Potassium woes

Options
I am struggling meeting my potassium goals as I am on a prescription diuretic. I do not like bananas so that isn't an option. I have heard that many foods have potassium but the value isn't listed in the nutrient databases. Is this true or how can I make sure I am getting the right amount. I do not like the foot and leg cramps I get from not having enough.

Replies

• lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 3500-4000mg of potassium a day now and I do it by having a green smoothie every morning with leafy greens (kale, chard and even broccoli) and fruit. Really, mostly all fruits and veg contain a lot of potassium, so no need to rely on bananas. Whole milk, nuts, chicken breast all have a good amount as well.

When I'm logging, I actually go through all of the different listing until I find one that has the potassium listed. They're there, you just have to search them out. Often, searching for the USDA listing will produce an accurate calorie amount along with all of the nutrients.

Hope that helps!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true that many of the entries do not include the potassium values.
    I looked up the values of foods that contained potassium and made sure I picked the right entries on here.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Five foods w/ more potassium than a banana
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/foods-high-in-potassium
    Most people are getting enough potassium.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor if they can prescribe a potassium sparing diuretic instead? It would depend on what you're taking it for, but they do exist. Also ask the doctor about using a potassium supplement directly. I'm generally where I need to be, but I do keep them on hand for when leg cramps hit. They shouldn't be used daily without your doctor's supervision, but they're good to have on hand for when you do need them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    storys5 wrote: »
    I am struggling meeting my potassium goals as I am on a prescription diuretic. I do not like bananas so that isn't an option. I have heard that many foods have potassium but the value isn't listed in the nutrient databases. Is this true or how can I make sure I am getting the right amount. I do not like the foot and leg cramps I get from not having enough.
    I got tired of the cramping as well.

I ended up picking up some potassium citrate and dose that when needed. It's a good parachute, for when diet just isn't doing it for me.
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. I cannot stress this enough. I know people who have died both from too little or too much potassium. When I was in the ER a few months ago, mine was low and I wasn't even having cramps. I was told when you do have cramps, it's quite low. I'm not trying to be a fear-monger, but I lost my own mother who was young and healthy to low potassium. Your doctor can easily check your levels and tell you whether or not you need a supplement, and if you do, how much and what kind.

As another poster said, most people get more potassium than they think, so if you eat a varied diet with meat, veg (especially potatoes and leafy greens), and you're still low, it's likely due to a side-effect from the diuretic, and is even more reason to talk to your doc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A question I have is, is there a correlation between amount of potassium taken in, and change in mmol/L?

For example, based on my blood panel two days ago, my potassium, serum is 4.0 mmol/L. Lab has a reference range between 3.5 and 5.1, if I were to workout, get crampy, and take 3gr of potassium citrate, is there a known potential increase in mmol/L based on intake?
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I too get between 3500 to 4700 potassium. I do have an open food diary and I do track my potassium. The big potassium foods I eat are V8 low sodium. (50 calories, 140 sodium and a whoppin 900 potassium for 8 oz. The 5.5oz cans have 700 potassium. Raw mushrooms are very high in potassium too. 100g is over 300 potassium. Tomato's are another high end potassium. check out my food diary and see for yourself the amounts they contain
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I normally use this site if I'm looking for a way to increase a particular nutrient:
    whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90

It looks like leafy greens are your friend.
  • storys5
    storys5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help! I am scheduled to check labs at my next dr. Appt. he told me to drink orange juice when he put me on the diuretic. I can only drink so much trop50 though...thanks again for the help!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I was concerned about being low in potassium, too. As other posters have said, potassium isn't tracked on all labels or food database entries, so you may be getting more than you think. If you don't like bananas, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes with skin, kale, V-8 juice, even chicken soup has a lot of potassium. There is also an over the counter supplement (Nature Made has one) that is 99g. I take one in the AM and one at night if it looks like my numbers are low for the day. I just had my bloodwork done, and nutritionally I'm in great shape.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    pottasium.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No Salt has 650 mg of potassium in 1/4 teaspoon. Use it instead of salt in your cooking.

wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=351678&storeId=10052&langId=-1