no room to work out

Options
2»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    i need suggestions or links (youtube perhaps?) for good work outs that take very little space. and i do mean very little. i have maybe a "snow angel" amount of free space in my room. (meaning i, who is 5'9, could probably do a snow angel in my floor but thats the extent of the free space i have). its cold and snowy outside so im stuck inside.

make free space.
    join a gym.
    workout outside.

Excuses aren't helpful.

When I used to do P90X in my room I'd flip my bed and bed frame on its side to make more room to workout.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do you want to work out to build muscle,get fitter or just to un-sofa?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    i need suggestions or links (youtube perhaps?) for good work outs that take very little space. and i do mean very little. i have maybe a "snow angel" amount of free space in my room. (meaning i, who is 5'9, could probably do a snow angel in my floor but thats the extent of the free space i have). its cold and snowy outside so im stuck inside.

make free space.
    join a gym.
    workout outside.

Excuses aren't helpful.

When I used to do P90X in my room I'd flip my bed and bed frame on its side to make more room to workout.

nice! I used to reconfigure my room.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That's more space than I have, and I move a coffee table out and back every day to get the space I use. And, my ceiling is so low, I can't lift my arms far above my head. I make it work. So YouTube workouts should work just fine for you :)

I like:

Yoga with Adriene
    Sean Vigue
    Blogilates
    Fitness Blender
    Jillian Michaels
    Billy Blanks (boot camp series)
    Jessica Smith
    BeFIT

Just do modifications for anything you don't have space for. Don't let it stop you.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm in a 500 sq ft apt and I have to move my coffee table every day to work out. Most DVDs don't use up too much space - I second Jessica Smith and Leslie Sansone walking videos because you really do just stay in one spot the whole time. But try different things because you'll be surprised how little space you really need.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Belly dance. Yoga. Hand weights. Step aerobics.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Rearranging your furniture.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Stairs?
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to agree with fitnessblender.com - I may have a minor obsession with it :) Most of the workouts only take up about the space of a yoga mat and there are about a bajillion to choose from of all styles and fitness levels!
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You have room to lie down and room to rest against a wall? Great! Planks, pushups, squats, wall-sits, hip lifts. Get a bunch of body-weight static holds. These buggers, like planks, HURT... and you don't make noise or need a lot of room. And stuff like squats, you can do them with your own body weight in a small area. Want cardio? Get some dance game, like Dance Dance Revolution. Want weight training? Use your bodyweight, get a kettleball, get a couple of dumbells. Go jog in a mall--you might think that sounds insane, but I worked in a mall and you wouldn't believe how many people came in to walk before the stores opened/while the stores were opening. Join a gym.

Excuses are just excuses. I do my daily workout in a bathroom. Wall pushups, a plank, a wall-sit, and squats.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Can you move your furniture at all?

not really. well i COULD. itd be a work out within itself. but itd take a lot to rearrange things. and id have to do it daily because i wouldnt be able to keep it that way and still have access to everything the rest of the day.

Well, that sounds like a perfect resistance workout to me (not being jerky) :)
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Even at 5'6", I would be able to do a snow angel in the space that I have available.

I highly recommend YouTube or Fitness Blender. There are so many workouts available there that don't require much space. I even manage to do Jillian Michaels and novice dance workouts in my available space. You just have to be creative and change your positioning from time to time, but it's completely doable. You might feel silly, but at least your being active. :)