Mini Fridge, No oven/microwave. What to Eat for a Week?

Options
I am going to a 7-8 day long out of town horse show, and the only thing I will have is a fridge. No microwave, no oven, no nothing. And the fridge will only be a mini fridge (and part of it is a freezer, that will be crammed full of ice packs for the horses' legs).
I will probably be able to go grocery shopping a max of 2 times on the trip.
So I am looking for a week's worth of meal ideas that only need a fridge. I can't really do salads as there really just won't be room in the fridge for that. I need smaller foods haha. I plan to eat around maintenance because I will be working as well as horse showing so my days will be long and a lot of hard work, so around 2000 cals or so. (I will be going fairly non stop from 6:30am till 11pm at night)
Sandwiches might be the obvious choice but I don't want to eat a sandwich for every meal.
I will let myself go out for supper twice.
Not sure what I will do for traveling, if I try to bring something with me or eat at fast food places along the way (trip will take at least 12 hours one way)
Any suggestions for small, fridge food that's easy to grab on the go?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you have a tea kettle and can heat up water, cup of soups and Quiona may work.

Otherwise,

Canned fish, cheese sticks, prepackaged vegetables.

That is a tough one.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    This is just impossible, dude. I think you're going to have to buy stuff out.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can take along some small appliances to help you? We lived out of a hotel room for 3 weeks last summer for my husband's job. I bought a small slow cooker (http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-slow-cooker-2-qt/-/A-16799398#prodSlot=_1_3) and brought along my 3 cup rice cooker. Between those two I was able to make some pretty healthy and filling meals.

Some of the meals I made in the slow cooker:
    -b/s chicken breasts, covered in salsa and then shredded. Ate this over rice or in tortillas.
    -beef stew, bought 1lb of precut stew meat and added a bag of frozen stew vegetables. Add a can of beef broth and some worcestershire sauce of you like
    -meatless chili (really just cans of beans and tomatoes together, add a seasoning packet if that's convenient for you)

And I actually roasted chicken in my rice cooker, believe it or not. I can't find the recipe I used, but it wasn't half bad.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I didn't wind up doing this, but a lot of people suggested I take along an electric skillet or griddle. Honestly, that sounds way better than eating sandwiches all week.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Take a crock pot or electric skillet with you, and your options will increase exponentially ( both variety and health wise ). Either can be had in the $20-40 range, if you dont already own.

The biggest problem the small size fridge and limited cooking options will be it forcing you twords processed foods ... and the huge amount of sodium they typically contain.

I've spent the last 10 months living in a studio, with only a college size fridge and limited cooking options. Im quite sure, if you set your mind to it, you can do it for a week with little trouble.

Do a google search, and you can find sites like this : with 100's of ideas / recipes for cooking healthy with limited tools.
  • NessJord
    Options
    I would bring a ton of pre-boiled eggs, they def last for a week in the fridge. Some canned tuna, canned corn (unsweetened), a bunch of tomatoes, some avocado and some whole grain wraps or pitas. Making my own tuna wraps is a classic for me when I go traveling and sometimes don't have a fridge at all!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how well a slow cooker would work. The only place I will have electricity (which is where the fridge will be) is in the barn and I'm not sure of having a crockpot cooking stuff in a barn...
    I like the idea of the eggs, would probably mix it with a bit of miracle whip and mustard for an egg salad type of thing. Canned tuna with some miracle whip for a sandwich (though I would need a can opener I suppose) I could possibly borrow a kettle, but soup isn't terribly grab and go.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Buy a rotisserie chicken that they sell at some grocery stores. Then you'll have an already cooked form of protein that you can implement into salads and sandwiches. It should last a few days in the fridge, so at least half your trip. Pre-hardboiled eggs, cans/cartons of soup, cans of tuna, and what ever breads you like are good things to pack and bring with you that won't need to be cold for the ride. If you bring mayo, buy a new jar that isn't opened so it travels well. Fruit doesn't need to be refrigerated, nor do many aged cheeses.
  • jennifervfoster
    jennifervfoster Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding/porridge is great and super filling. Overnight oats are the same. I eat these for lunch a lot. Top with dried fruit and nuts, whatever you want. Whole food bars (think Naked bars and the like), muesli and yogurt, and even things like dried/cured meat, olives, veggies, cheese. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am going to a 7-8 day long out of town horse show, and the only thing I will have is a fridge. No microwave, no oven, no nothing. And the fridge will only be a mini fridge (and part of it is a freezer, that will be crammed full of ice packs for the horses' legs).
    I will probably be able to go grocery shopping a max of 2 times on the trip.
    So I am looking for a week's worth of meal ideas that only need a fridge. I can't really do salads as there really just won't be room in the fridge for that. I need smaller foods haha. I plan to eat around maintenance because I will be working as well as horse showing so my days will be long and a lot of hard work, so around 2000 cals or so. (I will be going fairly non stop from 6:30am till 11pm at night)
    Sandwiches might be the obvious choice but I don't want to eat a sandwich for every meal.
    I will let myself go out for supper twice.
    Not sure what I will do for traveling, if I try to bring something with me or eat at fast food places along the way (trip will take at least 12 hours one way)
    Any suggestions for small, fridge food that's easy to grab on the go?

Let yourself go out for supper each evening.

Bring some fresh veggies that will last outside the fridge for the first three days. Bring cheese and crackers. Also some packaged items like tuna in a pouch. Also canned beans that you can eat at room temperature.
    Dried fruit. Almonds or pecans.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how well a slow cooker would work. The only place I will have electricity (which is where the fridge will be) is in the barn and I'm not sure of having a crockpot cooking stuff in a barn...
    I like the idea of the eggs, would probably mix it with a bit of miracle whip and mustard for an egg salad type of thing. Canned tuna with some miracle whip for a sandwich (though I would need a can opener I suppose) I could possibly borrow a kettle, but soup isn't terribly grab and go.

wait, you have access to the outdoors? are you in a place where it's winter? can you use a camping stove (outside of the barn)? make chili, that's what it's for
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You could also bye an inexpensive single burner (electric) and they run around $9 - $10 dollars. then take a small fry pan both are pretty flat and will allow you to cook some foods, burgers, eggs etc
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Loaf of bread, pita bread or tortilas
    peanut butter
    Fresh fruit
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Canned beans
    Canned tuna or chicken
    Trail mix, granoa bars
    Hard boiled eggs
    Canned fruit
    Instant oatmeal
    If you don't precut/peel vegetables they would probably be okay not being refrigerated for several days.
    Grill things on a small outdoor grill or bring a small electric indoor grill to cook some foods.
    clubkayak.com/greenwave/showpage.asp?page=nocookcampmeals
    survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=11463
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    chickpea salad on romaine leaf
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    What are the options for food in general there? Are there food trucks, etc?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will be in an RV type thing, but without power. It could be -30*C so I don't think cooking outside is gonna be an option.
    There are food venders (pizza hut, quiznos) and the same type of concession as you would find in a small hockey arena (hot dogs, nachos, etc) but I'm also trying to save some money (the trip will be more than expensive enough as it is) so doing more groceries rather than buying too much food.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Well, if it's going to be consistently cold, things like yogurt and eggs will keep in a shady spot outside of the fridge. Keep a couple of cases of bottled water maybe in your car if the lot will be accessible, drinks are a huge waste of money and calories if bought. And, if the water freezes, it will melt as you take it to warmer spaces...always cold due to the ice chunk remaining...

I ask about the vendors because when I picture your setting, all I can imagine is the one we have when my kids do the 4H county fair...and it sounds like the options are very similar. We at least have a vendor or two who do a chowder and/or chili, which are good high-protein warm options for a cold day....and hot coffee and tea is also welcome on those icy mornings.

I think you should bring a dozen or two hard boiled eggs and a big tub of greek yogurt, along with maybe some stable raw veg like carrots and celery and blanched broccoli and cauliflower. A nice tub of hummus will take you far as well, paired with pita chips, pretzels, and those veggies.

Have fun and good luck!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Make pasta ahead of time and bring in Tupperware container. I don't mind eating leftovers cold. You could pre make quesadillas. Cans of chicken or tuna for chicken/tuna salad with crackers.