I am 18% body fat at 221 but still look fat

Options
So I went to my campus gym and got my bf measured. To my surprise at about 5ft 7in 221 I am 18% body fat could this be right? I still have a good amount fat to lose especially in my thighs and abdomen area and my goal is to get to about 170 lean. So my question is 18% bf to about 8% bf will there be a night and day difference? I find it hard to believe im at 18% bf with this much bf left here is are some pics. Also what weight do you think I will be lean at? thanks.

http://imgur.com/uu1hyRT,IGSiZbz#0

http://imgur.com/uu1hyRT,IGSiZbz#1

Replies

• subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That does not sound likely to me. Based on your pictures I would have a hard time believing 18%. For reference, I am 5'8" 252lb and 35% body fat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are 18%.

How were you measured?
  • jakx39
    jakx39 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ok I thought so the fitness trainer used a caliber. He measured my pectoral ab and thigh area I have measuring tape any good website calculator i could use to measure my bf i keep getting mixed results when I go to some on google
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and in my pics I'm about 20% bodyfat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't think you are 18%. Probably closer to 30%?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyYFbzxA-a7aJletDF7Z6E_iTgdj5eB6i76gGUpJXyGMxPIiGY

How did they take your measurements? And who took them?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You are not 18% body fat. You will probably be a bit below 170 before you reach 8%.

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    This can't be correct - I'm 6.0 and 182 lb with a bf of about 13 %.
  • jakx39
    Options
    Ty for all the feedback I will get my bf remeasured tommorrow what weight do you think I will be lean at and any good bf calculators online?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is at bit over 11%.

There's no way your pic is 18%. If i had to guess from your posted pics, I'd say you are well into the 30s, Bro.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jakx39 wrote: »
    Ty for all the feedback I will get my bf remeasured tommorrow what weight do you think I will be lean at and any good bf calculators online?

Honestly, your body fat is high enough that an accurate measurement is a bit irrelevant (and it's harder to measure high body fat accurately). Let's say visually you're around 30%. That puts your lean mass at about 155 pounds and at 8% body fat you would weigh about 167 pounds.

Now, when we diet or diet and do cardio we lose lean mass. Our bodies find it easier to break down the proteins in our lean mass than to use fat. That means if you do no resistance training you'll lose some lean mass, putting your goal at lower than 167 pounds. If you follow a lifting program with progressive overload you will retain and possibly gain a little bit of lean mass. If you haven't been active for a while or you've never lifted I suggest looking into a beginner program and possibly seeking a trainer if you can.
  • jakx39
    Options
    I guess i have to start hitting weights then all I have been doing is cardio everyday for an hour.
    Btw i have lost 79lbs so far if that matters
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Go get tested in a bod pod. Those numbers don't make any sense.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I guess i have to start hitting weights then all I have been doing is cardio everyday for an hour.
    Btw i have lost 79lbs so far if that matters

That's a great loss...just keep going and hell yes, hit those weights

I think the inaccuracy of BF% has been covered .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Between 170lb-180lbs. I'm pretty lean at those parameters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The only accurate way to measure body fat is under water and it is very expensive. There is no way you are at 18% BF.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The only accurate way to measure body fat is under water and it is very expensive. There is no way you are at 18% BF.

You can do a dexa scan. I think I pay $20-30 every 6 months to track my body fat.