Water Retention/Gains after starting a new program - In your experience?

Options
In your experience, how long does it usually take your body to normalize (from either a water retention perspective or a "noob gain" perspective) after a previously semi-sedentary person starts a new exercise program encompassing weights?

I have read several posts where people allude to not loosing weight at the beginning of a new workout program due to water retention for muscle repair or noob gains or other so I was just curious if there is a rule of thumb or collective experience that you can share.

TYIA :-)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    A couple days to a week, for me.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    In my experience, water weight never stops fluctuating. I sometimes get nearly 10 pounds of weight fluctuation week to week. I'm sure that's not all exercise related - sodium and carbohydrates in your diet can make a big difference, too.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Well, I started working out again 4 weeks ago (after an injury). I have "gained" 12lbs and i'm still holding it. It's lovely.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The human body is 50-65% water. You use water to repair muscle, remove waste, live. Focusing on a few pounds of water weight isn't the solution.

You're focused on the weight of the bucket.
    CvHrbqG.png

ETA: My weight fluctuates by as much as 6 pounds in a single day after some exercises. Just keep hitting your calorie goals and the extra weight disappears. It isn't any more real than weighing yourself before and after drinking a large glass of water. Of course you'll weigh more but your body doesn't hold onto it forever.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For me, when I started back weight training the last time, with my intake very carefully monitored, I gained a couple of pounds and stayed at the same weight for an entire month before the scale started going down.
    When I say stayed at the same weight, I am including normal daily fluctuations in that. I mean I stayed within the same weight range.

I don't think there is a rule of thumb since there are so many factors and with new workout routines, diet usually changes too.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    4-6 weeks for me. That was not dieting. Just squats, lunges, weights...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm up 8 pounds this week, I increased my weekly cardio by 6 hours.

Amazingly, I'm up even though I'm under my weekly intake deficit. heh. silly.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm at week 5 of stronglifts and the scale is just now starting to budge. My measurements were dropping, and I could see changes in my body, but the scale stayed the same. As long as your tracking accurately no need to be too worried about the scale.
  • jennifervfoster
    jennifervfoster Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It can be SO DISCOURAGING though! I started Cross fit recently to really push to get the last 4-6 kg off. I feel puffy, sore, and humongous! Super sore and took a rest day yesterday, scale is 3 kg higher today than Monday. AAAARGH!
  • jennifervfoster
    Options
    I'm also super hungry this week. Eating more eggs and nuts, but isn't quite doing it
  • jennifervfoster
    Options
    kandeye wrote: »
    I'm at week 5 of stronglifts and the scale is just now starting to budge. My measurements were dropping, and I could see changes in my body, but the scale stayed the same. As long as your tracking accurately no need to be too worried about the scale.
    What is the program you're doing? Sounds interesting!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There's usually a double whammy that happens. First the exercise repair makes you hold on to water, everyone is different. I'm now an experienced sporty person but I retained 2-3% of my body weight(over 3lb) this week after a new hill sprint session then dropped it overnight. Surprised me!

The other factor is the stall created by the fat cells emptying and simultaneously filling themselves with water, which they hold onto for in my case approx six weeks, then woosh, they empty overnight.

All cured by a couple of days rest, lots of carbs and alcohol. I'm not joking. Be sure that you've got your numbers right and you've put the weeks in first though, or it will just be like any other cheat day and you'll gain.

Remember, you're going for fat loss anyway! Water is good. It means you're eating well, your stores are up and your body is repairing and building muscle.
  • SunFlwr324
    SunFlwr324 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify I am not worried about the scale or the numbers not dropping since I know I am under my caloric intake goals, I am doing the right things with regards to hydration and exercise ... I was just curious how long to expect the impact from the new regime to last ... I am not tied to a number on the scale altho its nice to see a trend down I am looking for smaller measurements on my tape, smaller clothes and of course an increased health level ...

I have read alot (both on MFP and in general) about the scale not moving when you begin a new or increased fitness routine so I was more curious than anything else ...

I thank everyone for their replies thus far and sharing their experiences!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Anytime I get an increase in training volume or intensity, I see a 2-4kg increase on the scale. It sticks around until I get a deload, then pops back on as soon as the volume increases again.