How do I log this?

Options
chevy88grl
chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
Okay -- I need some help you guys. I've recently switched up my workout routine. I'll try and make it as simple as possible when I explain it:

Before I go to the gym, I look through my exercise diary to see what set of machines I should be doing that day (due to a shoulder issue, I have to use machines vs the weights). For example, I might use the arm curl machine, the tricep one and the chest press. I track the weight I use and usually change my weight once a month or so. My goal is 10-15 reps on each machine.

Once I get to the gym, I warm up for 10 mins on the treadmill - 5 walking and then 5 running at a medium speed (like 4.6). Then I go do each of my 3 machines. Then back to the treadmill for 10 mins of running at 5.0 or so. Then back to the 3 machines again. Back to the treadmill for 10 mins of walking (3.8 or 3.9) with the incline set at 5 or 6. Then back to the machines for the final time. I then do each of the hip machines for 10 reps. After that, I head back to the treadmill for lower speed running (4.3) for 5 mins and then I cool down.

Should I be logging this as circuit training? I know I keep my heart rate up the entire time because I check it while on the treadmill each time I get off the treadmill, and then when I come back to the treadmill after doing the machines.

Unfortunately, right now a HRM isn't in the budget, so I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with. I've been logging the number of calories the treadmill says I burn and then logging the machine time as "strength training". Someone suggested logging it as circuit training since my heart rate is up the entire time.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert here but I would probably log it under circuit training.
  • jen0105
    jen0105 Posts: 5
    Options
    First off congrats on your weight loss, that is great!! I would divide the log in half. For example: If you are the gym for an hour and you are doing both then I would log half hour of strength and half hour of cardio. Or the next time you go, jot down how long you are on treadmill and how long you are strength training. Hope that helps!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Or log it indivdually.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been logging it individually - how many minutes total on the treadmill (it tells me calories, so I just add them all up each time I'm on it) and then strength training for how many ever minutes. There's quite a difference between logging individually and logging it as "circuit training". I suppose I could split the difference between individually logging and the circuit training amount. I can't wait to get a HRM so this won't be a guessing game anymore!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I would log as circuit training. It sounds like what you are doing is circuit training to me.