Indian food

Options
So I have to go to a curry house for a family occasion.
Advice on low fat indian food please x

Replies

• glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken.
  • HerewardWake
    HerewardWake Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fish Vindaloo.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Jinga. Yum! Don't eat the fried bread. :)
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    First off, most indian food is pretty healthy/low calorie, as it's very veggie & protein heavy. Avoid rice dishes, and you'll be fine.

Second, if you can't be bothered to look up a few options off a menu, how do you expect to maintain a healthy lifestyle? Empower yourself, keeley - look up the calorie contents of a few dishes you like, and either eat a reasonable portion, or order something else.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    mmmm... I've learned to love Indian food this past year or so! I haven't been to many restaurants, so I'm not sure how their preparations differ from the recipes I've made, but some things have more fat than you'd expect. they don't skimp on oil, even though they usually use vegetable oil, and some dishes (palak paneer, butter chicken, etc.) have quite a bit of cheese, cream, butter, or all three. anything described as vegan is probably low in fat, and any meat or fish preparation without an accompanying gravy is a good choice, too. the breads are amazing, but they're often served with butter already slathered over them. while to me that sounds like a piece of heaven on earth, I wouldn't describe is as low-fat either. :) enjoy your meal!
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Since I never know what I'm really consuming if I don't make it myself, and I do want to enjoy myself, (especially with Indian restaurants, which where I live tend to be buffet or family style anyway), I try to just eat very light during the day so I have a bunch of calories saved in the bank for eating out later. It's easier for me than trying to cross my fingers and hope the item I pick from the menu isn't THAT bad. I do, however, try to control my portions at the restaurant. Eat a little of the things I love, so I can have a good time and participate, but not have regrets.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    rf1170 wrote: »
    mmmm... I've learned to love Indian food this past year or so! I haven't been to many restaurants, so I'm not sure how their preparations differ from the recipes I've made, but some things have more fat than you'd expect. they don't skimp on oil, even though they usually use vegetable oil, and some dishes (palak paneer, butter chicken, etc.) have quite a bit of cheese, cream, butter, or all three. anything described as vegan is probably low in fat, and any meat or fish preparation without an accompanying gravy is a good choice, too. the breads are amazing, but they're often served with butter already slathered over them. while to me that sounds like a piece of heaven on earth, I wouldn't describe is as low-fat either. :) enjoy your meal!

"Low-fat" doesn't mean it's healthier.

Yes, restaurant food has more oil and whatnot in it. That's true of all food - we all know home-cooked tends to be healthier.

As for pointing at the butter in the bread... that's misguided. Surely, you recognize that the majority of the calories come from the bread?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    rf1170 wrote: »

"Low-fat" doesn't mean it's healthier.

Yes, restaurant food has more oil and whatnot in it. That's true of all food - we all know home-cooked tends to be healthier.

As for pointing at the butter in the bread... that's misguided. Surely, you recognize that the majority of the calories come from the bread?

The OP didn't ask about healthier foods or low-calorie foods. S/he specifically inquired about low-fat.

In naan or chapati, the majority of the *fat* - which is what the OP asked about - does in fact come from the butter or oil.
    First off, most indian food is pretty healthy/low calorie, as it's very veggie & protein heavy. Avoid rice dishes, and you'll be fine

Disagree with you there, too. Many Indian restaurant dishes are surprisingly high-calorie due to ghee, cream, and calorie-dense (but also nutrient-dense) legumes. It's not simply the rice dishes one might avoid if they want a lower calorie Indian meal.

• crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat dry dishes like tikka (no masala) saslikck is my personal favourite. I also share my accompaniments and have a roti instead of nan as stated above ghee is a staple in many curries and this is not low fat.
  • ceevee6
    ceevee6 Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Growing up in an Indian household (south Indian to be exact), I can assure you like many cuisines Indian food (especially at restaurants) cannot be always be panned as low in fat or "healthy" but the great thing is there different and exciting ways to eat your protein and veggies. There's usually a carb (rice or bread) that accompanies a curry dish. My take is, if you're going out to celebrate you can splurge a bit--try out half a cup of the jasmine rice and load on the veggies/protein. Good options are mutter paneer (peas + curd cheese in a sauce), saag paneer (spinach+cheese), an eggplant curry, chana masala (chickpeas), mutton (lamb), even a chicken dish (my fave is butter chicken--yeh, its just as rich as it sounds).

The meaty curries will have butter, oil, and sometimes even cream in them, but eat more of the meats and less of the sauce. Tandoori chicken is an option as it is marinated in yoghurt and baked in an oven. Avoid snacking on samosas, naan, and dishes with potatoes (aloo means potato)--they'll just make you bloated and full before you get to eat the real good stuff :smile: If you want breads, try out a half a naan or roti over a paratha which is covered in oil or puri (which is fried).

Also try things a bit spicy (try some mango pickle), they're super flavorful and hey, maybe can boast your metabolism! If this restaurant has a website, explore the menu and see what looks delicious (and nutritious) to you!
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I went for an Indian meal yesterday but had hardly anything to eat for the rest of the day as I knew the Indian would be high. I ate a total of 1650 calories for the day and allocated 1000 for the meal. It might sound like a lot but if you had what most people have it would be way more.

I basically enjoyed a small bread based starter (Puri), a poppadom and a main course of lamb tikka masala but scraped most of the sauce off the meat. I also had a spinach and cheese side dish instead of bread or rice so it wasn't so carb heavy and a small mango lassi.

If I'm being really good I'll just have a poppadom, skip the starter or have something tandoori or tikka based and then have another dry dish for my main, again without bread or rice but personally when I go out to eat I don't want to feel deprived so I'm a bit careful but not to the point I don't enjoy it.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Pappadoms, tandoori chicken, plain rice rather than pilau