i'm new and i have questions about calories

Options
eyda
eyda Posts: 23 Member
Hi, i'm new to this MFP, just registered today and i have problems counting my calories intake. If the food are thos in packaging and have labels then i can look at the nutrition facts, but if i cook something at home for dinner how am i going to count the calories? if anybody can help me with this, please do so . thanks

anyway. i ate i set of sushi today, how much is the calories for that?

Replies

• eyda
    Options
    Hi, i'm new to this MFP, just registered today and i have problems counting my calories intake. If the food are thos in packaging and have labels then i can look at the nutrition facts, but if i cook something at home for dinner how am i going to count the calories? if anybody can help me with this, please do so . thanks

• RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options

welcome!:flowerforyou: i had sushi 2day 2...i went to the place where u add the food, at the top of the page and in the place where u put the food u choose add for breakfast lunch or dinner*... click it and put sushi in the item box...different types should come up...or is that what u made yourself?
  • eyda
    Options
    thanks blah7997,

so i can check the calories form there. But i still have to learn how big of portion a certain calories looks like. Or should i just measure all my food with a small cup, how mush calorie per cup then?..arrggghh i'm so lost.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    thanks blah7997,

so i can check the calories form there. But i still have to learn how big of portion a certain calories looks like. Or should i just measure all my food with a small cup, how mush calorie per cup then?..arrggghh i'm so lost.
    if you cook alot, i think you might have to measure and look at the serving size on the packages...i don't cook much but i have been eating things that are easy to record...there are already so many different items stored in the system that others have added already, maybe try typing some things in, they might already be in the system...i've been eating alot of soups and items that i can easily record but i do want to start cooking more...
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Check out all the "newbie" information. I'm sure they must give a lot of info that will help answer most of your questions.
    Also, if you're going to add a home cooked meal, you can go to : http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi and WELCOME!:flowerforyou:

It will take a bit of time, but you will get it!

If it is low cal veggies like broccoli a guess is ok. But if you are eating pasta, rice, meat...you want to weigh. i bought a cheap digital scale at Marshalls or Ross...10 bucks!

I weigh everything, still, and it ihas been 6 months.
  • Felixanvk
    Options
    Hi and WELCOME!:flowerforyou:

It will take a bit of time, but you will get it!

If it is low cal veggies like broccoli a guess is ok. But if you are eating pasta, rice, meat...you want to weigh. i bought a cheap digital scale at Marshalls or Ross...10 bucks!

I weigh everything, still, and it ihas been 6 months.

Do you have any idea how much would you eat. For example, rice- how much rice, or meat. One cup, 4 onz.? Do you have a list that I can use? It will helpful to use some of your experience.
    Take care
    Felixa
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    Check out all the "newbie" information. I'm sure they must give a lot of info that will help answer most of your questions.
    Also, if you're going to add a home cooked meal, you can go to : http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Thanks for the tip...i'll have to try that site too...
  • eyda
    Options

Yap, i'll sure try this site also, this is very informative and usefull for me to start counting my calories the right way.thanks a lot everybody.
  • josiah03
    Options
    one old rule for measuring how much you should eat is size things up by the size of your fist. you won't be able to count the calories unfortunately by doing this. but that is about the size your meal should be. i read once your stomache should be about the size of your fist. hope this helps : )