Questions for the ladies

Options
What's the best way to deal with the monthly visit while trying to maintain your workout schedule? I tend to do really good until that week and I fall off my routine really bad. And how to deal with bloating?

Replies

• TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ahaha oooh I know what you mean! For me I just do what I can, which usually means weight training but cutting back on the cardio until I'm feeling up to it. Just do what you can and don't beat yourself up over it. So long as you don't go crazy eating junk food for that week then it shouldn't matter too much.

Not sure on the bloating issue, usually I would say keep away from foods that cause bloating before you start getting your period. But that doesn't help too much when you already have it I guess! Hmm, drink plenty of water, that's all I can suggest.
  • tlbev2015
    Options
    Need to hear the results...only thought is limit salt, tea is a diaretic so maybe a cup will help?? Brew yourself to add your own sweetener low cal.
  • whitneylynn273
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • wdarwin
    wdarwin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    if you're not feeling good but want to stay consistent doing something, maybe some really gentle stretching/yoga. Lower back / crouchy stretches feel really good... also, motrin?
  • Emma8882015
    Emma8882015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    They say exercise is supposed to help with cramps and other lady troubles. I think they're full of it!! I make period week my flexibility week and just work on stretching.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're in really bad pain, or have bad nausea, I don't know.

If it is mild pain, or mostly emotional, then I have found that exercise helps immensely, so I just do it anyway. I do usually find I won't be able to perform as well -- like the energy just really honestly isn't there. So I don't feel bad if "giving it my best" is less than usual.

For mild nausea, I find yoga really helpful. Sort of a light to moderate intensity, but not quite as low as restorative. Some gentle vinyasa type deal? It's sometimes just a temporary fix though.

One thing I've found helpful if it's the *routine* you're worried about, and not just progress / calories burned. And I don't know what your workouts are, or how sick you are, so not sure if this can apply for you. But I basically show up to my workout anyway. Get in the clothes, move coffee table, put down mat. Then I do whatever I can or whatever I think would be helpful. You might look up restorative yoga -- there may be some poses that help with some of your symptoms. Yoga with Adriene on YouTube has several that might work for you? For Hangovers, For When You're Sick, Have a Headache, etc. Basically I go through the mental aspect of the routine, to keep the routine, because I find that beneficial. But I don't place expectations on my performance or which activities I choose, if really sick. (I mean, if I were REALLY super sick, I would stay in bed likely.)

And for bloating I... maybe I don't find it as uncomfortable as most people? Or I'm more distracted by the other symptoms? I tend to wear somewhat loose clothing? I just let it happen as it will.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling head achy or faint, I won't force myself to work out. There's no point in having a half butted work out, or falling off a stationary bike. Typically, I have cramps. Working out helps with them immensely. I feel so much better if I just get into the gym.

Bloating? I'm always bloated. Story of my life. I'm a salt monster. I just deal.