building and protecting connective tissue. Also since the activity level will always be limited you will always have the issue with burning fat.. The only way I burn fat is low carb. so talk to a doctor and see how you can address it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Losing weight comes from a caloric deficit. I agree with the others, try swimming.
  • Cazzy34

Okay.. if you have not done PMR in a while you should try and get back and they will give you a routine.. You need to do that routine forever.. keeping your legs, core, and lower back as strong as possible is priority one. Also, no pain no gain is not the mantra for people with spine problems. Muscle stiffness is one thing, but you know the nerve pain and stop when that occurs.

Yoga actually helped with balance. learning the basic yoga alignment for the toes with the knees was hard work, but walking that way will help. you will find some of the stretching in yoga you can do, and some you cannot.. but it will really help with leg strength and into the lower back. ( seated chair took me 6 months until I could do it and against the wall, but that one is gold ).. so is warrior.. but that you have to have the balance and strength. ( I can still only partially do warrior ).

Cardio - The bike or spinning or whatever it is called now has always given me lower back pain. right now the PMR has me trying a seated one.. but that is not much better... I generally avoid the bike, but try it. They do have the bike that uses the hands,, that might be an option, but I have never seen one outside of a medical facility.

Swimming is your best option for cardio.. and really not just cardio. Water is your best friend for all exercises. from walking in the pool to build muscle strength to doing leg lifts and situps... I have a big enough of a bathtub that I do a full isometric routine in the tub.

Diet is important.. you need to always been focused on building and protecting connective tissue. Also since the activity level will always be limited you will always have the issue with burning fat.. The only way I burn fat is low carb. so talk to a doctor and see how you can address it.

Thank you. I do try to do most things. I can bear the pain on a bike for 30 mins max but I can't do that everyday!!

I walk when I can and ive been trying to walk further so I can participate in a sponsored walk later this year!

I also stretch at home and do some light exercises that I was given at hospital. I've not tried yoga though, so that might be a good option. Swimming too. I hate getting myself in a costume due to embarrassment of scars but need to get over that I think! I'll certainly try that :)

I've been trying to keep my calories down so that I successfully lose weight, but as you say I don't want to lose muscle as I need that to help me in the long run!

I will keep pushing myself, but I don't want to end up where I was before or I will be going nowhere! Haha. x
  • airborne18th

Thank you. I do try to do most things. I can bear the pain on a bike for 30 mins max but I can't do that everyday!!

I walk when I can and ive been trying to walk further so I can participate in a sponsored walk later this year!

I also stretch at home and do some light exercises that I was given at hospital. I've not tried yoga though, so that might be a good option. Swimming too. I hate getting myself in a costume due to embarrassment of scars but need to get over that I think! I'll certainly try that :)

I've been trying to keep my calories down so that I successfully lose weight, but as you say I don't want to lose muscle as I need that to help me in the long run!

I will keep pushing myself, but I don't want to end up where I was before or I will be going nowhere! Haha. x

oh I almost forgot.. stand.. don't sit.. stand.. stand as much as possible. one exercise I got from my latest PMR that helped alot was called windshiled wiper.. laying down and sweeping your legs to the side ( do them one at a time )..