Already gained weight after 2 days!

Options
Hi, I just started on the 24th along with Daily burn. I have about 20 pounds I need to lose. I thought the amount of calories I needed to eat was a lot because I grazed mostly and would find myself at the end of the day not eating an actual meal. Needless to say, I gained 1 pound and was shocked! My daughter who lost 20 pounds with this app said it could be I was starving my body and now that I'm being consistent my body is holding on to it. I don't know and I know it hasn't been long at all but I can't afford to gain weight and wonder if anyone else has experienced the same thing? Thanks

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're not starving your body. It's been two days. Weight fluctuates daily.

How many calories did MFP give you?
  • send2bb
    send2bb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1290 and 50% of that is carbs! I could live on carbs alone and feel that with that much intake, I could end up gaining more and considered "adjusting" the percentage. I then rationalized and thought I could use more vegetables and beans instead of breads and pastas!! I'm getting nervous
  • morrskie
    Options
    Don't worry about it! It's only been a few days, and everybody's weight fluctuates due to loads of reasons (such as water retention) - I can 'gain' two pounds in a single day, hahaha. :) So even if the scale's gone up a pound, I'd be 99% sure you haven't gained a pound! Just keep up with trying to stick to healthy habits and you'll be fine!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just hang in there and stay away from the scales for awhile. There are a lot of adjustments that have to made at the cellular level to switch from fat storing to fat burning. Let it happen. Don't frustrate and second-guess yourself.

P.S: I got rid of my scales. They lie.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You can't starve in a few days. You're not starving.
    And you didn't gain a pound in two days on 1290 calories. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE.
    Normal fluctuations.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    water weight or you need to poop
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Too early to panic. Did you habitually weigh yourself prior starting this? 2 lb gain can be for a variety of reasons, and is pretty normal.
    1290 cals is not a great deal but I do not know your stats for weight, age, height. The macros shouldn't matter much yet...give it some time. Its not like eating 1200 cals is going to make you gain 2 lbs in a few days anyway. Realistically speaking if it was that easy to gain 2lbs we would all be in trouble!!!!!!
  • send2bb
    Options
    Thanks Morrskie, I really appreciate your encouraging words... It's just that when you have fat in places you never had before and you check out a full view of your body and the face staring back is mortified and you hear yourself saying "that can't be MY body!" Any slight gain (real or imagined) becomes a big deal
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    send2bb wrote: »
    Thanks Morrskie, I really appreciate your encouraging words... It's just that when you have fat in places you never had before and you check out a full view of your body and the face staring back is mortified and you hear yourself saying "that can't be MY body!" Any slight gain (real or imagined) becomes a big deal

Been there..hang in there. Keep asking questions and educate yourself. Things will be good
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    One pound of fat is about 3,500 calories. Did you consume 3,500 calories over your BMR? Not likely. Relax. It takes a lot longer than 2 days to start to see results.

And BTW there's no such thing as "starvation mode."
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    dont weigh yourself everyday, do it every week/fortnight, exercise too :)
  • send2bb
    Options
    Thanks guys I really needed this boost of support!!! I am habitual with the scale and felt so proud of myself after 2 whole days o:) that I was sure I dropped a pound instead of gaining! I'm 51, going through menopause and had 2 knee replacements on the same knee that didn't go well so no matter what exercise I do I'm going to be in pain. I am determined but it can be depressing especially when I can recall less then 2 years ago I was hiking and power walking.....
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You can't starve in a few days. You're not starving.
    And you didn't gain a pound in two days on 1290 calories. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE.
    Normal fluctuations.

This...We all fluctuate. I only weigh myself once a week on the same day each week at about the same time of day. If I weighed daily, I'd probably be stressed. You can fluctuate day to day and throughout the course of the day, you can fluctuate a few pounds as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I really needed this boost of support!!! I am habitual with the scale and felt so proud of myself after 2 whole days o:) that I was sure I dropped a pound instead of gaining! I'm 51, going through menopause and had 2 knee replacements on the same knee that didn't go well so no matter what exercise I do I'm going to be in pain. I am determined but it can be depressing especially when I can recall less then 2 years ago I was hiking and power walking.....

Well hells bells the hormone hell of menopause can account for that scale number going up: WATER RETENTION!

Decide if you're a good daily weigher or not. Some folks like it, they like seeing patterns etc. Some folks stress over it. I like the data. :smile:

Good luck, and stick with it! with menopause it's going to be slow going, NOT like your daughter's experience at all.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

psst... have you had a chance to workout or walk in a pool for exercise? Aqua workouts help so much because there's no pressure on your joints. Definitely check it out if it's something you have nearby! ;) I don't know what I'd do without the pool sometimes.

So glad you feel calmer now... I totally understand when you start out you're on edge and expect things to work certain ways and they will fall into place, in their own time.

You got some positive and fantastic feedback :)
    Hearts <3
  • send2bb
    Options
    Yeah...menopause is not for the weak!!! I will keep pressing forward and keep my eyes on the goal. I can see how I should look; in-shape, in-style (retro/mod/bohemian) and not like my mothers generation :# !!! Thanks!
  • send2bb
    Options
    This is a great forum!! I'm so glad I "happened" upon it :). I was going to try this on my own but got so down because of the scale, my 2-days worth of effort and the mirror that I searched this site and found community and thought "why not!" Sooo glad I did... Thank you again everyone....this will be my daily booster to help me achieve my goal <3