What do you think has the lowest calories?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    amf0324 wrote: »
    Yikes that's a tough menu to choose from! I agree on beef but be careful about sauces and sides...

It is a very tough menu! :) I ormally have no problems choosing something half-healthy... but i've never eaten this sort of food so i don't know what's in it or how it's cooked :O

I see lot of healthy things on the menu...calorie dense for sure, but also healthy.
  • joanjettsmyt
    Options
    Asked for steamed veggies (no butter), choose grilled over fried, ask for sauces on the side...
    Vegies with a little butter is better than no vegies. Enjoy your food

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    OK I'll tell you what sends off warning bells for high calories (not that this is a bad thing but just a warning)

- stuff with cream in it
    - stuff made of sausage (sausage is fatty)
    - stuff with pasta
    - anything crumbed eg schnitzel

I agree with others I'd go either the steak or Hungarian Goulash. Also another tip is to look up the calories in advance of menu items eg. Hungarian goulash

However I'd go the veal pastry cups, that looks tasty.
  • nutritionenthusiast
    Options
    Thanks all :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate the help!

And it's not so much for weight loss, I just know it's bad for me (any of them) so i'm trying to minimise the crap I put in.

And it's not that one meal won't 'make or break me', i've recently had the past two weeks of over eating and eating crap. I'm trying to get back into my good eating behaviours. Don't want to potential fall back when i'm only recently getting back to it! :)

It sounds like you are trying to force extremes in your eating. You call food crap and think it's bad for you instead of viewing an overall balance of eating nutrient dense foods while fitting tasty things in.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    13M.

GET 13M!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Going to a restaurant like that and getting steak would make me very sad.

I'd probably get 12M personally. Count 300-350 calories for the sausage, maybe 100 for the sauerkraut and even 400 for the potatoes... it could be worse.

I mean the steak alone would be 600 calories too.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The steak with sauce on the side will be your best bet for body composition. It's easy to look up the calories in a grilled filet. They should tell you how many ounces it is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate the help!

And it's not so much for weight loss, I just know it's bad for me (any of them) so i'm trying to minimise the crap I put in.

And it's not that one meal won't 'make or break me', i've recently had the past two weeks of over eating and eating crap. I'm trying to get back into my good eating behaviours. Don't want to potential fall back when i'm only recently getting back to it! :)

it is not "bad' for you ..it is just food ..

if you maintain your deficit for the day you will be fine…

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi could I have the steak, medium/medium rare, please and would you kindly trade my starch for extra veggies no sauce or butter or margarine on top of any of my food please. Glass of water with a slice of lemon. Thank you.

*substitute any of the other meat items if you don't want to go for the more expensive steak--you are still avoiding sauces and starches and other high calorie items.

a 6 to 8oz steak and veggies will be what? Anywhere from 500 to 800 calories.

does that come with a side of tears?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    2M or 3m for me.
    Embrace and enjoy new experiences.
    It maybe a once in a lifetime meal.
    Log 2000 and create deficit over 7 days.
    Thats how i stay in range.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    get the sauce on the side
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yes, ask them to put the sauce in a shot glass, so after you finish the protein, you can just shoot the sauce.
  • dbkle
    dbkle Posts: 44
    Options
    Go with the sausage and sauerkraut. Hearty and relatively few calories.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'll be going out to dinner tonight and pretty much the same scenario. What I do in these situations is order what I really want and divide the meal in half right away. I eat half at the restaurant & take the rest home. As for logging it, I just find the closest match in the database and call it a day. My husband does this as well & it's been working for both of us.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'll be going out to dinner tonight and pretty much the same scenario. What I do in these situations is order what I really want and divide the meal in half right away. I eat half at the restaurant & take the rest home. As for logging it, I just find the closest match in the database and call it a day. My husband does this as well & it's been working for both of us.

I'm always jealous of people who can do that. Most fancier restaurants like this have pretty small portions overall (ok the 7.5oz steak isn't small, but one sausage isn't that much food) and I can't imagine eating half of what's already arguably not enough food for me. I need volume.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    13M.

GET 13M!

Agreed, because goulash is awesome.

Also, I expect an update tomorrow with how awesome the food was. And if you're ridiculous like me, photos...
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What I would do is... just get whatever I wanted that sounded the most delicious. ONE meal, no matter how high in calories, is not going to have any negative impact on your weight or health, just like one day of fasting wouldn't make someone thin.

Any time I based my meal choice on calories only, I've always left feeling unsatisfied. It doesn't sound like this is some place you eat regularly, so just enjoy a good meal and relax.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd go with 13M, skip the Spatzle if I was trying to eat lower calorie/fat. If I didn't care, it would be 18M....yummy fatty, carby mess!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'd go for 3M because it looks delicious. Hopefully they have a decent wine list, an Alsatian Guwurztraminer would be really tasty with that dish. I'm still maintaining a deficit, at least on a weekly timeframe, so I'd account for all the cream sauce and other goodness by having a salad for lunch that day, a stroll after dinner, and possibly even another salad for breakfast the next morning. (I know I'm weird, I kind of like a nice crunchy salad for breakfast sometimes) Otherwise, I'd shrug it off as a good night out.

Food isn't "bad" for you at the level of one meal. Enjoy it, balance it out across your diet, and move on.