What was the last straw?

Options

Replies

• kmellinger3
    Options
    My husband said he no longer found me attractive. It hurt my feelings but got me motivated.

• tlbev2015
    Options
    SEMPER FI ~ HW 280: Not being able to tie shoes, reach toes to clip nails, buying a bra rrrrrr frustrating, going up from 3x to 4x. That loving family making negative comments about a politician having bariatric surgery then criticizing his failure...yet being discussed with FAT people who turn all FLABBY after losing weight! Or the Bro.in.law harping on his teen boy to stop pigging out....always seems to be when I am visiting! But does anyone ever even ask how I am or if I would like to start walking or buddy up for support, no. Just the somewhat subtle comments not REALLY about me but yet I know they are a result of my presence. Then that nice comical nephew slightly chunky joined the Marines. I did not want to be the FAT Aunt who could not walk the base or do the steps or keep up with family on our tour during his Graduation. So I began walking . . . He is now a U.S. MARINE and I am so proud of him and all he accomplished during crazy Boot camp, starving, pushing his body to the maximum limits...he is my inspiration. So I am still walking, joined Curves so I would not be self conscience at a gym with fit people and men...sorry men, got on MFP to track food and hopefully find friends in similar situations in their lives.
    CW: 264 and feeling better already, less bloated, more energy...doing this for me...but also want to surprise nephew, whenever I see him next (may be in June), that he is giving me the Inspiration to keep going. OORAH!
  • SosaMinosa
    SosaMinosa Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The final straw for me was when I actually bought a scale. For a really long time, I would guess as to what my weight was. I was really surprised that I was way over the weight I previously thought I was at. I knew after stepping on the scale and calculating my BMI (I was entry level obese) that I just had to act. I never turned back after that. That was about 8 months ago and I'm 41 pounds down. Only 6 more to go :)
  • Emdjoker64
    Emdjoker64 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just got so tired of feeling disgusted with myself. I don't care how other people see me, it's how I see me. And I am not happy with the way I look. So in order for me to be happy I have to lose weight.
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a final straw moment, so much as an "I'm ready" moment. My baby was 2 1/2 and could stay home with the big kids while I was at the gym. And yes, there was a groupon offer. It was the beginning of the year. I walked into the gym and told the salesman that there is no class reunion, no wedding, no nothing. I'm just ready.
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I got too fat for my clothes and I refused to buy anything bigger than the 42 waist paints I was wearing.
  • XBelispeakX
    Options
    I won an award for writing and a photograph of me circulated in the town's newspaper. My body looked disgusting, and for the first time ever, I realized I didn't have to be complacent with it
  • asm2014
    asm2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I saw some photos from the holidays and realized my face was so round looking! No matter how much makeup I put on, my facial features just sink into my chubby face. I also have PCOS and do not want to go back to using metformin. Since I started watching what I eat, I have been able to get my menstrual cycle going. I hope to lose 50-60 lbs before attempting to get pregnant.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My husband said he no longer found me attractive. It hurt my feelings but got me motivated.

Oh my, I'm so sorry! I can't imagine my husband saying that to me at all - I have so much I want to say but I think I'll hold my tongue. Just make sure you are doing this for yourself and not for your so called husband. #hugs
  • tlbev2015
    Options
    asm2014 wrote: »
    I saw some photos from the holidays and realized my face was so round looking! No matter how much makeup I put on, my facial features just sink into my chubby face. I also have PCOS and do not want to go back to using metformin. Since I started watching what I eat, I have been able to get my menstrual cycle going. I hope to lose 50-60 lbs before attempting to get pregnant.

You are smart to lose weight first. I was 200+ when I became pregnant and as the end neared I was extremely uncomfortable. I did not gain weight during pregnancy which was a good thing. I walked a lot to keep excess fluids from building. But unfortunately, every year since my baby was born (10yrs) now, I have gained 7-10 pounds a year. Hence my need to get on track, I can not keep up with pre-teen and don't want to be the Fat Mom the friends make fun of for my sake and hers!
  • asm2014
    asm2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    tlbev2015 wrote: »
    asm2014 wrote: »

You are smart to lose weight first. I was 200+ when I became pregnant and as the end neared I was extremely uncomfortable. I did not gain weight during pregnancy which was a good thing. I walked a lot to keep excess fluids from building. But unfortunately, every year since my baby was born (10yrs) now, I have gained 7-10 pounds a year. Hence my need to get on track, I can not keep up with pre-teen and don't want to be the Fat Mom the friends make fun of for my sake and hers!

Thanks!! I'm trying!!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was 50. I felt terrible physically.

I decided to weigh myself for the first time in years, and found I was 194lb and obese. Something snapped in my mind. So much going on around me in my life was so sad and difficult and circumstances around me not under my control. I thought "what would a sensible person do here?" Then I realised that getting myself in some sort of decent shape would help me face everything going on, and I can say that it has helped enormously. I am now 50lb down and life is much easier. I feel like a soldier ready for battle instead of lying defeated at the side of the road.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I guess it was acid reflux since that is what moved me to change my diet to find some relief, as antacids weren't doing anything anymore.
    Ate bland and that helped a lot, then tried watching calories as I transitioned to regular food. Counting was easier than I expected so I kept it up to lose weight. Have lost 81 lbs. and I don't think I've had acid reflux even once since I've been in a deficit.
  • kathrynrf89
    kathrynrf89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My husband and I want more than anything to start a family. I want to be healthy before I get pregnant. I've tried loosing weight before and always gave up. For the first time I feel like I have a real solid reason for loosing the weight, and it is the longest I have ever stuck to a plan.
  • tifsimmons91
    tifsimmons91 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My welding jackets barely buttoned up anymore and I was already wearing the biggest size my job has... that was a huge eye opener for me especially since a 3x was baggy on me over the summer. Now that I lost 10 lbs my jackets are fitting more comfortably again :) and I don't feel like such a beluga whale at work lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My cellulite was creeping from the back of my legs to the front, then toward my knees. Nope nope nope.
  • CatchingThemAll
    Options
    My husband and I want more than anything to start a family. I want to be healthy before I get pregnant. I've tried loosing weight before and always gave up. For the first time I feel like I have a real solid reason for loosing the weight, and it is the longest I have ever stuck to a plan.

That's a great reason to lose weight! Good luck to you and your husband!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Leading a Dave Ramsey FPU class about money management. Dave has a phrase - Adults make a plan and stick to it, children do whatever feels good at the moment.
    When I was struggling to get out of the car, going up the stairs to the bedroom was hard, clothes didn't fit and I was having trouble finding any, I decided to be an adult.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    That was 14 months and 87 lbs ago.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Leading a Dave Ramsey FPU class about money management. Dave has a phrase - Adults make a plan and stick to it, children do whatever feels good at the moment.
    When I was struggling to get out of the car, going up the stairs to the bedroom was hard, clothes didn't fit and I was having trouble finding any, I decided to be an adult.

I had a similar line of thinking when I started, too. I thought, "I'm 23. I'm not a kid anymore and I need to take responsibility for my health and take better care of myself."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!