Will lifting while losing weight help me keep muscle?

Options
I know losing muscle while loose weight is inevitable but will lifting minimize this? So far I lost about 80lbs and I weight 221. My lifts at around my highest weight are almost the same as now so it does not seem like im loosing strength. So is it necessary to lift or do i just need to make sure I eat enough protein and continue to lose weight. I do not mind lifting it just that I will be in the gym much longer if i start lifting and doing cardio now. I am going to get to about 170 hopefully i will be lean around that weight.

Replies

• Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    lifting along with sufficient protein intake will help preserve muscle , so yes. You seem to be in a similar situation as me with starting weight. I'm currently 171 and not as lean as I'd want to be right now, and I was lifting for pretty much the whole transformation. It's probably doable though.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just told you that in another thread, you could have asked for clarification in it instead of starting a new one. Drop some of that cardio (an hour is overkill) and pick a solid program.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely not inevitable to lose muscle while in a deficit, at least not for everyone. Yes, lifting will help, even more so if you get on a good novice program and follow it to the best of your ability.
  • jakx39
    jakx39 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ok i will try novice program uscmcmp do you recommend any work out programs that are quick and effective? 30 mins would totally be doable and sorry im still getting use to this myfitpal